Irregular miss

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2011, 12:19 PM

Irregular miss

So I just got finished after a rebuild of the carburetor, doing the engine timing. I used a vacuum gauge and set it for maximum vacuum. I set the dwell to within spec according to the the Chilton manual. After this, I've noticed that the engine runs smoother, but has an irregular miss that's reflected on the vacuum gauge - the needle moves when I can feel the miss, and it jitters the whole time.

The gauge's manual suggested something about there possibly being sticky valves, and I have paperwork from the PO showing at some point an engine compression test was done, and the shop suggested either a rebuild or valve job, and he declined it.

I'm sure it probably DOES need a valve job, but are there any cheaper avenues I can check? I plan to do plugs this weekend since with the A/C in the way, it's going to take some time to figure out how I need to set my tools up.

Are there any other things I should know about setting the timing? Is there anything safe I can put in the engine for a sticky valve if that's really what it is?

Thanks for everyone's help and patience so far as I've come back into the old car (hobby/necessity/whatever) for the first time in years You've truly made what could have been a painful experience much more fun.