Olds 358 Build

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2021, 08:01 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Olds 358 Build

I picked up the pistons and rods from Precise Engine. They claimed 8, 10 thousands of clearance, pin to rod. I will assemble them tonight and take pics of them and the $1 million Dollar 330 internally balanced crank. It will be a bit before I can measure everything on the block, 4 hours from my garage for a few weeks.
Old December 6th, 2021, 06:00 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Took the 330 internally balanced crank out of the box. The rods fit looks good.

Old December 6th, 2021, 09:41 PM

Thats deflation right there. FIrst it was 424, then it was 363, now its 358..
Was it even supposed to be 374 at one point?

Last edited by Inline; December 6th, 2021 at 10:38 PM.
Old December 7th, 2021, 04:09 AM

The rear counterweight looks like swiss cheese with all of the holes drilled in it Why would they stick three pieces of Heavy Metal in it rather than filling those holes first ?? Makes absolutely no sense. Looks terrible in my opinion.
Old December 7th, 2021, 05:48 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by Inline
Thats deflation right there. FIrst it was 424, then it was 363, now its 358..
Was it even supposed to be 374 at one point?
Yes, shrunk like your *****. I only need 400 hp and 400+ tq and it will still get 20 mpg. It will make more power than your turd and be in and running in less than 3 years, unlike your car, go away.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; December 7th, 2021 at 05:58 AM.
Old December 7th, 2021, 05:52 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by BillK
The rear counterweight looks like swiss cheese with all of the holes drilled in it Why would they stick three pieces of Heavy Metal in it rather than filling those holes first ?? Makes absolutely no sense. Looks terrible in my opinion.
I assume they had their reason, just using this crank because I had it and it is a 330 steel crank. I am not using a lightweight crank in motor that will put out around 400 hp.
Old December 7th, 2021, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
I assume they had their reason, just using this crank because I had it and it is a 330 steel crank. I am not using a lightweight crank in motor that will put out around 400 hp.
Were the other holes already in the crank from a previous balance job ? That's the only thing I can think of. I have gotten them in like that before and I hate seeing it. I agree with you that the steel crank is nice. I just would have balanced it differently. The way it is makes no sense at all to me.
Old December 7th, 2021, 06:29 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Here are the specs for this build.
New Edelbrock heads, as soon as they are available with roller cam springs, their guide plates, 3/8" push rods and ARP head bolts with MLS gaskets. Champion Truck Plugs, same reach as the Champion 12YC.
1976 Olds 350 block bored and honed to 4.100", decked .016", new cam bearings, align honed mains with ARP studs. 330 forged steel crank internally balanced ground .030/.030. Supposed to be .0022 to .0025" and .0025" to .0028 mains. Scat 8022 balancer, if it ever comes in and a factory 330 flex plate. I will be work measuring everything with micrometer and dial bore gauge. All machine work done and paid.
Limited run Harland Sharp 1.65 to 1 Rocker arms designed specifically for the new Edelbrock heads by Mark Remmel.
Cloyes 9 way billet timing chain with premium chain and cam button.
Comp Cam custom hydraulic roller 218/218 .541/.541 with 1.65 rockers on a 112 LSA.
Mahle 4032 forged and coated 10cc dish pistons with 1mm/1mm/2mm ring pack.
Molnar H beam direct replacement SBO rod.
Canton oil pan, Melling oil pump and pick up.
Performer RPM intake and custom Qjet rebuilt by me, see Qjet thread. Homemade dual snorkel air cleaner, very close to the mid 70's 455 dual snorkel with 4" stainless steel ducts into the fenders with dryer hose.
AEM wideband to tune it.
Extreme Supreme's billet brackets and GM serpentine belt setup with Flowkooler billet impeller reverse rotation pump.
Carter fuel pump
GM HEI with Accel Brute Thunder coil, cap, rotor, Ignitior 3 module, adjustable vacuum advance and a psychical mechanical advance limiter. All in by 3000 rpm.
Accel 25 ohm per foot 8.8mm spark plug wires
2 core 1 1/8" tube aluminum Autocity A body replacement radiator.
Plymouth Breeze dual electric fans
Davies Craig adjustable 80 amp fan controller.
New Sanderson shorty headers, into 2.5" exhaust with high flows cats and Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers.
PATC 2350 flash stall, a TH2004R with a CK pump, shift kit, Servo and deep pan with 4L60E bottom feed filter. I also modified and staked the Governor for 5000+ full throttle shifts.
It currently has a 2.78 open 8.5" Type O with bolt in axles. It will get a 3.42 posi hopefully next Winter, installed by me. New Supercars Unlimited engine mounts.
It is going in my 1970 Cutlass S 2 door. I should see 20 mpg highway and just be a great cruiser that may see the track every now and then.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; December 8th, 2021 at 09:18 AM.
Old December 7th, 2021, 06:38 AM

Yes, shrunk like your *****. I only need 400 hp and 400+ tq and it will still get 20 mpg. It will make more power than your turd and be in and running in less than 3 years, unlike your car, go away.
You started your 424 at 2012 ,

424 ci stroker will finally get done, machine work opinions

And ever since havent gotten anything else build than either blowing transmission or engines, and lot of talking.

