Ping when starting?

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2014, 09:03 PM

Ping when starting?

Not sure how else to describe it, it just sounds like a ping when the engine first catches on start up. Just one and then it runs fine.
For those that haven't read my million page "pulling the motor" thread;
Original 350 with heads refreshed new exhaust valves, a few new intake, seals, etc.), new cam, matching springs, new rockers, double roller timing chain, performer intake, Q-jet, original oil pump with new pickup (40 lbs oil pressure when cruising), HEI "upgrade" etc, etc. Didn't touch the short block.

Running 18* initial, 13* on vac can (hooked to ported, likes it better that way), 48* all in.

Thoughts?
Old August 6th, 2014, 09:18 PM

You don't have the timing all in at startup. You have whatever your initial is plus the vacuum once the motor starts. You get the additional centrifugal as the rpms increase....
Old August 7th, 2014, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Is it hesitating when you crank it hot? Are you running a quality fuel? Try running the midgrade.
Old August 7th, 2014, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by RandyS
You don't have the timing all in at startup. You have whatever your initial is plus the vacuum once the motor starts. You get the additional centrifugal as the rpms increase....
Lol, yeah. I just added those specs in case they were helpful.

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Is it hesitating when you crank it hot? Are you running a quality fuel? Try running the midgrade.
Depends on what you mean by "hot". When cold it starts without even a full turn (I think), vroom! If I shut it off hot and start it again, say 5-10 minutes later with no pump of the pedal, same thing, vrooom! Anything in between isn't quite so easy. I tend to flood it. Owner's manual says half a pump of the pedal, then turn it over. That tends to flood it. What seems to work best is to turn it over for maybe one second and then lightly press on the gas. Sometimes that works but more often I flood it. It always starts but blows white smoke out the tailpipe (only in these instances), smells heavily of fuel, and runs rough for a few seconds.
I try to stick with Marathon. It seems the best around here. The freedom gas (closest to us) gummed up my riding mower so bad I had to clean the carb and unstick the float.
But considering my 8.4:1 CR, I was using the 87 octane. Should I step it up?
Old August 7th, 2014, 07:15 AM
Administrator

You might consider running the midgrade during the really hot summer months and see if that corrects your slight ping on start up. When it's hot, turn the key and start cranking the engine, if the engine spins a bit then push the pedal down a small amount.
Old August 7th, 2014, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
You might consider running the midgrade during the really hot summer months and see if that corrects your slight ping on start up. When it's hot, turn the key and start cranking the engine, if the engine spins a bit then push the pedal down a small amount.
I'll give the higher octane a try. And yes, your hot-start procedure seems to work best. Is it partly the higher initial advance?
Old August 7th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Probably due to higher initial advance combined with crappy fuel.
Old August 7th, 2014, 10:52 PM

Filled her today with marathon 89. I'll see if it helps.