Edelbrock 2711 Intake not fitting my 1964 330V8

Old September 29th, 2009, 09:21 AM

Edelbrock 2711 Intake not fitting my 1964 330V8

Hello all, I am new to the forum and am in dire need of direction.

I have acquired a 1964 F-85 with the 2bbl 330V8 and auto trans. The car had a small carb fire and toasted everything under the hood. I'm trying to get the car running again and so far have had nothing but problems.

I had a Holley 570 Street Avenger carb already and an Oldsmobile HEI so I decided that the Edelbrock 2711 intake was the way to fly. Well it seems the bolt pattern does not match up. With the gaskets in place they are about 1/8" off. I can get one side bolted up but the other side is off (intake is sitting flush- the bolt holes are off). If I remove the gaskets and place the intake into place metal to metal, I can get about a half thread into each bolt hole on the heads.

Why would this be? I have contacted Summit Racing and they are sending me a replacement 2711 intake, could there be anything different that would cause this problem in my '64? I've heard there were some changes in head design but all the bolt patterns were the supposed to be the same.

Has anyone experienced the same problems?

Much thanks in advance.
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by |-K|=K

I have acquired a 1964 F-85 with the 2bbl 330V8 and auto trans. The car had a small carb fire and toasted everything under the hood. I'm trying to get the car running again and so far have had nothing but problems.

I had a Holley 570 Street Avenger carb already and an Oldsmobile HEI so I decided that the Edelbrock 2711 intake was the way to fly. Well it seems the bolt pattern does not match up. With the gaskets in place they are about 1/8" off. I can get one side bolted up but the other side is off (intake is sitting flush- the bolt holes are off). If I remove the gaskets and place the intake into place metal to metal, I can get about a half thread into each bolt hole on the heads.

Why would this be? I have contacted Summit Racing and they are sending me a replacement 2711 intake, could there be anything different that would cause this problem in my '64? I've heard there were some changes in head design but all the bolt patterns were the supposed to be the same.

Much thanks in advance.
All Olds heads are geometrically identical, so there's something else wrong. Either the heads on your motor have been seriously milled or there's something wrong with the intake. I assume the stock cast iron intake fit?

Where is the intake bottoming - on the front and rear rails or on the head surfaces?
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:52 AM

Yes the factory cast iron intake fit great- using stock stamped steel (I assume Tin maybe) gaskets.

The new intake fits in place without gaskets great- flush everywhere both front/rear block surfaces and both heads. With gaskets in, I can lift and offset the intake just a hair and get one side of bolts in (one head) but then the other side is about 1/8" off offset in the intake holes. I cannot then get the bolts started.

I'm hoping it is just a defective (incorrectly machined) intake. It didn't appear that the heads were milled down that I could tell, but I am certainly no expert.

Last edited by |-K|=K; September 29th, 2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old September 29th, 2009, 04:45 PM
ROCKETeer

sorry for the off topic, but does your screen name mean the absolute value of negative k equals k?
Old September 29th, 2009, 08:16 PM

Edlebrock 2711 and 3711 is a direct bolt on replacement for your stock manifold. The spec sheet calls for a Felpro MS96027 intake gasket [ old turkey tray type/stock ]. These intakes were designed for this gasket. A thicker one would require the intake be milled to fit and align correctly. As you covered with Joe earlier someone in the past could have milled heads. Since you have a new intake on the way check new one out, if same problem with correct gasket the heads have been milled and would require the new intake be milled to match what you have.....If intake is bad that means I have a new one in the box that may not work either...
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by |-K|=K

Much thanks in advance.
First thing I would do is 100% verify (identify) the engine you are trying to bolt the intake to. Did you verify the casting number to be a 330 or are you taking the word of the previous owner?

If someone along the way shoveled in a 455 (or a 425) and other owners were not Olds savvy, I can see it happening.

John
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by OlBluehairCruiser
Edlebrock 2711 and 3711 is a direct bolt on replacement for your stock manifold. The spec sheet calls for a Felpro MS96027 intake gasket [ old turkey tray type/stock ]. These intakes were designed for this gasket. A thicker one would require the intake be milled to fit and align correctly. As you covered with Joe earlier someone in the past could have milled heads. Since you have a new intake on the way check new one out, if same problem with correct gasket the heads have been milled and would require the new intake be milled to match what you have.....If intake is bad that means I have a new one in the box that may not work either...
From previous research and talking with other Olds owners, it is NOT recommended to use the metal turky tray with the aluminum manifolds. Intake may have been designed around the gasket, but the gasket wasn't designed to work with aluminum. They will become corroded and will leak at the coolant ports. It is better to purchase the Mr Gasket two piece and use a bead of RTV at the ends.

John
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Eightupman
From previous research and talking with other Olds owners, it is NOT recommended to use the metal turky tray with the aluminum manifolds. Intake may have been designed around the gasket, but the gasket wasn't designed to work with aluminum. They will become corroded and will leak at the coolant ports. It is better to purchase the Mr Gasket two piece and use a bead of RTV at the ends.

John
But they work fine with factory aluminum W-motor intakes and A4/A5 intakes...
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
But they work fine with factory aluminum W-motor intakes and A4/A5 intakes...
I would not say they work "fine". Like anything else off the assembly line. It doesn't mean its the BEST option for longevity.

Additionally, it could very well be the composition of the aluminum casting. More or less silicone in the alloy could be a factor in the aftermarket intakes with galvanic corrosion.

All I can tell you is nearly EVERY aluminum intake I have removed has had some pretty nasty corrosion were that metal gasket was in contact with the metal of the coolant ports. Ones that I have seen slathered in RTV before install have been spared heavy corrosion.... but there still is some.

John
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Those 77-90 aluminum bumper inserts always fell off, so this is a legitimate concern. Electrolysis and Oldsmobiles are like peanut butter & jelly.
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:47 AM

The turkey tray specified for my 350 doesn't have the correct exhaust crossover holes on both sides, the older 350's heads (1970) are symetrical the turkey tray specified is not. Only one side's crossover ports lines up while the other side leaves very little sealing material on at least one edge of the gasket at one of the cross overs. I ended up using Mr Gaskets which lasted 8 years before leaking but I don't think you can beat a metal gasket with the iron heads and iron manifold, provided they mate perfectly.
Old September 30th, 2009, 05:18 PM

Edlebrock states in the install instructions that comes with a new manifold....GASKETS : Do not use comp. style gaskets for this manifold in street / strip or endurance applications. Due to material deterioration over time, internal leakage of vacuum,oil and coolant may occur....Just trying to help fellow member fix problem and not screw up warranty on expensive part.......
Old September 30th, 2009, 05:45 PM

Aluminum cores in radiators also corrode in this manner over a long period of time #&*$!..........
Old September 30th, 2009, 08:50 PM

HA when I got my 330 the mani was off and the turkey tray was in place. That was the first thing I threw away
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:13 PM

Today I pulled the stock 64' manifold off the 330 engine Im rebuilding to see if I would have a problem also with the Edlebrock intake. I pulled off old gaskets,removed tray on top of lifter gallery,installed 1 pc.Felpro gasket and new intake. The bolts did not line up . After my heart rate returned to normal I pulled back apart to find that on both end rails the dimples on each end of the stock gasket had remained in the block when I pulled them off. Each one was approx. 1/16" long. Scraped off gasket dimples,re-installed and everything bolted up tight with no wiggle room at all This may or may not help with your problem just thought I would add just in case.
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:37 PM
Banned

smack it with a rubber hammer