Ill step back to wait you blew this one up too. Dont forget to put Optimum Black to every place and locktite to rocker nuts
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by BillK
Were the other holes already in the crank from a previous balance job ? That's the only thing I can think of. I have gotten them in like that before and I hate seeing it. I agree with you that the steel crank is nice. I just would have balanced it differently. The way it is makes no sense at all to me.
Yes, they were there. I agree but as long as their balance sheet is correct, it will be covered by a Canton oil pan and be driven many, trouble free miles.
72 Olds CS

Youve put a lot of thought and planning into this. The pistons and rods looks awesome. Subscribed for the ride!!
Old December 7th, 2021, 06:48 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by Inline
You started your 424 at 2012 ,

424 ci stroker will finally get done, machine work opinions

And ever since havent gotten anything else build than either blowing transmission or engines, and lot of talking.

Ill step back to wait you blew this one up too. Dont forget to put Optimum Black to every place and locktite to rocker nuts
Just sell your current car, you won't drive it anyways. Remember how you complained about wanting to swap valve covers because your catch can was filling up, spinning your car at 3000+ rpm down the road? No **** Sherlock. Go take another 3 years and just pull the motor after a few months on the road and give it away. When am I going see a Dyno run or any time slip from your car? Never, prove me wrong. Go enjoy your Kia, seems to be the only car that stays together at your house. I will be driving a REAL GT car, my fully loaded 2017 Dodge Challenger GT AWD all Winter long. FYI, my motor has better parts top to bottom vs your POS. Enjoy.
Old December 7th, 2021, 06:58 AM

Just sell your current car, you won't drive it anyways. Remember how you complained about wanting to swap valve covers because your catch can was filling up, spinning your car at 3000+ rpm down the road? No **** Sherlock. Go take another 3 years and just pull the motor after a few months on the road and give it away. When am I going see a Dyno run or any time slip from your car? Never, prove me wrong. Go enjoy your Kia, seems to be the only car that stays together at your house. I will be driving a REAL GT car, my fully loaded 2017 Dodge Challenger GT AWD all Winter long. FYI, my motor has better parts top to bottom vs your POS. Enjoy.
Ah, salty

Catch-can filling was as easy fix as fabbing different kind of splash guard to valve cover., and adjusting the pcv-valve. Cant say same about your fix of backing locking nuts, loctite didnt solve it did it?

No dynonumbers, less quarter- or eight-mile times. It never was build for maximum power or strip. Rather for enjoyment.

Its cool and nice you have some AWD at your yard, atleast its not as rusty as the pile your putting this motor on. KIA is a good car to get to work and back, its next to free to buy and own, and if it breaks just abandon it and go get new without zero regrets for pocket money, i have no self-esteem problems to drive cheap car. You have?
Old December 7th, 2021, 07:14 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

No, I drive a car that tows my boat and I just enjoy it. Sorry you can't afford one for daily driver. My kids are Adults, I don't need a family 4 door. Yeah, my 70S has rust, still get notes on the windshield asking if I will sell it. You couldn't sell your 76 for the money you wanted. I bought a pretty nice one for $50, Fifteen years back. Body is next on my 70S after the drivetrain. Every panel is available for these cars. Please post a time slip going down the track with one of your cars or a dyno run or just go away. Once again go finish your car, you are mad because I called you an *******, you sure are proving me wrong🙄.
Old December 7th, 2021, 07:46 AM

Im not mad about anything to you
I enjoy this show, have popcorns always at hand when you write some tell-tale once again about subjects you know jack-**** while pretending it was your comment

Im honestly happy for you, if for once in a 9 years ( since starting your 424) your words turn to action

But be my quest, ill move to popcorn bowl.

Last edited by Inline; December 7th, 2021 at 07:52 AM.
Old December 7th, 2021, 07:57 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I had multiple, running, driving Olds V8's powered cars the whole time, you sure didn't. You have said ridiculous things, we just roll our eyes. Keep proving how you aren't an *******, good job. It is what you do best. Happy for me🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; December 7th, 2021 at 08:02 AM.
Old December 12th, 2021, 08:40 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I will try to get the rings filed in the next few weeks. When I get a chance, I will grab my 2 to 3" mic and bore gauge to double check the machine work. Like I said, I spent 6 grand over the last year, bills for machine work were half that, marked paid bills to prove it. I am going to give Mark a $2000 US deposit if he asks on the new Edelbrock heads for this 358. I want the ability to run on 87 octane if necessary, pass much later emissions, get good mileage, 20+ highway and match the current Dodge 5.7 Hemi in the new Challenger in HP and TQ. Anyone who doesn't think gas prices with this huge EV push aren't going to be taxed ridiculously high, is well, Out of Line. I think the first trip this Summer will be to Little Chicago. You know, the real one, about 2 hours from my house and the current home of a Rock Legend. Not the make believe one in Europe😉.
Old December 14th, 2021, 10:50 AM

