Need Help With Carburetor

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2012, 02:46 PM
Olds-Can

Need Help With Carburetor

Hello, I just had my carb cleaned by a person who I thought was a mechanic, and now it doesn't shift right it goes to 4000 rpm then shifts? it was running great before and shifted good it just turned off afew times before warming up. so thats why I had it cleaned does anybody have any ideas I know it has to due with the carb. sorry its a 1987 cutlass with 307 and a holley carb.

Thanks,
Mario

Last edited by marzgtp1; December 1st, 2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old December 1st, 2012, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Check your vacuum line that goes to the modulator at the transmission, it may be swapped with another. That line needs full vacuum.
Old December 1st, 2012, 04:39 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by marzgtp1
...its a 1987 cutlass with 307 and a holley carb.
You didn't tell us what trans is in the car, but if it's the original 200-4R trans, there is no vacuum line. There IS, however, a throttle valve cable. It sounds like whoever reinstalled the carb did not install or properly adjust the TV cable. Minimize driving the car until this is corrected, as an incorrectly adjusted TV cable can eventually burn out the trans.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 06:41 AM
Olds-Can

Sorry it's the 200-4r, how do you adjust the trans?right now oit shifting at 4000 rpm, also how do you now if the trans is burned out? Sorry for so many questions I really need it for work on monday
Old December 2nd, 2012, 11:05 AM

Heres the procedure...
http://tlentz.oldsgmail.com/howto.html#TVcable
Old December 2nd, 2012, 05:28 PM
Olds-Can

Ill give it a shot the cable is tight the shift is at 4000rpms and it feels like a shift kick was in the trans do you think I should go to a trans place? I really dont want to drive the car this way its like stuck in a low gear with high rpms, it goes in all the gears great just doesn't shift right
Old December 2nd, 2012, 07:50 PM

Just make sure to open the throttle ALL the way to pull the TV cable into adjustment. It will take a firm hand to do so and the clicks it makes sounds like something breaking, but not.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 08:31 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

It sounds like the TV cables too tight. For a 200-4R or 700-R4 with TV (throttle valve) cable controlled shift point pressure, adjust as follows...First make sure you are able to obtain wide open throttle (WOT) and the TV cable doesn’t bind. Generally a factory cable can be set tight then you actuate the throttle and push the spring loaded adjuster. This will allow initial TV adjustment. Next let the car idle going down the road...slowly...then give it just enough gas to get it to up shift. As soon as the upshift occurs nail the gas. It should down shift back into 1st. The upshift during this light throttle test should occur at 10-12MPH. Adjust accordingly to achieve this. From here you can adjust the cable tighter to get firmer shifts, one notch at a time. More RPMs=more PSI=harder shifts. At 4000RPM you have to be getting rubber upon upshifts!
If this TV adjustment doesn’t work you have something else going on. Get the trans pressures read by a good trans shop(Diagnosed-troubleshot). You may have some internal leakage/bypassing/or something broken etc… causing the high RPM shifts.
What’s the fluid look like Do you know the service history on this trans?

Last edited by droldsmorland; December 2nd, 2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 08:34 PM

I've read that webpage in the past, it has some useful info. The TV cable section seems to suggest only the 200-4R trans has a cable. However, my 83 delta with a th350 has a tv cable. I also read elsewhere that if you push on the end of the cable then release, it should quickly become taut again if it is adjusted properly. I've checked mine this way and since the trans seems to shift properly, I haven't adjusted it any.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 08:39 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

The Cable on a TH350 is a kick down to passing gear cable not a throttle valve (TV) cable. Two different animals.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 08:42 PM

So if it's not a TV cable, then there's a vacuum modulator? How big would the vac line be? I don't recall there being any large vac lines going to my trans
Old December 3rd, 2012, 06:42 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

A TH350 has both a kick down cable and a vac modulator. There should be a small ~1/4” 3/16” don’t recall the exact size vac line going from (straight) intake manifold vacuum down to the modulator on the right side of the trans. The factory used a pre-bent metal line with a small section of rubber hose on both ends for most applications on TH350s. This trans works on a vacuum signal as well as the kick down cable. The kick down (passing gear) is mechanically actuated by throttle position. In a TH400 this feature is performed electronically with a switch at the gas pedal which actuates a solenoid in the trans. A TH400 also has a vac modulator.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 08:59 AM

A couple of months ago while painting the underside of the car, I did notice the small metal vacuum line to the trans. I meant to go back under and change the two inch section of rubber line right near the trans. It's dried out. I've already changed all the miles of vacuum lines in the engine compartment so i might as well change this little piece of hose too.
So the cable on my throttle is strickly a kick down cable, is this adjustable as to make the trans downshift sooner(with less pressure on gas pedal)? It does downshift, but sometimes i feel as if it's not soon enough and I have to push way down on the gas pedal to get a downshift. Any suggestions on knowing if it's fine or needs adjustment??
Thanks
Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:37 AM
Administrator

If you make the cable too tight on a T350, like way before WOT, it will break. I didn't realize the op had a 200r4 trans.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 02:27 PM

Yeah, I'll leave well enough alone. I learned the hard way when you start touching things that aren't broken, you end up with a new gas tank that won't accept gas properly! ( For those of you familiar with my gas tank dilemma)
Old December 3rd, 2012, 04:30 PM
Olds-Can

Lady72 do I have to pull the cable really hard you say it will sound like i'm breaking it.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 04:35 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

From what i remember it does not have to be pulled very hard, Sometimes if you have the adjuable brackets that fit holley's they have to be adjusted because sometimes they have too much slacl for the t.v. cable to be adjusted properly .

Last edited by coppercutlass; December 3rd, 2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by marzgtp1
Lady72 do I have to pull the cable really hard you say it will sound like i'm breaking it.
The clicking noises sound like snaps when the carb is opened but that is normal. I am able to do it fairly easy - not really hard.
If you are having trouble, post a clear picture of the left side carb linkage and lets see if the mechanic reassembled it all properly.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 07:07 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Rob delta..... are you sure it's a th350 trans? You may have a 200c transmission in that 83.

Look at the bottom of the pan, and if it says METRIC , you have a 200c. if it has a big X it's most likely a th350C

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&t...r:46,s:0,i:226
Old December 3rd, 2012, 07:18 PM

Square pan with the one corner slanted. I changed the trans fluid earlier this year, used a new th350 gasket.