Original 350R

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2009, 07:28 AM
Tha' Big Dog

Question Original 350R

I have a '72 Cutlass S with the original 350 which had only 48k miles on it when purchased. I state its the original because over the years I've only had to replace the v/c gaskets and the water pump, and both had the factory gaskets on them. And it still has the 2bll carb and intake which I had to replace also(the carb, that is) due to cracking around the bolt hole. I figure those would have been the first things gone if anyone had done anything to it.

Anyway, what I want to do is to "freshen it up" and give it a little more gitty-up. I've never had it on the track, but as-is it will smoke 1 or sometimes both tires across the intersection. I bought the Olds V8 engine book recommended elsewhere on this site and am reading it but as a newb to the engine bay, some(most) of it is over my head. I know moving to the 4bll is 1st priority and to that end I just bought a used Edelbrock Performer RPM intake from Dennisg(thank you Dennis).

My questions are many, starting with how much carb is needed for this set-up? I've heard 750cfm is the "ideal" and others say that's way too much carb and that I should go with the 600(650?). Also cams are brain surgery as far as I'm concerned. I don't understand the numbers or degrees, etc... And lastly, the Olds book says that a stock engine that is running good(i.e. no leaks, stalling, mis-fires, etc...) doesn't need a block rebuild. Do you guys find this to be true?

I honestly believe that the best info on Oldsmobiles comes from the knowledgeable posters on this site so I'm looking forward to all the answers and opinions coming from you guys(or girls if it applies). If I didn't mention it before, this is never going to be a track star or show car, just my weekend driver that I know will smoke most ricers and hopefully some American muscle from red light to red light.

Thank you all for reading such a long post and for your willingness to share your accumulative knowledge.
I do appreciate it.
Walt
Old July 1st, 2009, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by A72CUTLAS
........ how much carb is needed for this set-up? ........
Q-Jet (750 CFM) is what the factory used.

........ others say that's way too much carb and that I should go with the 600(650?) ........
I would have asked your "others" to explain how the factory carb could be "too much".

........ a stock engine that is running good(i.e. no leaks, stalling, mis-fires, etc...) doesn't need a block rebuild ........
Except that the statement is over simplified and the term is "engine rebuild", it is correct.

Norm
Old July 1st, 2009, 02:00 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
Q-Jet (750 CFM) is what the factory used.
Yes, but I would argue that a 750 CFM Qjet is much more flexible in terms of the variety of engine sizes covered instead of, say, a Holley 750 DP. The Qjet has multiple concentric venturies on the primary side that helps increase the signal in those barrels for improved response and it also has the spring loaded air valve on the secondary side that helps the carb "adapt" to different engine sizes and corresponding flow rates.
Old July 1st, 2009, 06:38 PM

If it was me, I would change the intake and carb as you plan to, but since you are then halfway there, upgrade the cam. A Q-jet rebuilt by a pro would be hard to beat and cost about the same as a Holley Street Avenger You can pick up stock 4 bbl cast intakes for next to nothing, or upgrade to an Edelbrock Performer, $225 new but plenty around used for $100 or so. Stock cam specs are .400 lift and 194 @ .050 (or so) on the intake. The compression ratio in 72 was mid 8.xx to 1, so don't go crazy. A mild cam in the .450-.460 and 205 range will perk it up without affecting throttle response and driveability. The 307 vin "9" cam is a good low cost choice and is much better than the often used 204/214 generic cam, IMO. You will also be upgrading the timing chain and gears, and for less than another $100 replace the fuel and water pumps, too.
After that, I would consider exhaust upgrades, either to a good dual system or go all the way with headers, depending on your goals, budget, and experience/ability.
Old July 1st, 2009, 09:08 PM
Tha' Big Dog

I appreciate all the response, though the cam stuff is still over my head. But I don't have to understand it, just have to order the correct one.

Joe P, the Q-jet always scared me because it's been said it is so hard to get and keep tuned, which your description doesn't ease my mind one bit. Is it a set it once type or will I be fiddlin' with it every month or so? Also will it work on a Edelbrock Performer RPM?

Captjim, I've got Flowtech headers, mufflers, and an H-pipe ready to go so the exhaust is good. I bought a used Ed. Perf. RPM intake from DenniG. already, thereby the carb questions. Is there a certain cam maker that works better for Olds? Crane, Lunati, etc...? On the Water/Fuel pump, should they be high-volume or will stock do alright? I know these are a lot of ?'s but I don't want to take a good driver and make it worse!

Thanks to all you guys for your help.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:46 AM

........ Q-jet always scared me because it's been said it is so hard to get and keep tuned ........
Internet myth. Unless someone has been "fixing it" you should be able to bolt it on and forget it.

Contact "70Wcars" via PM or http://www.sparkyscarbs.com for more.

Norm
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

... Q-jet always scared me because it's been said it is so hard to get and keep tuned...
Internet myth. Unless someone has been "fixing it" you should be able to bolt it on and forget it.
It's a myth that long predates the internet. Qjets are definitely set-and-forget, given that they are happily working on tens of millions of GM cars and trucks still on the road.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:28 AM
Tha' Big Dog

Thanks guys for clearing up my mis-info. Now whenever I see a post mentioning Qjets, theres also a casting or part # along with it. were there different 4bll for each engine and if so which one should I be looking for?
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:30 AM

........ will it work on a Edelbrock Performer RPM? ........
It will.

........ Is there a certain cam maker that works better for Olds? ........
No. Cam choice is based partly on the individual application, but mostly on personal preference.

........ Water/Fuel pump, should they be high-volume or will stock do ........
OEM quality replacements will work fine.

........ were there different 4bll for each engine ........
Same carb, with some small differences in tuning

........ Contact "70Wcars" via PM or http://www.sparkyscarbs.com for more.
Both of these guys can provide whatever you need.

Norm
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:55 AM

Captjim, I've got Flowtech headers, mufflers, and an H-pipe ready to go so the exhaust is good. I bought a used Ed. Perf. RPM intake from DenniG. already, thereby the carb questions. Is there a certain cam maker that works better for Olds? Crane, Lunati, etc...? On the Water/Fuel pump, should they be high-volume or will stock do alright? I know these are a lot of ?'s but I don't want to take a good driver and make it worse!

Thanks to all you guys for your help.
Delco stock replacement pumps will be fine, or any quality unit, as Norm stated. I personally think the Performer would be a better choice in this application. As to cams, instead of a manufacturer, find an Olds builder, like Rocket Racing, MJ Proformance, etc, and get a recommendation from them. Custom cams cost the same as an off-the-shelf version. But, IMO, a cam like this would be a good choice,
http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1720&gid=287