this really sucks.

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2009 | 12:27 AM

this really sucks.

so im pretty pissed right now. I got my rotating assy back from the machine shop and i was installing my crank and mains, well while "Q"ing them the number 3 main bolt snapped of in my f***ing block now im going to have to drill and easy out it out of the damn block or take the block to the shop and have them do it.
Old July 10th, 2009 | 02:21 AM

if the threads were ok in the block you should be able to just unscrew it after you get the cap back off. if it broke low enough that you cant grab it with your fingers you should just get a reversed drill bit. like i said, if the threads were clean and in good condition the thread stretch would have ben released when the bolt broke. it "should" just unscrew. i know in the real world things don't always work out the way they are supposed to so this may not be as easy as i say. be very careful with the drill and east out if this is the way you go. i call them maybe outs.
Old July 10th, 2009 | 05:33 AM

BUMMER! Hopefully there will be enough of the bolt to grab onto with a pair of vise grips. I wouldn't use an EZ out. I would rather pay $15 for a machine shop to get it out without damaging the threads than running the chance of breaking off an EZ out in the block. If those threads are damaged it could ruin the block. Once you get the main cap off soak that bad boy with PB blaster for a week straight. That should help "loosen" the bolt before trying to get it out. Of course, a main cap bolt probably shouldn't be seized in like an exhaust manifold bolt. Good luck!
Old July 10th, 2009 | 07:24 AM

Were they new bolts ? If so I would be sending the maker a email. If they were the originals I have heard they can get brittle from being under pressure for many years and not to reuse them.
Old July 10th, 2009 | 06:06 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Sounds like your reusing bolts and that asking for BIG problems,Just think if it didnt snap off and the first time you revved it to 5k the bolt broke.............NEW BOLTS EVERY TIME........Shoot thats the cheap stuff anyways..............Jerr
Old July 10th, 2009 | 06:15 PM

Unhappy

Tough break ,sounds like my luck.That does however convince me to get new fasteners.Do you guys use bolts or studs for the mains?later,BO
Old July 11th, 2009 | 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by 72 cutlass455
........ I have heard they can get brittle from being under pressure for many years ........
i-dont-think-so.jpg

Norm
Old July 11th, 2009 | 02:33 PM

Talking

Couldnt wait to use that one,could ya,norm?Nice photo of you though!Later,BO
Old July 12th, 2009 | 01:25 AM

yes i was reusing the old bolts. but now that im going through this i will buy new main bolts every time. it cant hurts since a new set of ARP bots are less then 35 bucks huh. ya live ya learn huh. Oh its going to the machine shop i dont want to break and easy out in it i know how reliable those shitty things are. I am a helicopter crew chief in the USAF and we use those sometime but most of the time they dont work
Old July 12th, 2009 | 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by 1973oldsomega
........ i will buy new main bolts every time ........
Good thinking.

Norm
Old July 12th, 2009 | 02:24 PM

Bolts

BTW- it's not being under pressure that will necessarily make a bolt brittle, it's the heat cycles.
Old July 12th, 2009 | 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
BTW- it's not being under pressure that will necessarily make a bolt brittle, it's the heat cycles.
In the 80's Ford V6 head bolts popped off. It's a great thing to have happen. Would the heat cycles do that?
Old July 12th, 2009 | 05:40 PM

........ it's not being under pressure that will necessarily make a bolt brittle, it's the heat cycles.
Heat cycles from ambient to above 1200° then returning it to ambient within seconds?

Not something that normally happens in an engine block.

Norm
Old July 12th, 2009 | 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by MN71W30
In the 80's Ford V6 head bolts popped off ........
Most likely, the bolt was too soft for the application.

Norm
Old July 12th, 2009 | 08:05 PM

bolts

You know it all Norm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 13th, 2009 | 06:17 AM

You know it all ........
Hardly.

Norm
Old July 13th, 2009 | 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
Hardly.

Norm
Norm, your just so dog gone humble.
Old July 13th, 2009 | 07:20 AM
Old(s) Fart

You know it all Norm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In this case, Norm's correct. There is a lot of misinformation out there about how metals behave. High strength fasteners such as main cap bolts do not just "get brittle". They may have internal flaws from manufacturing. They may have been nicked. They can get fatigued, but that would require hundreds of thousands, if not millions of torque cycles. They may have been overtorqued at some point. To change the heat treat on the material and cause brittleness, however, is not something that can happen in normal use.
Old July 13th, 2009 | 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
In this case, Norm's correct. There is a lot of misinformation out there about how metals behave. High strength fasteners such as main cap bolts do not just "get brittle". They may have internal flaws from manufacturing. They may have been nicked. They can get fatigued, but that would require hundreds of thousands, if not millions of torque cycles. They may have been overtorqued at some point. To change the heat treat on the material and cause brittleness, however, is not something that can happen in normal use.
Now this is an honest question Joe, I would like to know. So a "good" bolt,properly taken care of will last forever? Heating and cooling cycles won't affect them? But then you did say normal use didn't you? OK, then I have to ask how many perfect pieces are found in a production run of anything? (That includes aftermarket pieces).

