Ryan Weaver 1969 W-31 350 SBO engine build

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2016, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
If #5 core heads have suddenly become worth significantly more than $150, I'll happily sell mine. I wouldn't be motivated to go through all the hassle of shipping them for that... they were a two year head, so they aren't hard to find. A true unmolested set may be a bit more challenging, but they are out there and available for very reasonable money.
This is what I have seen as well:-)

I will stop by tonight to buy those heads, holy crap I just checked Google maps...............

Ryan
Old March 15th, 2016, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Im using the melling stock replacement pump.

Are you planning on going to adjustable rockers ?? like a full roller ??

I need to build it with the stamped rockers and non roller lifters for PSMCDR but would like to add the roller rockers in future.

Suggestions?

Ryan
Old March 15th, 2016, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rick Finsta
Priority Main. The idea behind restricting the top end is to "keep oil down where it's needed!" but it turns out the real answer is just using proper clearances. If you've got a machinist that doesn't want the rods, bearings, crank, and block in hand prior to machining anything, RUN. Lots of shops just use numbers out of a book and think clearances are what you get when the machine work is done. NO. Clearances are PLANNED from the start and you get what you wanted or you get your money back. I wasted a lot of money once paying attention to oil restriction to the top end, only to spin a bearing because of too-small rod side clearance. Maybe I should have bought a micrometer or dial bore gauge instead of sooper-speshul coated bearings (and I'm not saying don't use coatings, I'm saying it is a lower priority than proper clearances).

The book I recommended is excellent reading and contains the information you seek. I'm not endorsing all Bill's thoughts, but if you want everything in one place that book is an economical choice. I think most people who have built a few Olds engines would agree that you're better off spending $25 on that book than $40 on cam oil restrictors. If nothing else it will give you a better frame of reference to come back and ask more questions.

Rods - stock rods can be fine. Or not. "The mission drives the gear train." - Pat Rogers.
proper clearances are priority one, priority two is oil in the clearance:-)

I will buy the book soon.

Great advice, share clearances if you wish, I still have to research that whole topic:-)

Ryan
Old March 15th, 2016, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by 1BOSS83
x2, Read it, great book.

If you like video and want some commentary from the author, this is part 1 of a cool series on a very high performance stroker build but good olds information is covered.

Turbo "S71" Olds Engine Build Video BTR Performance Part 1 V8TV - YouTube
Thanks for sharing, that is a great series!!!!

I have met Kevin Oeste a few times, Super nice Guy!!

BTR is a great place wish they had a BTR-Canada:-)

Ryan
Old March 15th, 2016, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
I believe your Chassis Service Manual shows the layout of the oil passages. Not much to it. oil pump to filter. Bypass in filter adapter in case filter will not pass oil. Back into block to RH gallery. Front of RH gallery has plug with hole to oil timing chain. crossover to LH gallery is at the #1 main bearing- always thought a little smoothing here would help the R to L flow. It's 3 holes intersecting just above the #1 bearing top half. Be sure the plug at aft end of LH gallery has a hole to lube the distributor gear. Many a builder puts in "the new plug" instead of "the correct" plug.

Each main bearing also feeds up to the cam bearing. Each fore-aft gallery feeds up to the lifters. Lifters pump to the rockers and valves of course. Heads' oil goes back thru horizontal-ish passages at each end- anything you can do to help that return is a good idea. smooth the sharp edges. Can't really drill larger w/o getting into water or whatnot.

I have saved this so I can follow this map and understand the oil system.

I will also check the PIM, as you mentioned!!

Ryan
Old March 15th, 2016, 06:21 PM

Having a great SBO day:-)

Had a great chat with a W-31 owner who knows how to have fun with a W-31:-)

I got word all my suspension pieces and frame will be media blasted and returned to the powder coat facility tomorrow so I can check each part before hand:-) I can't wait to have a few shiny parts in the garage:-)

I appreciate the help!!!

Ryan
Old March 18th, 2016, 11:33 AM

I found this oil system write up:

http://blog.wrenchmanrepair.com/cate...mobile-engine/

I have read through the engine and engine dress up sections of the PIM but no explanation like was written on my thread (Thanks) or lie this write up. (I still have to read this write up and see it pertains exactly to Olds 350.)

