Intake Manifold fitting

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2011, 11:03 AM

Question Intake Manifold fitting

Need to know what the part name is of the black fitting in the attached picture. The heater hose attaches to it. I tried to remove it from the old manifold but destroyed it.

Any ideas where I can buy one?

Thanks

d1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Intake manifold fitting.jpg (12.0 KB, 100 views)
Old April 3rd, 2011, 11:27 AM

I think it's called a hose barb. NAPA should have one. Maybe Autozone. If it's for the 3/4" hose a good hardware store should have one.

Don
Old April 3rd, 2011, 11:33 AM

Thank you.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 11:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

It's alternately called a heater hose barb or nipple. There are a variety of combinations of thread size and hose size, typically 5/8" and 3/4" for the hose and several different sizes of NPT threads. Dorman Products lists a bazillion of these. Go to www.dormanproducts.com. On the left side of the page are some pull down menus. On the Part Category Search menu, select Cooling. On the Cooling page, select Heater Hose Connectors. You'll get 8 or 9 pages of fittings. The nipples start about 5 pages in from there.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
It's alternately called a heater hose barb or nipple. There are a variety of combinations of thread size and hose size, typically 5/8" and 3/4" for the hose and several different sizes of NPT threads. Dorman Products lists a bazillion of these. Go to www.dormanproducts.com. On the left side of the page are some pull down menus. On the Part Category Search menu, select Cooling. On the Cooling page, select Heater Hose Connectors. You'll get 8 or 9 pages of fittings. The nipples start about 5 pages in from there.

Thanks Joe, another great link where I can find nipples.
Old June 17th, 2013, 07:05 AM

Just found this old thread in search of a question.

This is my factory one I found in my intake, looking straight down on it:

I thought the hole was really small in the bottom, so I took a drill and I drilled it out to about the size of the top opening. Should I not have done that? Should I expect me heater core to fail because of this?
Old June 17th, 2013, 09:36 AM

I thought the hole was really small in the bottom, so I took a drill and I drilled it out to about the size of the top opening. Should I not have done that?
==============
You should indeed NOT have done that.
DO NOT use a generic hose, Barb... or nipple.
I bet a Google search for Old(s) Nipples would be interesting.

Should I expect me heater core to fail because of this?
================
Yes. Noisy flow, too.
There is a reason for that restriction. I learned yrs ago that EVERY feature of every part is designed and specified for a reason. I learned it on the orifice in the choke pulloff. If you don't know why it's like that, then just trust the engineering and use the correct replacement part.

I have some used ones. You can tap the ID of yours and insert a recessed hex drive pipe plug and then drill it to the former size- about 1/4". You can buy a nice new one from the Vendor Who Wishes Not To Be Named.