running a mechanical advance distributor

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2009, 07:48 PM

running a mechanical advance distributor

I will be running an MSD mechanical advance distributor. is there anything I should be aware of before I put this distributor in? What will be the difference in how it drives? Drivability? Power?
Old February 17th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by The Stickman
I will be running an MSD mechanical advance distributor.
Uh, why? Vac advance is your friend on the street. I assume the CCC system in you wagon is long gone?
Old February 17th, 2009, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Uh, why? Vac advance is your friend on the street. I assume the CCC system in you wagon is long gone?
Yes the CCC is long gone. I picked up 2 Distributors way cheap. A Mallory vacuum advance used with MSD wires and coil for $100. I put this right on and it woke the car up bigtime. But I also bought a brand new MSD mechanical advance distributor for $175. Can't beat that. I plan on sending my 7AL-2 box back to MSD for a refit(it's a 4 cyl only model) as the distributor must use a box. It has the high output magnetic trigger. Now as for the why? Well I need two distributors if I am going to be able to swap the wife's wagon over to an Olds powerplant. I am hoping to find a DX block for a build for me and give her my cammed 350 or simply find something else in the mean time. But after seeing how much the car improved with the Mallory I wll not touch a stock distributor.
Old February 17th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Yes the CCC is long gone. I picked up 2 Distributors way cheap. A Mallory vacuum advance used with MSD wires and coil for $100. I put this right on and it woke the car up bigtime. But I also bought a brand new MSD mechanical advance distributor for $175. Can't beat that. I plan on sending my 7AL-2 box back to MSD for a refit(it's a 4 cyl only model) as the distributor must use a box. It has the high output magnetic trigger. Now as for the why? Well I need two distributors if I am going to be able to swap the wife's wagon over to an Olds powerplant. I am hoping to find a DX block for a build for me and give her my cammed 350 or simply find something else in the mean time. But after seeing how much the car improved with the Mallory I wll not touch a stock distributor.
Does the 7A box allow you to program an advance curve? Does it have a MAP sensor input? If so, then that's fine.
Old February 17th, 2009, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Does the 7A box allow you to program an advance curve? Does it have a MAP sensor input? If so, then that's fine.

No not that I am aware of. I have this box and it will only cost like $35 to fix it, and it cost $450 on up so I hate not to use it. ANd I already bought the distributor which I like better than the Mallory which is saying alot. I guess the best way is to just try it and see.
Old February 19th, 2009, 01:23 AM

........ What will be the difference in how it drives? ........
If both distributors are working properly (and the advance curves are the same) there will be no difference.

........ Mallory vacuum advance used with MSD wires and coil for $100. I put this right on and it woke the car up bigtime ........
In place of a CCC distributor with no computer, right?

........ after seeing how much the car improved with the Mallory I will not touch a stock distributor.
Once upon a time, I did the opposite: After seeing how much the car improved with the stock one, I will not touch a Mallory distributor.

Norm