Thermal vacuum switch

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2012, 03:37 PM

Thermal vacuum switch

'83 Delta 307cu
I was replacing old hoses on the evap system, got up to the thermal vac switch and tried to carefully remove the hoses. It was no surprise when the 29 year old brittle plastic port broke off. the hose was nearly off too, but i guess i should've just used a utility knife to slit the hose lengthwise.
My question is does anyone have a suggestion for getting the tvs out? An open ended wrench won't make it down there, maybe a crow's foot with an extention? or snap off the plastic top and just use a deep socket rachet? What kind of thread sealant should be used on the new tvs?
Thanks in advance for any help
-Rob
Old January 29th, 2012, 04:44 PM

first off, is it possible to glue the broken piece back on with epoxy? Maybe something to try first.
If you can find a replacement, I think I would opt for the socket method, as long as it is a 6 pointer. You can try a crow foot, but stop at the fist sign of it slipping.

Permatex #2 on the threads will seal er up!
Old January 29th, 2012, 05:36 PM

Unfortunately it's too far gone to be glued back. I think i'll be able to find a new tvs. I'm more concerned about getting the old one out though. I have 6 point deep sockets so I will take your advice and use one. Hopefully it can get a good grip without slipping and rounding it off. Maybe i can use the crows foot on the new tvs since it won't need as much torque as the removal of the old one. I might be overthinking this but i just don't want to damage the intake manifold or have it snap off in there.
Old January 29th, 2012, 05:51 PM

I think you are thinking like I am. Bust off the old one and use a secure 6 point socket on it. Try both inch and metric and choose the tighter fitting one. Just make sure to pull on the ratchet handle with one hand and brace the other end of the ratchet with the other hand. If it still will not budge, an impact wrench on the socket might work better.
A crowfoot will get it in, as it will not need as much torque. Also the sealant lubes the threads.
Be sure to drain enough coolant to avoid a surprise during removal!
Old January 29th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Hangin' out...

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I think you are thinking like I am. Bust off the old one and use a secure 6 point socket on it. Try both inch and metric and choose the tighter fitting one. Just make sure to pull on the ratchet handle with one hand and brace the other end of the ratchet with the other hand. If it still will not budge, an impact wrench on the socket might work better.
A crowfoot will get it in, as it will not need as much torque. Also the sealant lubes the threads.
Be sure to drain enough coolant to avoid a surprise during removal!
x2
Old January 30th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rob delta
...or snap off the plastic top and just use a deep socket rachet?
That's how I do it. The part is trash already, don't waste your time. Use a six point socket.
Old January 31st, 2012, 08:27 AM

Ok all went well, I used a socket to remove the old tvs and tightened up the new one with a crow foot. I also replaced the canister control valve, canister filter and all the old hoses. So now I'm ready to start burning some serious gas vapors!!
Thanks for the help,

-Rob
Old January 31st, 2012, 09:31 AM

I love it when a plan comes together...
Old January 31st, 2012, 11:40 AM

What size did you use? I want to replace the tvs with a water temp probe for my stock gauges, but the tips of the tvs are not broken in my case and I want to keep it that way in case I want to use it for something else.

I have a 22mm O2 sensor socket, but it doesn't fit around the bolt, planing on using a crows foot, but what size. I don't have many crows feet
Old January 31st, 2012, 02:43 PM

I used a 7/8" crow's foot to install. Hopefully you can get it out, it'll only be contacting two sides with it. My old tvs was really in there, not sure if it would've come out without using a socket.