PCV routing and intake questions on Olds 350

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2011, 04:41 PM

PCV routing and intake questions on Olds 350

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum, just got an 86 Buick Regal (built up to look like a GN/GNX) that has an Olds 350 in it, as apparently the original 307 was stuck.

I was told and have confirmed its an early block (casting #395558) with later smog heads (casting #411929). The engine has good oil pressure and doesn't smoke so I'm leaving it alone - the low compression ratio isn't a huge deal, I won't be racing it.

Now to my specific question: how should the PCV be routed? As it is (pics below), there is a PCV valve incorrectly placed in the valve cover (it should have the longer grommet for the valve, I'll get one) going to the carburetor. I see no place where gases directly from the crankcase are being inducted into the carburetor, unless there is a passageway from the crankcase to the rocker-arms that I'm unaware of.

Another thing: The intake manifold has really screwed up holes for the choke tube and is leaking exhaust. From what I've read the aluminum A4 intake is an inexpensive way to go, and I think I'll replace it with one of those. Does anyone know where I can get one? If you have one you want to sell, PM me please.

Lastly, a minor question: it has 5 hole valve covers on it - would these 73-76 heads have 10 holes underneath?

Thanks in advance for any help, and if you notice anything else that is wrong or I should fix, please feel free to mention it, my feelings won't be hurt - I know I have a project.

Old April 30th, 2011, 06:06 PM
InfoJunkie

Originally Posted by the_duke
how should the PCV be routed?
It should be routed as it is in the picture. Check this link for the proper grommet.

unless there is a passageway from the crankcase to the rocker-arms that I'm unaware of.
There is a passageway.

screwed up holes for the choke tube and is leaking exhaust
It looks like the gasket is leaking. There should be no exhaust in the tubes above the intake.

it has 5 hole valve covers on it - would these 73-76 heads have 10 holes underneath?
The 5 bolt covers work fine on the 10 bolt heads.

It also looks like the EGR gasket may be leaking.

Good luck with the project.
Old April 30th, 2011, 11:14 PM

Hey InfoJunkie, thanks for the info, appreciate it!

It looks like the gasket is leaking. There should be no exhaust in the tubes above the intake.
You are correct, I should have been more clear. The gasket is leaking because the threaded holes in the intake manifold that heat tube plate bolts to are stripped, and the back one has the back half busted off and they just used a longer bolt. I don't know if its repairable, hence I'm thinking of getting an A4 manifold.