Open Element Air Breather vs. Snorkel

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2013, 05:49 PM

Open Element Air Breather vs. Snorkel

Hey Guys,

You guys have become my go to source for any and all questions pertaining to my Cutlass.

When I first started working on the car, the snorkel air breather just didn't sit well with me although it had a very classic stock look. My question is I switched to an open element Edelbrock air filter and removed the old PCV grommet and the crankcase grommet on the other side which all attached to the snorkel. I've replaced it with a standard PCV grommet and a K&N breather in the opposite valve cover.

Anyone aware of any 'issues' with this type of change? It was done more for aesthetic rather than any performance but I want to make sure that this setup is suitable for the car. I've included a pic of what it looks like now....pardon the appearance, it's a work in progress in the beginning stages and I'm a novice hobby mechanic at best but I'm learning piece by piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1126.jpg (75.8 KB, 81 views)
Old May 20th, 2013, 06:07 PM

There is no problem with that. Most people not running a stock style aircleaner are using the same setup.
Old May 20th, 2013, 06:24 PM

The only problem you caused was that you opened up a HUGE can of worms - that shiny new lid emphasizes what else needs some spit shine and paint!
Just take a look at my underhood resto thread and see how easy that is to remedy though...
Old May 20th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Yup, MAW just start cleaning and painting under there. No issues with your setup as far as function.
Old May 20th, 2013, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
The only problem you caused was that you opened up a HUGE can of worms - that shiny new lid emphasizes what else needs some spit shine and paint!
Just take a look at my underhood resto thread and see how easy that is to remedy though...
Hey Rob,

Yeah man, tell me about it. This is my first project car and I've dreamed of having one since I was a teenager. It felt great to put the new chrome breather and valve covers on, add that shiny fuel line and rebuild the carb....but.....now it's time to rebuild my heads and I hate my manifold so a new Edelbrock is on it's way. I don't have the tools or money to pull the entire engine so I'll check out your threads for the resto. Any tips and pointers to make it look cleaner?
Old May 20th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I have always been a big fan of the filter top.

Old May 20th, 2013, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I have always been a big fan of the filter top.

Good Lord...love the stance of the manifold!
Old May 20th, 2013, 06:51 PM

Just keep an eye out for any oil blow by through the breather. It's not a problem on newer or more recently rebuilt engines, but as they age this becomes an issue. Mine has over 200,000 miles on it, and I needed to put a brushed aluminum pcv valve with a tube to the carb, still a nice clean setup though
Old May 20th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

This is with out a drop base for the filter but it does not fit under the hood with this intake. I used to use it with the performer intake to give it a little bit of taller appearance lol.
Old May 20th, 2013, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by tgilligan
I don't have the tools or money to pull the entire engine so I'll check out your threads for the resto. Any tips and pointers to make it look cleaner?
Just look through that thread. I did not have the space or reason to pull the engine (or even big chunks of it)...
Biggest tips are to make sure you do not loose anything, take lots of pictures, have your service manual handy, organize well, sandblast as much as you can at once (cheaper), use quality paints and always prep surfaces well. Oh - ave lots of time and patience, and beer for when the day is done.
Old May 20th, 2013, 07:35 PM

I always liked this look, I just need to get the foam to seal against the hood
Attached Images
IMG_00000408.jpg (107.4 KB, 80 views)
IMG_00000409.jpg (105.5 KB, 62 views)
IMG_00000410.jpg (103.1 KB, 62 views)
Old May 21st, 2013, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Al Sanchez
I always liked this look, I just need to get the foam to seal against the hood
+1. I have the same setup on my 85 442 but I have a solid lid instead of the filter type you have. I've heard stories from racers who have done comparrisons between the solid lid and the filter type lids and some have said the filter lids were worse because of ( most likely ) turbulant air going into the carb. I prefer the look of the normal lid too.
Old May 21st, 2013, 02:08 AM

All those MAW's.... Someone needs to get an anti-MAW helmet! Any guesses as to how long befor the front end is rebuilt and the engine compartment detailed.... and oh the cracked insulation on the wiring harnesses! Please! Just make it stop!
Old May 21st, 2013, 05:58 AM

MAW's can't and never will stop!
Just keep growing!!
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:24 AM

Any tips and pointers to make it look cleaner?
Lots of cleaning solution (ie. Simple Green) and lots of zip ties. I've found you can improve the appearance of your engine by simply keeping things clean and make sure all the wires are bundled together neatly.

Also, if you remove the wheel wells you can sand them and clean them thoroughly when they are out of the car. That will also give you the chance to remove the AC components on the passenger side. What good does a condensor do if you don't even have the AC compressor? You can always put the AC back in later.