Valve Cover Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Smile Valve Cover Gaskets

Hi, Guys and Gals,

I want to put new valve cover (or rocker arm) gaskets on my 330.

I'm confused by all of the different Fel-Pro gaskets for this engine. They have cork, 2 kinds of rubber and other materials ranging in price from $10 to $39!

Any ideas? Not a huge decision, but I want to do it right!

Thanks for the discussion~~

--Don
Old April 26th, 2010, 04:26 PM

hi i just did it and used rubber so if you ever change your mind you can reuse them but you can't do that with cork.
Old April 26th, 2010, 04:54 PM

I just did the valve cover gaskets on my 455 and used the thicker rubber ones from Fel-Pro. Once the valve cover is clean, lay the gasket on the flange and use a few bolts to keep it in place. This will help the gasket hold the correct shape. After a couple of days, spray a light coat of spray adhesive to bond the gasket to the cover and install.
Old April 26th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Thumbs up Thanks

Originally Posted by pacho442
hi i just did it and used rubber so if you ever change your mind you can reuse them but you can't do that with cork.
I was leaning that way! Figure if I pay $2.90 a gallon, I need the $40 gaskets!

--Don
Old April 26th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Originally Posted by oldsonharmont
I just did the valve cover gaskets on my 455 and used the thicker rubber ones from Fel-Pro. Once the valve cover is clean, lay the gasket on the flange and use a few bolts to keep it in place. This will help the gasket hold the correct shape. After a couple of days, spray a light coat of spray adhesive to bond the gasket to the cover and install.

Thanks for the directions!

I'll do it! The guy I bought the car from gave me a bunch of parts that he had. Had a nice set of valve cover gaskets and I took them out of the box today. They are nice thick rubber, but I noticed that they only had 4 holes! They were Chebby 283 gaskets! I checked the new set of plugs, and they were OK......

Thanks, again,

--Don

Last edited by Ddbord; April 26th, 2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old April 26th, 2010, 08:02 PM

The Felpro VS13403T is a really nice gasket. Only worth the money if you plan to remove cover on a regular / semi-regular basis.
Old April 26th, 2010, 08:14 PM

do not use RTV to glue the gaskets to the covers. it will make the gaskets slick and can squirt out of place when tightened. there are several products made just for the purpose. for years I've used Permatex High Tack.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...et_Sealant.htm

3M weatherstrip adhesive (aka super snot) works well also. providing the gaskets aren't over torqued the covers can be removed several times and still seal.
Old April 26th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
The Felpro VS13403T is a really nice gasket. Only worth the money if you plan to remove cover on a regular / semi-regular basis.

I'm not planning to remove until it leaks again!

Maybe a cheaper gasket?

Thanks for the input!

--Don
Old April 26th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Talking More gasket advice

Originally Posted by Blk71SX
do not use RTV to glue the gaskets to the covers. it will make the gaskets slick and can squirt out of place when tightened. there are several products made just for the purpose. for years I've used Permatex High Tack.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...et_Sealant.htm

3M weatherstrip adhesive (aka super snot) works well also. providing the gaskets aren't over torqued the covers can be removed several times and still seal.

Thanks "Dirty" Harry......

I've used that Perma Tex.

I'm wanting a good seal.....

I have a detail shop near here that's going to clean the engine bay... never been done!

--Don
Old April 27th, 2010, 02:45 AM

I had an old can of elmer's spray glue laying around, so that's what I used. I think Permatex makes a spray adhesive that does the same job. The idea is just to hold it to the valve cover until you install it. But it really helped a lot just letting the gasket lie flat for a few days to get kinks out from packaging.

By the way, very nice looking Jetstar!

Last edited by oldsonharmont; April 27th, 2010 at 02:47 AM. Reason: added comment
Old August 30th, 2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ddbord
Hi, Guys and Gals,

I want to put new valve cover gasket set (or rocker arm) on my 330.

I'm confused by all of the different Fel-Pro gaskets for this engine. They have cork, 2 kinds of rubber and other materials ranging in price from $10 to $39!

Any ideas? Not a huge decision, but I want to do it right!

Thanks for the discussion~~

--Don
Cork gaskets were the old school way to seal the engine sheetmetal. the cork would actually suck up oil and expand slightly making a better seal.

Last edited by kurtdaniel; August 30th, 2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old August 30th, 2010, 09:50 AM

I've always used the standard cork gaskets available at the auto parts store. I clean the valve cover and then use RTV to "glue" the gaskets to the valve cover. I let it set overnight and then I install the valve covers. It works great!
Old April 4th, 2012, 12:06 PM

What is the advantage of buying the super thick gaskets? Fel-pro makes two size gaskets for the 350ci; an 11/64 and a 3/32. Is there really a difference?

Sorry to dig up an old thread, thought it was better than starting a new one.
Old April 4th, 2012, 01:53 PM

I always use cork. just silicone them to the valve cover, let them set up for a 1/2 hour, install dry on the head side and they can be reused several times.
If you have to use rubber install them dry and make certain the rails on the cover aren't dented from overtightening or they will leak.
I've always found core to be more forgiving on a not so straight cover.
Old April 4th, 2012, 03:23 PM

I re-use Mr. Gasket 5875 valve cover gaskets, grease on the head side. They are cork with a black coating.
Old April 4th, 2012, 07:42 PM

I use the reuseable kind.

Black plastic with a red rubber o ring all the away around both sides.

SOOOOOO much easier than cork and don't leak
Old April 4th, 2012, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by oldsonharmont
Sorry guys, I appear to have quoted the wrong message. Oldsonharmont used the "super thick" gaskets. I'm assuming he means he 11/64 thickness. Is there any benefit to using these, as opposed to the standard 3/32's?

I'm guessing no, unless the covers are dented or whatnot. Just curious.
Old April 5th, 2012, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by jpc647
What is the advantage of buying the super thick gaskets? Fel-pro makes two size gaskets for the 350ci; an 11/64 and a 3/32. Is there really a difference?

Sorry to dig up an old thread, thought it was better than starting a new one.
When you do the math and fraction conversions () and see the size difference, the thicker ones are not excessively thick. You are correct - the thicker ones will allow more compression in warped or dented areas of the covers. I used the thicker ones and they looked as thick as the regular cork ones. After installing them, I had no leaks and they are not visible. I recommend them.

Here they are in my underhood resto thread, page 9...
Old April 5th, 2012, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
When you do the math and fraction conversions () and see the size difference, the thicker ones are not excessively thick. You are correct - the thicker ones will allow more compression in warped or dented areas of the covers. I used the thicker ones and they looked as thick as the regular cork ones. After installing them, I had no leaks and they are not visible. I recommend them.
Thanks for the clarification. Wasn't sure if there might have been another reason. Thank you sir.
Old April 12th, 2012, 06:50 PM

So just for clarification on the rubber gaskets no sealant is needed because its about time to do mine.