Good luck with your build. You're certainly putting a lot of thought and effort into it. Should turn out well.
I have no idea why some of the people on this forum feel it necessary to step into some of these engine threads and start $hitting all over everything. There is no point to it other than just being general douche-bags. For God's sake, just enjoy what guys are doing with their cars.
Old December 14th, 2021, 11:19 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Thanks I appreciate that, just his MO. He even thinks he knows more than guys like Mark Remmel, which is hilarious. Yeah, many years of planning and collecting parts and dealing with Cutlassefi, Mark Remmel. A real class act that made this build possible, along with a lot of dollars. I won't really be tackling it for a month but excited to be on the home stretch.
Old December 14th, 2021, 09:28 PM

Just to set facts straight with this bull-**** queen. Theres no need to lie or colour things with crayons.

I have ever said i know more than Cutlassefi, nor i have anything against him. Ive said numerous time its not the ONLY WAY to do things, and especially to Olds 307 and 403. And thats what irritates him, if someone doesnt agree with him. It must be true since he read it/ heard it somewhere.

His problem is, that he reads too much, and when he spots his next demigod, he cant helpself but just lick his *** ( whoever it is at the time) on every place, and every topic. And also spread on every topic possible some bullshit his read somewhere, theres numerous occasions. Its not too long ago when he was spewing that 10:1 with iron heads aint doable on pump gas, and thats from the lightweight corner of his stuff.
On one occasion i was comparing old vs new Carter/FM/Edelbrock casting, and lo and behold, next week he was telling on another topic as fact that new castings sucks and old ones were good. Just to give you an idea.

Last edited by Inline; December 14th, 2021 at 09:34 PM.
Old December 15th, 2021, 05:40 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Look who I caught, somebody has to feed.

Why don't you take your Kia Pride for a drive. Of course, don't forget its middle name,"No".
I will take my Winter Daily Driver, I use the Cutlass as my Summer daily driver. Your daily obviously enrages you, the littlest things seem to upset you.

FYI, you called Mark a glorified parts assembler, ridiculed him, basically called him an Olds part Drug Dealer, then tried to play Mr Nice on his Edelbrock head thread. Say whatever you want. So I said 10 to 1 was pushing it on pump gas, sorry I didn't mention 91 is as good as it gets here, 93+ being available obviously drives it higher, but why? Why are you dropping the compression on your masterpiece? The Carter/Edelbrock AFB/AVS carbs have factory TSB since the 60's. There were many people on this site who had issues did you help them? I showed everyone where to modify the late 70's Qjet, best castings but super lean in the idle calibration from factory. I am an Olds enthusiast only, have been working on them as a teenager in the 90's and sat in one as a kid, a 75 Cutlass, nicknamed "The Beast". You get so twisted, angry and so holier than thou so quickly. Keep spewing Venom, I will just get ready for your next angry rant, ON MY THREAD. Have a beautiful time.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; December 15th, 2021 at 05:43 AM.
Old December 15th, 2021, 08:57 AM

There are two kinds of people. Those who tout their money, whos main priority is that others see how much money ( or debt) they have. Then there are other people.

Good thing is, since there is message history on each of us, anyone can check whatever somebody has written, and on what context, so theres no need to trust anyones word, mine neither.

Ill move back to popcorns.
Old December 15th, 2021, 09:22 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

More assumptions based on nothing, you assume and judge, your usual MO. Taking about real people which counts more than Oldsmobiles but you can't see it. Keep spewing Venom, at being miserable, you are #1. I will help others to the best of my ability on this site, not an expert, you keep looking down on me, your drugs must be the best. Great job as a Human Being👍Take your Kia for a drive, you will feel better with all the fresh air leaking in the door and window seals. You seriously judge me and won't even post pics of the car you drive 5 days a week? You are stuck on seriously stupid stuff, find a new hobby, maybe take up fishing? Being a Troll is seriously getting old. I guess I am knocking your hobby, my bad🙄.
Old December 15th, 2021, 11:06 AM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

Who really cares how many times you change your ideas on your build, I enjoy reading what direction this is going.
Old December 15th, 2021, 11:51 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Thanks Dave, another great guy FYI. He is lying about Mark again, just admit it. You said **** about him, we all know what you said. I consider Mark a friend and mentor. Hell, I even get a long with Vortecpro on this site these days, this guy is just so angry at the World. He is angry, I told him to stop being an *******, he is proving me wrong, again🤣, again🤣, and again🤣 ON MY THREADS. We get it, having young Kids is stressful, been there, it requires a lot and we have to make sacrifices like driving 4 door Grandpa cars and Minivans. I owned a 81 Delta 88 4 door and a Dodge Caravan. You seem jealous I can own a GT car panda Muscle Car plus I can modify them as much as I want in Canada. My Kids are Adults, we had them really young, glad we did with this World going down the toilet in a hurry. Thanks Dave, more to come.