Ryan
Old March 19th, 2016, 04:40 PM

Ryan, since you know what I'm planning, I've been procuring #5 heads. The last few years I've paid no more than $100/pair for unmolested cores. Not including shipping. They are out there, just need to shop around. Shipping to Canada though maybe another issue. Sorry, I'm not willing to let any of mine go at this time. Depending on how soon you want the motor done, you could pick up heads at Stanton or MCACN. Is there Fastenal in Canada? They are another shipping option.

I have those Speed-Pros in my VIN matching W-31 engine. They are heavy. The vin matching motor is getting stored and custom CPs (probably a budget buster for you) are planned for the new mill. There are several other piston options than the Speed-Pros
Old March 19th, 2016, 05:20 PM

Thanks Chris!!

Please share the other options:-)

Custom pistons are a little out of the budget as this one won't be a PSMCDR Killer just fun:-)

Ryan
Old March 20th, 2016, 05:46 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Deals do come around up here in Canada. I picked up a set of fully machined #6 heads with 2.07" intake valves, never ran for $400. Keep your eyes open on your local Kijji, that is where I found these 2 hours away.
Old March 20th, 2016, 09:02 AM
Hookers under Hood

Ryan, which builder are you using in Guelph? Active engines? Have they built many Olds engines?

Eric
Old March 20th, 2016, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by 76olds
Ryan, which builder are you using in Guelph? Active engines? Have they built many Olds engines?

Eric
Active is in Mississagua, I plan to visit them as well.

I visited Autoserv, small shop, highly recommended, very knowledgeable owner.

I plan to visit all the potential engine builders locally (that come recommended or have Oldsmobile experience) I don't want to pick quickly, I want to have my engine completed by September so I need to select a builder and set out the scope of work so he can provide a quote.

Plan to visit FJ Smith in Cayuga, and Douglas Engine Repair in Brantford next week.

The more I learn about engine rebuild the more I understand, the more I understand, the more I feel this warranty short block and original top end should be as stock as possible. To meet my goals (or my revised goals of performance, intended use, and cost)

Ryan
Old March 20th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Hookers under Hood

Sounds like you have a good plan with your build, I hope it goes well. Beattywoods (Jeff) in brampton/Mississauga is one you may want to check out. I've heard he does good work for a reasonable price he also purchased a dyno machine a while back.
I've been kicking around a build for my 350 the past few years, wanting more power etc. The more I question myself on power, the more I'm considering just a decent build with stock power.
I guess age is coming into play on my decisions more and more LOL.
All the best with your decisions, these guys are helping you out here, that's awesome. Money just can't buy the advice we get here.

Cheers
Eric

Last edited by 76olds; March 20th, 2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old March 20th, 2016, 10:07 AM

Sounds like you have a good plan with your build, I hope it goes well. Beattywoods (Jeff) in brampton/Mississauga is one you may want to check out. I've heard he does good work for a reasonable price he also purchased a dyno machine a while back.
I've been kicking around a build for my 350 the past few years, wanting more power etc. The more I question myself on power, the more I'm considering just a decent build with stock power.
I guess age is coming into play on my decisions more and more LOL.
All the best with your decisions, these guys are helping you out here, that's awesome. Money just can't buy the advice we get here.

Cheers
Eric
I just talked to a Chevelle friend and Beatty/Woods built his 496, and there are doing dyno testing this week. He said the dyno was old school but functional.

I will visit them as well.

Thanks for the note:-)

Ryan
Old March 20th, 2016, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
That depends....how fast do you want to go & how long do you want this NEXT engine to stay together. Now is not the time to pinch pennies. Build it right the 1st time.

Hard to disagree with this quote.....I agree 100%

Dan
Old March 20th, 2016, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Inline
About gearing. Think first where are you going to drive it. When i was seriously considering BBO, i didnt care, there for sure would have been enough torque to pull it despite of gearing.

But now when good SBO fall next to free to my hands, ive taken gearing into consideration too. Since i cant just hang with my cubes.
This is just one example, and my suggestion:

Wait until you have dynosheet of your motor. Then think where are you going to really drive it? Really drive, not where you fantasy to drive it all the time ( strip etc).
Take local speed-limits into consideration.
Im going to play my gearing so i have max acceleration when passing cars from local speed limits. For traffic-lights..? Dump the clutch with higher revs if you feel so. There are plenty of calculators on internet where you input your tire size etc, and can see your rpms with different speeds.

X1000 :-)

Dan
Old March 20th, 2016, 10:35 AM

(Sorry I used to be a Chevelle guy:-)......WTF.

