Name the Quadrajet!

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2011, 07:45 AM

Name the Quadrajet!

Merry christmas everybody!

Contemplating swapping my Carter AFB carb to a stock Quadrajet for better fuel economy. It's possible to just block off all the emission crap on a QJ and get it to run right? So can anyone help me identify the correct one for my engine setup?

Its an Oldsmobile (off course!) 350 VIN-R from 77-80. I have an Edelbrock performer intake #2711 on it.

I also want an electric choke, and as far as I've been able to research they make a kit for that - or some of the later ones came with it. The QJ-jungle is vast and confusing...

Thanks.
Tommy
Old January 2nd, 2012, 02:23 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Get a 76-79 Qjet of an Olds 350 rebuilt and your good to go. All Olds had the hot air choke. Remove the gasket, block off the little passage in the housing and put in the electric choke coil.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 03:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Get a 76-79 Qjet of an Olds 350 rebuilt and your good to go. All Olds had the hot air choke. Remove the gasket, block off the little passage in the housing and put in the electric choke coil.
Just to clarify, all Olds Qjets from 1970-up had the hot air choke. Earlier ones used the divorced choke. Also, see this thread for info on wiring an electric choke. When converting, I use the choke coil from a mid-1980s Chevy full size pickup with the Qjet.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ke-wiring.html
Old January 7th, 2012, 04:51 AM

Thanks for the replies.

But still some questions remain:

Since I have an Edelbrock intake on my engine, what is the best Q-jet to use?

In my uneducated mind, I'm thinking that the Q-jet for my year range (77-80) with all the emission crap I do not need, may not be the best option. Would it be wiser to get a Q-jet from an earlier period where it's not "hindered" by emission-tech, and get it to work properly?

My goal for doing this is better fuel economy. It's a smog engine anyway, so performance is so so to begin with. But the sucker is very thirsty (probably several different reasons for this, but I am working on it).
Old January 7th, 2012, 07:06 AM

Most of the Edelbrock manifolds were produced to be able to use either carb.
When you remove the current carb, the secondary side, [back] of the mounting pad should be larger - Q-jet bolts right on!
Old January 7th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

You can cap the ports not used. The later carbs have advantages over the early carbs. They are also calibrated leaner, which will help your fuel economy. If you use the hot air choke, make sure you get all parts in the intake too. You also run the heater hose right by the housing. I convert to electric choke, less finicky. Just remove the gasket, block off the little passage and find a key on 12V source. Replace with an electric choke coil off a chevy and your good.