Thanks
Old July 13th, 2009 | 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I did over torque the #3 main. i torqued it to 110- ft lbs it should of only been 80 ft lbs. So for the good news i talked to my dad and he said that it should back right out if i was to hit it with a chisel or a screw driver and turn it out as im doing it so i did it and since there was no tension on the bolt any more it back right now out i had it out in less then two minutes. So back to putting my engine together. I ordered some new ARP main bolts from summit today so they should be here this week. I was worried i would have to take it back to the machine shop but nope its all good now and i am a man again.
Old July 13th, 2009 | 12:19 PM

Check the installation instructions on the ARP bolts...I believe, without having them in front of me, that it requires that they be torqued, loosened then retourqued a few times to break them in so to speak...an important proceedure easily overlooked...

Dont ask me how I know that...
Old July 14th, 2009 | 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by 380 Racer
Now this is an honest question Joe, I would like to know. So a "good" bolt,properly taken care of will last forever? Heating and cooling cycles won't affect them? But then you did say normal use didn't you? OK, then I have to ask how many perfect pieces are found in a production run of anything? (That includes aftermarket pieces).

Thanks
Joe, these were legitimate questions that I would like to know the answers. I promise not to argue with you.
Old July 14th, 2009 | 03:45 PM

Most likely, the bolt was too soft for the application.

Norm
I'm thinking too hard Norm. If it was soft it would stretch.
JMO
Old July 14th, 2009 | 08:24 PM

Yes it would. Think a little harder.

Norm
Old July 14th, 2009 | 09:29 PM

So a "good" bolt,properly taken care of will last forever? ........
No one said anything about "forever".

........ Heating and cooling cycles won't affect them? ........
No one said they would, or would not, as it is not part of anything that was being discussed.

........ But then you did say normal use didn't you? ........
He did. Perfectly understandable, since nine second bracket cars are not being discussed.

........ how many perfect pieces are found in a production run of anything? ........
Impossible to say, due to the many factors involved.

........ these were legitimate questions ........
Not at all.

If they were "legitimate" they would have been far more specific, and far less argumentative.

OP stated the cause and his solution, so I see no reason for this thread to continue.

Norm
Old July 15th, 2009 | 12:07 AM

No one said anything about "forever".

No one said they would, or would not, as it is not part of anything that was being discussed.

He did. Perfectly understandable, since nine second bracket cars are not being discussed.

Impossible to say, due to the many factors involved.

Not at all.

If they were "legitimate" they would have been far more specific, and far less argumentative.

OP stated the cause and his solution, so I see no reason for this thread to continue.

Norm

close the thread, i see no reason for an argument to happen over a subject like this. I simply over torqued the bolt and get it out pretty easily. Thanks guys
Old July 15th, 2009 | 04:49 AM

Norm stop trying to answer questions you weren't asked and don't know the answers. I asked Joe because I wanted the correct answers. Plain and simple.
Old July 15th, 2009 | 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by 1973oldsomega
close the thread, i see no reason for an argument to happen over a subject like this. I simply over torqued the bolt and get it out pretty easily. Thanks guys
Thread closed at posters request
Old July 15th, 2009 | 09:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Joe, these were legitimate questions that I would like to know the answers. I promise not to argue with you.
Sorry, I didn't mean to blow you off. I meant to respond and had a senior moment...

Let me start by saying that there are two types of failures in metal parts, ductile and brittle.

Ductile failures involve stretching of the metal and almost always result from exceeding the yield and ultimate strengths of the material (metals have a yield strength, where loads exceed the elastic range and go into plastic - permanent - deformation, and an ultimate strength, where they break). A bolt that breaks from overtorquing usually exhibits a ductile failure.

Brittle failures involve failure of the metal without stretching or yielding. These most often occur as fatigue failures. The interesting thing about fatigue failures is that given enough cycles, they can occur at stresses below even the yield limit.

Fatigue failures are a science unto themselves. Every metal has what is known as an S-N curve, which plots cyclic load level against number of cycles to failure. The higher the load, the fewer cycles required to fail. Conversely, some metals actually have a load limit below which they will not fail, even at an infinite number of cycles. This long-winded explanation gets back to your original question. Yes, it IS possible for a bolt, when properly designed and installed, to last indefinitely.

Of course, there are a lot of variables in this. Does the head of the bolt fit flat against the bearing surface? Is the hole perfectly aligned? Are the threads clean and properly lubed? Was it torqued correctly? Etc, etc...

Newer motors incorporate single-use torque-to-yield bolts. This is done to maximize the strength of the bolt - stretching it work hardens the material - but the precise amount of stretch must be used. Too much and the bolt fails, too little and the joint is not strong enough. Over torquing a normal bolt will have the same effect - stretching it once will render it unsuitable to reuse.

And you are correct, mass produced parts tend to have variability, but bolts, particularly high strength fasteners, are perhaps the least variable mass produced parts around. Centuries of experience has produced precision screw machines that can repeatably manufacture precision fasteners.