Perhaps you should cancel you reservations to the NOCC. Busted! :-)

Dan
Old March 20th, 2016, 02:36 PM

Getting lots of feedback now:-)

Dan (Stiring the pot:-)

Ryan
Old March 20th, 2016, 06:03 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Make sure they have adequate center exhaust valve clearance or they stick. I am measuring this set.
Old March 20th, 2016, 06:15 PM

One builder I talked to said to use cast iron guides that are knurled or they will stick, and I have read the same concern with various outcomes.

I assume cast iron is stock?

Ryan
Old March 21st, 2016, 01:36 PM

you may need to stumble upon something like this
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...wisconsin.html

sell the heads and headers and swap on the correct stuff you need

as for pistons, probe, icon, wiseco, ross, keith black to name a few.
Old March 21st, 2016, 04:36 PM
Hookers under Hood

Ryan, you could also speak with a guy named Emillio at ECI engines. I just recently me a guy that lives in Toronto with a 73 Olds cutlass, said he was happy with his SBO from him.

Eric
Old March 21st, 2016, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by junior supercar
you may need to stumble upon something like this
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...wisconsin.html

sell the heads and headers and swap on the correct stuff you need

as for pistons, probe, icon, wiseco, ross, keith black to name a few.
Thanks Chris!!

I was looking at this one also, a little far away. (excuses excuses)

Ryan
Old March 21st, 2016, 05:50 PM

Ryan, you could also speak with a guy named Emillio at ECI engines. I just recently me a guy that lives in Toronto with a 73 Olds cutlass, said he was happy with his SBO from him.

Eric
Thanks for the tip!!

Ryan
Old March 27th, 2016, 07:26 AM

I re-watched the horsepower TV 350 Olds build and they used Eagle forged SBC rods, with Probe 0.030 Pistons, but mentioned a wrist pin bushing to accommodate the difference between the SBC 0.927" pin and the SBO 0.980" pin.

The difference would be 0.053" total but divided by two for wall thickness of 0.0265" that would be a thin bushing..........

I sent them an email to find out who sells the bushings or about them.....

Has anyone here used this combo?

Seems like the best cost effective option for the rotating assembly.

I haven't found cost effective modern, light, Forged, thin ring, short skirt, pistons with the SBC pin diameter at the SBO compression height with an SBO diameter 0.030" over.........

Ryan
Old March 27th, 2016, 07:55 AM

Engine builder

If you are looking for an Oldsmobile engine builder who is proximal to you talk to Dale (aka gmrocket) over on ROP.
Old March 27th, 2016, 09:33 AM

Are you not wanting to stroke or bore it? Having trouble following this thread. If so then yes you're very limited.
If not then just grind the crank to Chevy 2.100, use any aftermarket 6.200 sbc rod and you'll have a host of 1.425 compression distance, 4.125 bore sbc Pistons to choose from. I did one of these about 5-6 years ago. Came out great.
Old March 27th, 2016, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
If you are looking for an Oldsmobile engine builder who is proximal to you talk to Dale (aka gmrocket) over on ROP.
A few people have recommended him, I have PM'ed him on ROP but need his number to get in touch. 411 came up with nothing:-(

If someone has his number or Email please PM me and we will chat.

Ryan
Old March 27th, 2016, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Are you not wanting to stroke or bore it? Having trouble following this thread. If so then yes you're very limited.
If not then just grind the crank to Chevy 2.100, use any aftermarket 6.200 sbc rod and you'll have a host of 1.425 compression distance, 4.125 bore sbc Pistons to choose from. I did one of these about 5-6 years ago. Came out great.
I want to understand this rotating assembly you explained above, as an option.

But what I want to do is not stroke it to stay PSMCDR legal and use the 6.000" scat or eagle rod' does that work.

I would love to chat some day you have time Mark, your advice on here is prime time reading for me!!!

Ryan
Old March 27th, 2016, 10:06 AM

As this is a warranty replacement W-31 block I want to bore it 0.030", I am not too keen to go 0.068" as there will be little left for the future:-(

I have a spare 350 that could be done in that manner for fun but I want to compete at the PS drags:-)

Ryan
Old March 27th, 2016, 10:13 AM

Another concern I have is: Would the stock carb, intake, exhaust work with a stroker set up?

Ryan
Old March 27th, 2016, 02:14 PM

I saw that some of the 6.0" chevy rods are listed as NHRA legal for SBO, so you should be legal to use those for PSMCDR. The offset/stroker grind is another story. Getting a few more cubes would be nice on the street with the 3.42 gear, and would be fine with stock intake, carb, exhaust manifolds.

