Where do I begin?

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2012, 08:28 PM

Where do I begin?

Hello I am new to the forum and have a 73 cutlass s with a 72 rocket in it. I am going to pick up the original numbers matching motor next week. As far as rebuilding goes it seems like olds requires different expertise than a common Chevy motor. I remember someone recommending a build sheet from an expert or something like that. Are there any threads that deal with this? Basically what do I need to know for a rebuild and where do I begin.
Old January 6th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Well you begin with where you are and where you want to go.

What is the condition of the engine you want to rebuild now?
What parts can be reused? What parts need to be repaired or replaced?
Specifically, why are you rebuilding? What is wrong with the engine(s) you've got now and how do you want to change it?

Once you have a fix on where you are, you need to consider where you are headed.
What sort of use do you want to put the new motor to?
Daily driving, racing, a little of both?
Is it important to accelerate very quickly? Or to be able to sustain high speeds?
How important is fuel mileage?
How do you want it to run? Do you want a "lumpy" idle or a smooth one? Do you want tons of low-end torque, or would you prefer a powerful screamer?
Is reliability more important to you, or all-out power?
Do you want to add "performance enhancers" like nitrous or supercharging?
Finally, how much do you want to spend? The bottom line is always the bottom line.

Once you can answer these questions, the folks on this board, including some who really are expert engine builders (no, not including me), will be able to help you better.

- Eric
Old January 6th, 2012, 09:27 PM

I haven't seen this motor yet. I knowit was loosing compression and that's why it was swapped out for the 72. They have the original Rochester 4 bbl carb too. That's all I know of the motors condition. I want the motor to be a driver but better than stock. I am a bit unsure if a 350 can make a 3800 pound car peppy or not. At this point it won't really chirp the tires. Reliability is important, I'm no mechanic. I don't want to add any nitrous or superchargers.
Old January 7th, 2012, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Tyler Padgitt
I haven't seen this motor yet. I knowit was loosing compression and that's why it was swapped out for the 72. They have the original Rochester 4 bbl carb too. That's all I know of the motors condition. I want the motor to be a driver but better than stock. I am a bit unsure if a 350 can make a 3800 pound car peppy or not. At this point it won't really chirp the tires. Reliability is important, I'm no mechanic. I don't want to add any nitrous or superchargers.
I love small blocks, but in a heavy car like that, if starting from scratch, you will probably be ahead of the game with a stock-ish 455 over a modified 350. 403s are good compromise, but they have their quirks.
Old January 7th, 2012, 04:12 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Good. It sounds like you've got a good idea of where you want to go.

The first thing I would say, though, is that the words "it was losing compression" do not sound right to my ear regarding a gasoline engine (diesels are another story).
People do not usually notice that an engine is losing compression (which usually means worn cylinders and rings), they notice that it's "burning oil."
So, while it is possible that it was, in general, losing compression, it seems to me that you should expect to find a more specific problem, such as bad compression on one or two cylinders from bad valves, bad cam lobes, or a bad head gasket, none of which would require a full rebuild.

After you get the engine and assess it, the next question you need to ask yourself is just how far do you want to go / how much do you want to spend?
You have the opportunity to go the full machine shop route, bore the cylinders, square the surfaces, replace the pistons, etc., or, if the basic shortblock is in serviceable condition, to do less, such as just a cam.

I think it will all depend on what shape the original engine is really in.

- Eric
Old January 7th, 2012, 02:41 PM

A rebuilt 350 should make a 3800 lbs. car snappy as long as you have a good transmission and good gearing behind it. If you are new to Oldsmobiles the best thing to do is get on EBAY and find the factory service manuals for your car and if you can find the factory assembly manual, that would be good also, I did this when I purchased my 65, there is a mountain of of info in those 3 manuals.