What engine code do I have so I can set the timing?

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2021, 11:45 AM
Tubbed out 1972 Cutlass S

What engine code do I have so I can set the timing?

Hello everyone. Im trying to figure out what 350 Rocket engine I have in my 1972 olds cutlass supreme so I can set my timing for tdc to fire my engine for the first time. I know the code ( examples : QD,QA,QP ) supposed to be on the oil filler tube but the problem is, well, its not on there. Only thing on there is the numbers. Im taking a guess that my engine falls under the 350 Cu. In. 4Bbl At Eng. Code QJ, QP, QK as I have a 4bbl and I have an automatic engine. Trying to confirm before progressing.
Also, should I be setting my harmonic ballancer at 0° to start or what the book says in the picture. Much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old April 8th, 2021, 12:42 PM

Im taking a guess that my engine falls under the 350 Cu. In. 4Bbl At Eng. Code QJ, QP, QK as I have a 4bbl and I have an automatic engine.
Looks like you have it figured out right there.

If you had the distributor removed and the crank was rotated, its possible that the distributor could be off when it was reinstalled, and you do need to re-establish the proper distributor to camshaft relationship. Pull the #1 spark plug and rotate the engine so that the balancer is at 0-deg when #1 is at TDC on the compression stroke (both valves closed). Then stab the distributor home w/ the rotor pointed towards the #1 spark plug wire.
Old April 8th, 2021, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Your settings need to be for the 350 - 4bbl - auto trans. You set your dwell at 30* first because any change is dwell will change timing. Changes in timing do not effect dwell. Then cap the hose to the vacuum advance, set your idle speed at 1100, then adjust your timing so the index mark on the harmonic balancer points to 12* on the timing tab. Then lower your idle speed back to 600rpm with the trans set in the D position and your/helper foot on the brake. You may have to readjust your idle speed once you get your carb adjusted.
Old April 8th, 2021, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Elite Carpentry
Hello everyone. Im trying to figure out what 350 Rocket engine I have in my 1972 olds cutlass supreme so I can set my timing for tdc to fire my engine for the first time
Set it for the 12ş shown in the book, but be aware that almost any setting above TDC (zero degrees) will result in the engine firing. Once it's running, you can fine tune the timing.
Old April 8th, 2021, 01:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

Look, the reality is that those factory specs assume that you have a totally stock engine running on 1972 fuel. Today's gasoline has different properties than what these cars were designed for. The factory numbers are a starting point, but expect to have to play with timing depending on the gas you're using, any modifications to the engine, or any other changes from stock.
Old April 8th, 2021, 01:57 PM
Running On Empty

And.....once you have your dwell & timing established, you need to establish the proper A:F ratio. This ‘should’ be done with a vacuum gauge. Adjust your carburetor A/F mixture screws to achieve the highest vacuum possible. In most cases your vacuum should come in between 17.0” Hg to 19.0” Hg.
Old April 8th, 2021, 02:00 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
And.....once you have your dwell & timing established, you need to establish the proper A:F ratio. This ‘should’ be done with a vacuum gauge. Adjust your carburetor A/F mixture screws to achieve the highest vacuum possible. In most cases your vacuum should come in between 17.0” Hg to 19.0” Hg.
Actually, it should be done with an O2 sensor in the exhaust.

People spend a lot of time worrying about the idle mixture. You really want to worry about the entire operating range of the engine. That goes for timing as well as AFR. This is one place where an EFI system that also controls timing has an advantage. It's a lot easier to change the fuel and timing maps with an GUI (on the fly, even!) than with jets and advance weights.
Old April 8th, 2021, 02:23 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Actually, it should be done with an O2 sensor in the exhaust.
What page of the CSM is the O2 calibration? Are you the guy who suggested H2O2 for the X-15? Great suggestion, BTW.