Oil gusher

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2012, 04:21 PM

Oil gusher

Last night i was on my way home from a night out with some friends.. I had the car moving pretty good down the freeway, when i started to smell burnt oil. So i pulled over and popped the hood to see the oil cap had came off and oil had came gushing out and got everywhere...

Im assumeing the caps not the right one cause it dosent seem to lock on. Ill just get a new cap but wondered of any if you have had this happen? haha sure was a mess

or could this be related to my low oil pressure issue some how
just seeing what you guys think

thanks!
Old April 29th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I had this happen a few times at the drag strip. My quick fix was to close the oil cap with a shop rag underneath it to lock it. I have since welded a baffle inside the tube to further prevent it.
Old April 29th, 2012, 05:47 PM

There should not be that much crank case pressure. Are you running a PCV system?
Old April 29th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

From my experience those old caps get worn out and dont close too good. On mine it shook loose from the engine vibration . If he had that much crank case pressure he would also knock off the breathers or pcv valve .
Old April 30th, 2012, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
From my experience those old caps get worn out and dont close too good. On mine it shook loose from the engine vibration . If he had that much crank case pressure he would also knock off the breathers or pcv valve .

yeah i knew it had to be a bad cap cause that thing was way to loose, but neve seemed to fall off.. This was the first "real" trip down the freeway since ive had the car, if that oil didnt get everywhere it would have been a perfect ride home.

thanks for the response