Intake Info ?

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2020, 10:57 AM

Intake Info ?

Hello all...got another question on a 1980 Delta 88, 350 Olds motor. I‘ve come to figure my radiator issue is due to dirt in my cooling system, so I want to flush the block before I install another radiator and have the same issue. Problem is; I have an intake leak. I got an Edelbrock 1406 from a buddy, so I figured I’d rebuild, de-jet, and put it in. Just got finished rebuilding it, and was giving thought to switching the intake to a 2701. I know with certain Intakes there could be clearance issues and I was trying to see if anyones had any experience with this manifold? Would it even work on that 350? I’m inclined to believe its the 77-80 350 based on the casting numbers and research I’ve done. Any and all help is appreciated, thank you ...
Old March 28th, 2020, 03:06 PM

Edelbrock's web site says that is a Chevy SBO manifold:

https://www.edelbrock.com/performer-...fold-2701.html
Edelbrock Part # 2701 Performer EPS intake manifold is designed for 1986 and earlier 262-400 cubic-inch Chevys.

I don't think you will gain anything with the SBO Performer 350 intake over your factory intake as it's not significantly different than the factory iron intake manifolds.

Last edited by Fun71; March 28th, 2020 at 03:11 PM.
Old March 28th, 2020, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Edelbrock's web site says that is a Chevy SBO manifold:

https://www.edelbrock.com/performer-...fold-2701.html
Edelbrock Part # 2701 Performer EPS intake manifold is designed for 1986 and earlier 262-400 cubic-inch Chevys.

I don't think you will gain anything with the SBO Performer 350 intake over your factory intake as it's not significantly different than the factory iron intake manifolds.

Thank you ! I knew going into it it wasn’t going to give me much and wasnt looking for it, just thought of it as kind of an update. Believe me, I have no problem cleaning up my stock intake, just figured it’d look cleaner and could do it without an egr block off plate. Would you know anything about the clearance side of things ?
Old March 28th, 2020, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by EsoWuhn
Thank you ! I knew going into it it wasn’t going to give me much and wasnt looking for it, just thought of it as kind of an update. Believe me, I have no problem cleaning up my stock intake, just figured it’d look cleaner and could do it without an egr block off plate. Would you know anything about the clearance side of things ?
Eso i'm figuring you are confusing one number on that Edelbrock intake ? As Fun71 stated a 2701 is not for your engine, but a 2711 is and this is the Olds 350 intake that is non EGR. I don't believe you will have clearance issues. Had a 3711 (EGR version but capped off) swapped into a 67 Cutlass 330 years back.

Performance is generally considered a sideways move, but it is a pretty intake and lighter in weight.
Old March 29th, 2020, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by 69CSHC
Eso i'm figuring you are confusing one number on that Edelbrock intake ? As Fun71 stated a 2701 is not for your engine, but a 2711 is and this is the Olds 350 intake that is non EGR. I don't believe you will have clearance issues. Had a 3711 (EGR version but capped off) swapped into a 67 Cutlass 330 years back.

Performance is generally considered a sideways move, but it is a pretty intake and lighter in weight.

ahh, fully understood. I appreciate man, thank you ! I’ll definitely be going back with the stock intake...and correct me if I'm wrong, but there are going to be a couple of ports on that stock intake, along with the egr, that I will have to plug; correct ?
Old March 30th, 2020, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by EsoWuhn
and correct me if I'm wrong, but there are going to be a couple of ports on that stock intake, along with the egr, that I will have to plug; correct ?
I would think only if you are veering away from bone stock. I've never played with a stock intake and aftermarket carb. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

In my case, I went with the Edelbrock intake when converting my 330 from 2bbl to 4bbl. Also went with a Holley 600 cfm. Other than that I don't remember much... Were talking almost 30 years ago.

What are you thinking, hoping for a little more oomph out of that 350 ?
Old March 30th, 2020, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by 69CSHC
I would think only if you are veering away from bone stock. I've never played with a stock intake and aftermarket carb. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

In my case, I went with the Edelbrock intake when converting my 330 from 2bbl to 4bbl. Also went with a Holley 600 cfm. Other than that I don't remember much... Were talking almost 30 years ago.

What are you thinking, hoping for a little more oomph out of that 350 ?

just a little bit. Nothing major, as im planning for it to be a lowrider...but when i wanna go, i wanna be able to GO without feeling bogged down. I’ve done a lot of research and reading, though I’m sure theres tons more, so I’m not doing any cam or detailed engine work aside from replacing seals/gaskets, and some 40 year old components...but I will be upgrading to a 400 trans. I remember reading one of the problems with the 80 was the failure rate of the 250c not being able to accommodate the 350, so I THINK *fingers crossed* that’ll do. Maybe a set of long tube headers also, but one thing at a time. I did just get finished rebuilding the front end suspension, so its just a matter of time and phases