General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Oil Pressure?

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2011, 08:18 PM

Question Oil Pressure?

I just recently put in new gauges for my 69 Cutlass, I was wondering what is a good Oil PSI? Currently When Idling it is about 20-25 and when in drive Depending on how fast I go it ranges from 40-60. What is the norm?
455CI Block.
Thanks Alex
Old August 5th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Without actually knowing more about your engine, it sounds like it's running just fine. When you start it cold it will probably be up around 60 psi, warm idle will be anywhere from high 20's to mid thirties, driving warm should be around 40 or so based on my experience. The secret is to make sure you have the right oil level, and change it as needed by mileage or contamination issues such as dusty driving.

Don't forget also, that the new gages might not be giving you a truly accurate reading. The senders need to be the right one for the car/engine. I'm sure you thought about that though. Just monitor for really LOW oil pressure.
Old August 6th, 2011, 03:59 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You know, the search button can be your friend...

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ure-range.html

- Eric
Old August 6th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Administrator

If its a mechanical gauge, I would call that perfect oil pressure!
Old August 6th, 2011, 12:50 PM

My guage (rallyy pack) doesn't have numbers. Just H and L with 5 dashes between. How do I know what PSI the dashes represent?

And while we're at it can anyone tell me what the Temp gauge lines correspond to?
Old August 6th, 2011, 06:47 PM

Thanksss

Thanks everyone, I had the numbers flip flopped but you knew what I was talking about. Im looking for any constructive critisism for the cutlass. Check it out at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBvUTPfD7ug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L09P_HiExbc

A walk around and a drive by for you.
-Alex
Old August 6th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Gorgeous car! Only thing I'd do is lose all those decals on the drivers 1/4 window. Sounds like it's healthy on the drive by! BTW I think you need to get to around over 100mph to get the benefit of the rear deck wing
Old October 18th, 2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Gorgeous car! Only thing I'd do is lose all those decals on the drivers 1/4 window. Sounds like it's healthy on the drive by! BTW I think you need to get to around over 100mph to get the benefit of the rear deck wing
Sorry for the late late late response it been a while since ive checked the boards. The cutlass isnt a "clone" as much as it is more of a tribute to the Hurst Olds(Aztec Gold and Cameo White) as well as the the 442 package I put on it. I have all the original accessories to bring it back to a Stock S but I think it looks so much more "Mean" with the 442 Hood and Spoiler.
On another note im not as happy as I could be with the exhaust but Ill be putting a 2.50 in kit in next spring. It will really get rid of the restrictions I currently have.
Old October 18th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Just an Olds Guy

The 442 spoiler - nothing wrong with that - I like it a lot. The hood though is from a 1970. The 69 HO hood is completely different than what was put on your car. Still, it's a great looking car.
The 69 HO had a color scheme pattern than what is painted on your car, I understand that your intent wasn't to make a HO, just to use the colors

Old October 24th, 2011, 10:13 AM

The 442 spoiler - nothing wrong with that - I like it a lot. The hood though is from a 1970. The 69 HO hood is completely different than what was put on your car. Still, it's a great looking car.
The 69 HO had a color scheme pattern than what is painted on your car, I understand that your intent wasn't to make a HO, just to use the colors

Yeah thats a good catch on the hood. I liked the look of the 70 hood better than the 69 H/O hood even though I still love the 69 H/O I wasnt happy with it. I mean if you get the H/O hood you might as well go all the way and make it the clone. I kept my original hood just in case I want to go back to stock but for now I love the 70 hood and it makes it unique. Im sure theres one out there but I have yet to see a cutlass with aztec gold stripes and a cameo white body that isnt a H/O. Mine is like a quiet tribute, only a few people can catch it but some do. I have more pictures at: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/385541...mobile-cutlass Thanks
Old October 24th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Checked out your pics at cardomain. Nice. Just as info, this is the 3rd 69 I've seen with a 70 hood. Personally, I like it better. I know that won't sit well with pure 69 HO owners. If you still have the original stock HO hood from that car (looks like the ones I posted?) it's worth some good $$$. If you're not going to use it, why not put it up for sale in the Parts for Sale section of this site?
Old October 24th, 2011, 03:06 PM

Checked out your pics at cardomain. Nice. Just as info, this is the 3rd 69 I've seen with a 70 hood. Personally, I like it better. I know that won't sit well with pure 69 HO owners. If you still have the original stock HO hood from that car (looks like the ones I posted?) it's worth some good $$$. If you're not going to use it, why not put it up for sale in the Parts for Sale section of this site?
I think he means he still has his original 1969 Cutlass S hood. I'm pretty sure that car was not originally a Hurst Olds.

I agree those stickers in the window look bad.
Old October 24th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by starfire
I think he means he still has his original 1969 Cutlass S hood. I'm pretty sure that car was not originally a Hurst Olds.
I wasn't quite sure. There's a hint in the writing alluding to the 69 HO hood, but you're probably right. Just out of curiosity, do you know if the Cutlass S or the Cutlass Supreme, or f 85 was used as the platform for the 69 HO? I really don't know if they were exclusive to one or all...

IMHO the coolest hood I can remember from 69 was the Poncho Judge. The Buick Skylark had a downsized version of the HO scoops

Old October 24th, 2011, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by 69CutlassAlex
Yeah thats a good catch on the hood. I liked the look of the 70 hood better than the 69 H/O hood even though I still love the 69 H/O I wasnt happy with it. I mean if you get the H/O hood you might as well go all the way and make it the clone. I kept my original hood just in case I want to go back to stock but for now I love the 70 hood and it makes it unique. Im sure theres one out there but I have yet to see a cutlass with aztec gold stripes and a cameo white body that isnt a H/O. Mine is like a quiet tribute, only a few people can catch it but some do. I have more pictures at: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/385541...mobile-cutlass Thanks
Yeah, I still have the Original Cutlass S hood. I love the Cutlass S coupe. Its probably my favorite model as well.