Reversing JB Weld on Quadrajet fuel line inlet for restoration?

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2013, 02:38 PM

Reversing JB Weld on Quadrajet fuel line inlet for restoration?

Well, time has come where I want to rebuild the original Quadrajet that came on my 68 Cutlass Supreme. Problem is the fuel inlet has a fat coating of JB Weld. Is this FUBR? I called a local carb restore place and they told me they dont want to deal with that...but also that metal melts just under 800 degree which is what the JB Weld is rated at as well.

Are there any known carb builders that can handle this? Removing it and recoiling/rethreading the inlet?

quadjb.jpg
quadjb1.jpg
Old July 31st, 2013, 03:26 PM
72 Olds CS

I saw a reference to repairing that on one of the QJ rebuilder sites, IIRC it was like $75 to fix

Ill see if I cant find where i saw it

edit: didnt find it but Idid find a 2008 thread on v8buick from cliff

Re: Quadrajet Fuel Inlet Threads
The only permanent reliable/effective repair is to install a heli-coil insert, it is stronger than the original material. You do loose a tiny amount of sealing surface for the gasket, but we've never had a problem with them sealing up.

This repair should only be done by someone highly skilled with the correct equipment to make sure the filter housing is in correct alignment with main body for even contact all the way around the seal.

Using the expanding fittings is NOT recomended, they can come out, and burn your expensive restoration or Muscle car to the ground. They also swell up the carb and make installing a heli-coil and getting a good seal at the housing more difficult.

Same thing with oversize fittings, they chew up good material used to seat the heli-coil insert.

We charge $45 plus shipping for this repair, and have done hundreds of them without any problems. The only carburetors which do NOT take this repair well, are very early 1967 units that have had an expanding fitting in them at any point, as they are extremely thin in this area to start with.

We can also "spot face" the front of the housing if the seal area is damaged (common problem), and can machine off a small amount of the casting if an expanding fitting has it swelled up to much to get an effective seal at the gasket......Cliff

cliffshighperformance.com

Last edited by RetroRanger; July 31st, 2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old July 31st, 2013, 03:27 PM

Would an undamaged Q-jet core help any, just replaced mine on 71 350

carb ran pretty good but was almost impossible to start without starting fluid, then it ran great.

I don't like screwing around with bad carbs, why I ordered a replacement from Summit

Last edited by JPMDaddy; July 31st, 2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old July 31st, 2013, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
I saw a reference to repairing that on one of the QJ rebuilder sites, IIRC it was like $175 to fix

Ill see if I cant find where i saw it
A local carb repair shop quoted me $380 to rebuild it but he didn't want to deal with the JB Weld. He told me if I can get it out be might have someone who can rethread it but I dont want to end up spending $500+ just to rebuild it.

I pulled it off a year ago and put an Edelbrock on there but the Edelbrock lacks performance I think. I just want the Quadrajet back up and running. I would consider a number matching base I guess. But it would probably run the same as restore?
Old July 31st, 2013, 03:33 PM

Sparky can I bet. He did a great job fixing the inlet on my carb.

http://www.sparkyscarbs.com/
Old July 31st, 2013, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by JPMDaddy
Would an undamaged Q-jet core help any, just replaced mine on 71 350

carb ran pretty good but was almost impossible to start without starting fluid, then it ran great.

I don't like screwing around with bad carbs, why I ordered a replacement from Summit
I'm not sure really. I'm not that knowledgable on which years can interchange. My carb is a 7028250. I do have a good condition 7028251 also but its for a 400 I believe. If anyone can chime in here?
Old July 31st, 2013, 03:44 PM

always thought with a q-jet, that it used the CFM it needed, real little primaries and huge secondaries.

the summit replacement showed all applications from 455-350, all using 800cfm.

I had originally tried to order one from SMI.com, but they were too back ordered. theirs too was an 800cfm for the Olds, while all others they sold were 750...

So being a newbie to Olds myself, I'd like to see what others have to chime in too
Old August 8th, 2013, 07:10 PM

I had a carb place in California helicoil my fuel inlet and they did it crooked!!! Make sure you trust who does it. It seale on the inside so if it is crooked it is fubar. Good luck.