Olds 350 Rocket oil pressure issue

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2018, 05:19 PM

Olds 350 Rocket oil pressure issue

I had my engine rebuilt and when I put it in and started it only shows 20 PSI it doesn’t go up or down And theres a high volume pump put in and its brand new and running 10 40 oil non synthetic and i have a mechanical oil gauge.
Old December 1st, 2018, 05:24 PM
same but different

Before you do anything drastic, confirm the low pressure with another gauge.
Old December 1st, 2018, 05:33 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Ebonycape
I had my engine rebuilt and when I put it in and started it only shows 20 PSI it doesn’t go up or down And theres a high volume pump put in and its brand new and running 10 40 oil non synthetic and i have a mechanical oil gauge.
Page 6B-3, Fig. 6B-101A--Checking Oil Pressure - Typical V8 Engine of the 1971 CSM demonstrates oil pressure should be:
AT SLOW IDLE - 7 PSI MIN.
1500 - 3000 RPM - 35 PSI MIN.
I've always used the general rule of 10psi/1000rpm - it's general but provides a good ball park jump-off.

It would be better if you provided a little more data:
PSI @ IDLE (note your idle RPM)
PSI @ 1000 RPM
PSI @ 2000 RPM
PSI @ 3000 RPM

IMO, if you're getting 20psi at normal idle, you might have a malfunctioning oil pressure sending unit, malfunctioning oil pressure gauge &/or a possible issue between the oil pressure sending unit and the oil pressure gauge.
Old December 1st, 2018, 06:08 PM

Tryed another gage and does the same and it dosent matter were the rpms are when i start it i says 20 and if i rev to 2k it stays at 20 even if i go to 4k it says 20
Old December 1st, 2018, 06:16 PM
Running On Empty

Did you have a functioning oil pressure gauge prior to the engine rebuild?
Was this a new oil pressure gauge installed by yourself or someone else after the rebuild?
Old December 1st, 2018, 06:33 PM

Yes intsaled by me not someone else and it worked befor and its a stewert warner gage
Old December 1st, 2018, 06:42 PM
Running On Empty

The only mechanical oil pressure gauges I've used in the past 40 years have been hand-held when reading oil pressure.

None-the-less, I suspect the orifice is clogged with debris - it does not take much debris. In consideration you just had your engine rebuilt, the gauge was working before the rebuild I suspect debris has managed to come into contact & lodge within the gauge - somewhere. I don't know (specifically) the type gauge you have, but here's a highly scientific method.

Literally flood it with carburetor cleaner then blast it with compressed air.
Old December 1st, 2018, 06:54 PM
Running On Empty

Sorry, just thought of something. You said you tried another gauge and the other gauge did the same thing, right?
I don't know where you have your mechanical oil pressure gauge installed on your engine system, the type I use I plug directly into the engine oil sending unit orifice/hole. In any case, you might have debris at the point where the line plugs into the engine (or wherever you have your line plugged into the system), or anywhere between where the line plugs in and the orifice where the line plugs into your gauge.
Old December 1st, 2018, 06:59 PM

Thanks will try that
Old December 1st, 2018, 07:14 PM

And odd note when i was primeing the oil pump for first start it was really hard to turn then it broke loose and turned normaly is that normal
Old December 1st, 2018, 07:37 PM

The oil pump getting easier to turn does not sound normal. Vintage Chief's suggestion of putting a mechanical gauge at the sending unit port is the way to go.

If the pressure is low, look at the oil pump and for a galley plug left out. Ask the builder what the main bearing and rod bearing clearances are.

Good luck, I hope this works out to be minor. Don't run it anymore than necessary, only to diagnose the problem.
Old December 1st, 2018, 08:19 PM
Running On Empty

Grab a standard oil pressure gauge from the auto parts store, remove the OEM oil pressure sending unit from the engine, plug in the oil pressure gauge & observe your readings at various RPMs. If you still have no variation in oil pressures with concomitant changes in RPM you know it’s not gauge related and can move forward with further diagnostic measures.
Old December 1st, 2018, 10:13 PM

check the drive rod from the distributor,might be rounded off a bit
Old December 2nd, 2018, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ebonycape
And odd note when i was priming the oil pump for first start it was really hard to turn, then it broke loose and turned normally, is that normal
No. you most likely have a pump issue along with a possible weak/stuck spring etc.
Old December 2nd, 2018, 05:12 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Strange that it's sitting at 20 psi and not moving. Priming the motor, it should get harder to turn. What pick up and pan? It could be an issue with the pump, something could be blocking the pick up screen partially or the pick up could be too close to the pan bottom. Just strange to sit at 20. Could any of the galley plugs have been left out?
Old December 2nd, 2018, 06:52 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
..you most likely have a pump issue...
The diagnosis that fits the facts as you presented them is what Mark said. Probably the pump relief pressure is set at 20 psi and that is why the pressure does not change with pump speed.
Old December 2nd, 2018, 07:42 PM

Just a weird scenario to relate, I once saw an engine start up after a refresh and the oil pressure was low. But the oil filter was bulged. All of the assembly lube from the engine plugged the oil filter. After the filter was changed everything worked normally. Have you changed the oil and filter after startup?