No oil, driver side valvetrain

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2022, 01:36 PM

Engine sound

Does this engine sound healthy to all you gurus out there? Rebuilt an engine for the first time and i don’t know if i’m paranoid or if something is wrong. Feels good and draws good vacuum i would think as both the brakes and steering is superb
Edit: link to video: https://youtube.com/shorts/fhkYXQcen-0?feature=share

Last edited by Kirdid; June 18th, 2022 at 02:58 PM.
Old June 18th, 2022, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Kirdid
Does this engine sound healthy to all you gurus out there? Rebuilt an engine for the first time and i don’t know if i’m paranoid or if something is wrong. Feels good and draws good vacuum i would think as both the brakes and steering is superb
Is there a sound part you forgot to post, because the mind reading thing is not working?
Old June 18th, 2022, 02:46 PM
Running On Empty

I'm assuming you attempted to post a video which contains sound (as opposed to a simple recording of sound alone)? The upload most likely failed. Videos are extraordinarily limited in ability to post. They have to be super small. Your best bet is to post the video to YouTube then share the link of the YouTube video.
Old June 18th, 2022, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I'm assuming you attempted to post a video which contains sound (as opposed to a simple recording of sound alone)? The upload most likely failed. Videos are extraordinarily limited in ability to post. They have to be super small. Your best bet is to post the video to YouTube then share the link of the YouTube video.
ahh i see it won’t upload, thank you for the heads up
Old June 18th, 2022, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Is there a sound part you forgot to post, because the mind reading thing is not working?
Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Here we go! Video link:
Old June 18th, 2022, 03:06 PM
Old School Olds

Sounds like lifters aren't oiling.
Old June 18th, 2022, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Sounds like lifters aren't oiling.
any good reason you can think of on a rebuilt engine? I remember the driver side valves got less oil flow than the passenger side. And one of the lifters had oil coming out of it without much reaching the top of the pushrod. Pushrods were clean and lifter did the same when i put a diffrent one in its place
Old June 18th, 2022, 04:42 PM

No oil, driver side valvetrain

I’m back for wisdom again!
rebuilt 67’ 330, 10.5:1 comp rebuilt by me, first time, followed SB chevy book and forums.

got plenty of oil on the passenger side valvetrain. When i had the intake and covers of while priming i could see oil almost pouring out of the cylinder #3 intake lifter but i saw no oil in the rocker arms. Swapped the lifter with a different one and it acted the same. Blew through rockers and pushrods and still nothing.

being naive and hopefull i poured some oil over it and put the rest together hoping the preassure would resolve the issue. It starts and runs fine but i just noticed a prominent ticking sound (https://youtube.com/shorts/fhkYXQcen-0?feature=share) it has been run a few times and even driven out of the garage and back in. Ran in the cam for 30min and had no problems but i am still worried about the oiling issue. I can always find oil in the bottom of the valvetrain but never much.

also tried pouring oil into each rocker and down each pushrod while running but still ticking as far as i can tell

Oil pool

Old June 18th, 2022, 05:00 PM
Gary

What is your oil pressure?
Old June 18th, 2022, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by VC455
What is your oil pressure?
Around 40-50 psi
Old June 18th, 2022, 05:47 PM

What is the oil pressure? Were the galley plugs removed/reinstalled at the distributor hole and the front of the block behind the timing cover?
Old June 18th, 2022, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
What is the oil pressure? Were the galley plugs removed/reinstalled at the distributor hole and the front of the block behind the timing cover?
40-50 psi oil preassure and i did not touch any of the plugs while rebuilding, a slight oversight
Old June 18th, 2022, 06:25 PM

How do you rebuild an engine without pulling all the oil gallery plugs and hot tanking and cleaning engine? There is probably a blocked or plugged in the oiling system.
Old June 18th, 2022, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by 66SportCoupe
How do you rebuild an engine without pulling all the oil gallery plugs and hot tanking and cleaning engine? There is probably a blocked or plugged in the oiling system.
made sure to blow through every passageway i managed to locate with compressed air
Old June 18th, 2022, 07:12 PM

made sure to blow through every passageway i managed to locate with compressed air
That will not fully clean out a blocked or plugged oil gallery at all.
Old June 18th, 2022, 07:17 PM

That will not fully clean out a blocked or plugged oil gallery at all.
no, not at all, but it would tell me which pathways were restricted for some reason.
Hey man, i get that this is crude work. This isn’t the US and the opportunities are expensive and far apart. I make due with what i have being young and broke. I just want this car to run and i try to be thurough. So honestly at this point just blame the old small block chevy book i’ve got
Old June 18th, 2022, 07:19 PM

Not trying to bust your ***** at all. Pushing crud with compressed air could have made things worse.
Old June 18th, 2022, 07:25 PM

Not trying to bust your ***** at all. Pushing crud with compressed air could have made things worse.
that’s a problem, i don’t think i can pull the engine again.
Old June 18th, 2022, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Are you running the stock valve train?
Old June 18th, 2022, 07:50 PM

Are you running the stock valve train?

Old June 18th, 2022, 09:44 PM
Administrator

I merged your 2 threads.
Old June 19th, 2022, 04:28 AM

I merged your 2 threads.
thank you!
Old June 19th, 2022, 06:16 AM

Update

Moved the car around for a few minutes today. Suddenly i notice the oil gauge is showing no pressure. If i find the time to pull the engine one more time. What do i need to do? Do i have to remove everything? The heads and the rotating assembly or am i able to fix the plugs by pulling it and removing the pan?
Also, where is the aproximate location of the plugs?
Old June 19th, 2022, 06:32 AM

I would strongly suggest getting a book titled "Oldsmobile V-8 Engines 1964–1990: How to Rebuild Paperback – August 15, 2021".