I forgot about the Probes when we were trading messages earlier...

You could call Probe and see if they'll make the flat top piston on a custom order with a 0.927" pin for use with the Chevy rod (can't remember if the compression distance is "right" on those, you could have that tweaked too). If you aren't moving anything else, it may not be horribly expensive. I'm not sure if there are any rod width challenges or beam offsets to deal with when using the Chevy rods on a SBO crank, Mark or others here should know all that.

The Probes and stock rods that are set up for floating pin with ARP bolts wouldn't be a bad deal either.
Old March 27th, 2016, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan 1969 Chevelle SS396
proper clearances are priority one, priority two is oil in the clearance:-)

I will buy the book soon.

Great advice, share clearances if you wish, I still have to research that whole topic:-)

Ryan
A rule of thumb that has worked well for years on performance builds is .001 clearance per inch of journal. So, on a SBO, .0021 +/- on the rods and .0025 on the mains (with perhaps a tad more on the wider #5 main) will be fine for a hot street strip build, IMHO.
Old March 27th, 2016, 04:52 PM

I want to understand this rotating assembly you explained above, as an option.

But what I want to do is not stroke it to stay PSMCDR legal and use the 6.000" scat or eagle rod' does that work.

I would love to chat some day you have time Mark, your advice on here is prime time reading for me!!!

Ryan
If you can't use a custom piston then that combination won't work.
Email me directly at fastone01@hotmail.com
Old March 27th, 2016, 05:25 PM

I re-watched the horsepower TV 350 Olds build and they used Eagle forged SBC rods, with Probe 0.030 Pistons, but mentioned a wrist pin bushing to accommodate the difference between the SBC 0.927" pin and the SBO 0.980" pin.
<snip>
I haven't found cost effective modern, light, Forged, thin ring, short skirt, pistons with the SBC pin diameter at the SBO compression height with an SBO diameter 0.030" over.........

Ryan
seems like you are considering a custom piston. probably best to keep the .927 pin if you are considering the above route, otherwise you are spending extra money. If the answer for considering the pin bushing is what I think it is, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old March 27th, 2016, 06:17 PM

If you can't use a custom piston then that combination won't work.
Email me directly at fastone01@hotmail.com
Thanks Mark

EMail sent, I am an amateur, i don't want to flood every body here with crazy thoughts and ideas, need a little steering to get me going in the right direction!!

Ryan
Old March 27th, 2016, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by junior supercar
seems like you are considering a custom piston. probably best to keep the .927 pin if you are considering the above route, otherwise you are spending extra money. If the answer for considering the pin bushing is what I think it is, I wouldn't worry about it.
Don't be shy Chris, have you heard of this before?

Ryan
Old March 28th, 2016, 04:43 PM

I have looked at this option tonight, looks to be beneficial in several ways, and reasonably cost effective. Mahle' And a few others have Pistons for this application........... What is the most reasonable (not cheap) piston and ring set?

Then I made a spread sheet to calculate SCR, I set up a couple tables for stock, and for the 6.200" Rod combo,

Then I started reading about DCR, seems very important and involved. I like to learn and understand everything about my car as I go through each system:-)

Then I re-watched the horsepower olds engine build and I checked the links to websites below and they seem to have used an off the shelf Eagle SBC 6.000" Rod and an off the shelf Probe 4.087 0.030 SBO piston. ( what I think they did was replace the bushings in the small ends of the new rods from 0.980 SBO bushings to 0.927" SBC bushings. This would be a stoch Compression height 1.615" piston........ I may have to call Courtney Hanson to find out:-)

Ryan
Old April 7th, 2016, 06:27 AM

Ryan , in looking through Summits online catalog , DSS racing has a forged flat top Chevy 400 piston in bore 4.125 , C.H 1.425 .$549 U.S .Add Chevy rod like Mark mentioned ,cut your crank to the chevy size and as a bonus you get a wee bit more stroke !
Old April 7th, 2016, 07:47 AM

I know about those pistons, thanks for pointing them out!!

My understanding is this would not be suitable for a stroke increase.

CH 1.4350 + RL 6.2000 + 1/2 stroke 1.6925 = 9.3175

Deck height 9.3300 - 9.3175 = 0.0125" to cut off the deck for zero piston height.

Ryan

Quick Reply: Ryan Weaver 1969 W-31 350 SBO engine build