Trash? Old rods

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2023, 11:52 AM

Trash? Old rods

All 8 are like this...had machine shop perform and used torch not oven.
Old March 15th, 2023, 12:10 PM

They would most likely look like this had they used a rod oven.. Do the pins move freely in the piston? Whats the intended use? Factory rods are considered to be soft, and not really suited for much more than stock rebuilds unless polished and peened sidebeams, replaced rod bolts, and resized big ends
Old March 15th, 2023, 05:50 PM

They would most likely look like this had they used a rod oven... / You made my night. I jumped the gun a bit and assumed with the rainbow colors it was not any kind of approved method for increasing the size of the rod to fit the wrist pin. The shop confirmed to my satisfaction they used an oven - not a torch...and I felt like an azz.
Do the pins move freely in the piston? /They do but not on the rod.
Whats the intended use? / Not building a hot rod - not looking to make max power but do have new 6X cc heads to raise comp with a cam
Factory rods are considered to be soft, and not really suited for much more than stock rebuilds unless polished and peened sidebeams, replaced rod bolts, and resized big ends. / Agreed - "The only thing factory rods are good for is chucking them in the trash can" - Bill Trovato. I'm hoping for the best - all aftermarket rods are sold out at the moment and my devil is talking louder than my angel.

I'm living on karma.
Old March 15th, 2023, 11:05 PM

What temperature are they heating these rods ? How much press fit do they have ?
Old March 16th, 2023, 04:11 AM

Bill,
That is definitely from using a rod heater to heat the rods. You normally heat them to about 500 degrees so the pins will slide in. The interference fit is less than .001" usually around .0007"

That being said most of the time the rods do not get discolored that badly BUT if you glass bead them to make them look pretty it seems to make them discolor a bunch more. Thats probably what they did. It is probably just the surface. Take a very small wire brush and see if it takes most of it off. If so dont worry about it. Goodson actually used to sell a liquid to brush on that would take the discoloration off

If you feel comfortable with your machine shop I wouldnt worry about it much at all.
Old March 16th, 2023, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by BillK
Bill,
That is definitely from using a rod heater to heat the rods. You normally heat them to about 500 degrees so the pins will slide in. The interference fit is less than .001" usually around .0007"

That being said most of the time the rods do not get discolored that badly BUT if you glass bead them to make them look pretty it seems to make them discolor a bunch more. Thats probably what they did. It is probably just the surface. Take a very small wire brush and see if it takes most of it off. If so dont worry about it. Goodson actually used to sell a liquid to brush on that would take the discoloration off

If you feel comfortable with your machine shop I wouldnt worry about it much at all.

Fantastic - glad I posted as I feel much better about the condition they were returned. I'll be sure and keep the build updated - Thanks again to those that replied.
Old March 16th, 2023, 08:10 AM

Yup, totally normal.
Old November 20th, 2023, 07:47 PM

Last edited by Olds Performance Machine; November 20th, 2023 at 07:49 PM.