Last edited by oldcutlass; June 19th, 2022 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Edited by admin because link was causing issues with the thread.
Old June 19th, 2022, 08:38 AM

Bought the book! Should i order new galley plugs right away?
Old June 20th, 2022, 07:46 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

The oil galley plugs are threaded thus are reusable. You shall have to remove the "soft" plug on the driver's side aft to reach the threaded plug at the end of that oil galley; that "soft" plug shall have to be replaced which you should be able to find at most auto parts stores. I do not remember the size of that particular plug; you shall have to measure the hole accurately as possible to get the proper replacement. What you shall need are some small bore cleaning brushes to run thru the oil galleys. No need to spend crazy amounts of money on these brushes, if you have gun cleaning brushes you can use those. I have an assortment of small bottle brushes that I use similar to tho

se from Amazon. To make them work, I gently squeeze the loop to make it oblong so that it will fit within the long front to rear oil galleys on both sides of the engine block. I then use a wire coat hanger or brazing rod which I have straightened out and made a "hook" on one end to drag the brush through the long oil galley. You should find a drawing of the engine oil galleys in your new book, if not we can post a drawing of it for you. We hope nothing has been damaged within your engine!
Old June 20th, 2022, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by 67OAI
The oil galley plugs are threaded thus are reusable. You shall have to remove the "soft" plug on the driver's side aft to reach the threaded plug at the end of that oil galley; that "soft" plug shall have to be replaced which you should be able to find at most auto parts stores. I do not remember the size of that particular plug; you shall have to measure the hole accurately as possible to get the proper replacement. What you shall need are some small bore cleaning brushes to run thru the oil galleys. No need to spend crazy amounts of money on these brushes, if you have gun cleaning brushes you can use those. I have an assortment of small bottle brushes that I use similar to tho

se from Amazon. To make them work, I gently squeeze the loop to make it oblong so that it will fit within the long front to rear oil galleys on both sides of the engine block. I then use a wire coat hanger or brazing rod which I have straightened out and made a "hook" on one end to drag the brush through the long oil galley. You should find a drawing of the engine oil galleys in your new book, if not we can post a drawing of it for you. We hope nothing has been damaged within your engine!
thank you so much! Upon priming the engine without the dist in i am seeing a steady spurt of oil about 10mm in diameter erupting from where i presume the plug should have been. This means i need a new galley plug does it not? It would also explain why i had to rebuild the engine! One of the pistons hit a valve and forged it into the valve seat while leaving a nasty hole in the piston. I guess the valve got stuck without lubrication! Now is there any way of knowing if i need new galley plugs for the front before i have the engine out? And furthermore, are the plugs the same front to back? I can only find galley plugs for the front online.
Old June 21st, 2022, 03:02 AM

The subject of oil galley plus has been posted several times here on CO. Enter oil galley plugs in the search box at the top right of the page for detailed info.
Old June 21st, 2022, 04:52 AM
Gary

...is there any way of knowing if i need new galley plugs for the front before i have the engine out?
Leaving out the rear galley plug that squirts oil on the distributor gear is a fairly common mistake made by rebuilders who are not familiar with our engines. I've not heard of anyone leaving out the front plugs (they are easily visible). However, people do forget that one of the front plugs has an oiling hole in it for the timing chain.
Old June 21st, 2022, 06:09 AM

Leaving out the rear galley plug that squirts oil on the distributor gear is a fairly common mistake made by rebuilders who are not familiar with our engines. I've not heard of anyone leaving out the front plugs (they are easily visible). However, people do forget that one of the front plugs has an oiling hole in it for the timing chain.
Perfect, thank you
Old June 21st, 2022, 07:46 AM

Which timing chain set did you use ? Any chance you made the same mistake as in this thread ?
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...diesel-165155/
Old June 21st, 2022, 07:48 AM

thank you so much! Upon priming the engine without the dist in i am seeing a steady spurt of oil about 10mm in diameter erupting from where i presume the plug should have been. This means i need a new galley plug does it not?
Not necessarily. More oil than what you would expect comes out of the hole in the plug to oil the distributor gear. I have a video of one I recently did. Let me see if I can get it on you tube so you can look at it. Might be late this afternoon.
Old June 21st, 2022, 08:07 AM

Here is a link to the video showing how much oil comes out of the small hole in the oil galley plug. More than you would think
Old June 21st, 2022, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by BillK
Here is a link to the video showing how much oil comes out of the small hole in the oil galley plug. More than you would think
https://youtube.com/shorts/qMEa_6zKYho?feature=share
Thank you for the video!
Now as good as it is to see how similar it is. that makes my problem 10x worse as i now don’t know why the driver side valvetrain won’t get oil.
Old June 21st, 2022, 01:39 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by BillK
Indeed! Nice video to help us visualize how things should operate.

However the OP stated his oil stream was 10 mm. The one in the video is much smaller.
Old June 21st, 2022, 01:52 PM

Indeed! Nice video to help us visualize how things should operate.

However the OP stated his oil stream was 10 mm. The one in the video is much smaller.
I’ll remove the dist again this weekend, and take a video while priming to check again!