looking for air cleaner options/ pictures of setups.

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2016, 12:01 PM

looking for air cleaner options/ pictures of setups.

first off let me give you my set up:

85 monte carlo SS (yes I went there)
350 olds
performer RPM intake
edelbrock carb
2 inch steel cowl

Ok what i'm looking to do is use the older dual snorkel base but not enclose the top/not use the stock lid. just use a standard open element lid. I dont want run a regular open element.

Any other ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG952016043095140011235.jpg (340.9 KB, 31 views)
Old May 2nd, 2016, 12:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 88 Cutty Classic
first off let me give you my set up:

85 monte carlo SS (yes I went there)
350 olds
performer RPM intake
edelbrock carb
2 inch steel cowl

Ok what i'm looking to do is use the older dual snorkel base but not enclose the top/not use the stock lid. just use a standard open element lid. I dont want run a regular open element.

Any other ideas?
Not sure I understand where you're going. Using the smaller lid from an open element air cleaner negates the whole point of a dual snorkel base. Unless you have some sort of O.A.I. adapter that goes on top, why use a stock base at all?
Old May 2nd, 2016, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Not sure I understand where you're going. Using the smaller lid from an open element air cleaner negates the whole point of a dual snorkel base. Unless you have some sort of O.A.I. adapter that goes on top, why use a stock base at all?

i like the factory look of the dual snorkel but dont plan on running all the duct work. small lid would just be to catch more air. looking for the compromise between a full open elements and a full CAI induction set up. i didnt wanna have a closed lid and only suck air from the snorkels. see picture for whats in my head
Attached Images
Old May 2nd, 2016, 01:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 88 Cutty Classic
i like the factory look of the dual snorkel but dont plan on running all the duct work. small lid would just be to catch more air. looking for the compromise between a full open elements and a full CAI induction set up. i didnt wanna have a closed lid and only suck air from the snorkels. see picture for whats in my head
I got it, I just don't understand why. The setup in the photo you've shown is typically used with one of these, to mate with a cowl hood:

Kinda looks a little ridiculous without it in my opinion. I'm not a fan of sucking hot underhood air, but if you want a stock air cleaner look, use a full lid and drill a bunch of holes in the underside (outboard of the filter) and rear of the bottom housing.
Old May 2nd, 2016, 01:24 PM

since i will be using a cowl hood with that provision i could make go with a seal like pictured. I just didnt want it to get too big and cover my other work.

whats my motivation and why am i doing it a way that may be different? well I want it to look stock-ish. i really do NOT want to run an open element. i want it to look like someone pulled this out of an olds and stuck in a chevy. BUT i really dont wanna have the clutter and inconvience of a full ram air set up with the duct work.. i want that DUI ignition and expensive wires to show a lil. i'm not out for every 1/10th in the quarter mile i can gain. just something that makes people look at and wonder. yes i realize an open filter would show off my pretty intake and ignition, etc but it would take away from the stock-ish theme. If anything i would call what i was going for with this build/look, a tribute to the W-31. why did i pick a Monte Carlo SS? well 1, i wasnt going to engine swap my original 83 hurst olds and 2, i'm sick of chevy swapped cutlasses. I like my monte a lot, it has sentimental value. I'll like it even more with an Olds engine. i dared to be different... no LS swap. no sbc... no MSD ignition with a box, no chrome valve covers, etc etc...