Machined Cylinder Heads - Install

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2014, 04:36 PM

Machined Cylinder Heads - Install

Hey Guys,

Forgive the question but I'll be the first to admit I'm a novice and would rather ask a dumb question rather than assume anything.

I recently had my heads machined and I installed them back on the block. Due to weather in the Northeast lately, I had to wait a week then I was able to finish installing new lifters, pushrods and rocker arms. I went out this weekend to set valve lash on the new roller rockers and noticed a small amount of orange coloration around the seam of the head where the valve covers sit as well as a slight amount on some of the springs. The engine is in the car and as I don't have a garage (car is covered), I've had a large black garbage bag covering the top to keep debris out, wondering if with all the snow and ice, this has trapped too much moisture? Is this a problem or can I simply proceed with bolting on the rest (manifold, valve covers, etc.) or do I need to do something else? Rub them down with WD lithium or WD silicone lubricant?
Old January 19th, 2014, 04:52 PM

Plastic bag held in moisture and any metal without oil on it stated rusting, just wipe down with clean rag with some oil. Just keep valve covers setting on it till your ready to assemble and cover top of block (were intake sits) with clean towels or similar. Keep it oiled up, got to be tough working outside in winter. Normally olds does not have adjustable valve train. Others here with more knowledge will help with more advice, good luck with your repair. Chris
Old January 19th, 2014, 04:54 PM
Administrator

So what your saying is the unpainted parts are starting to rust? You can spray some wd40 on a rag and wipe that stuff off.
Old January 19th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

+1. Everything shiny should be covered with oil, but a tiny film of surface rust on on-bearing surfaces is no problem at all.

I'd recommend using a disposable paint brush to paint oil over everything under the valve covers, then, as ClassicMuscle said, install all covers and cover all holes.
If the cover over the engine is elevated, so that moisture can evaporate, that's better than having it lying right on top.

- Eric
Old January 19th, 2014, 05:45 PM

Awesome thanks all. Much appreciated as always.