Installing fan shroud in a '70 S......help needed!

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2014, 07:03 PM
The Rocket Astronomer

Originally Posted by joesw31
DGS70CUTLASS: I have looked your pictures, and have read the thread. Your pulleys, and water is not your problem. The problem is that the four blade fan is in wrong position for the fan shroud. You need a 68 to 70 clutch fan blade and clutch. The clutch puts the fan blade in a different location, therefore, eliminating any issues with the fan touching the fan shroud.

I believe 66- 70 19 in 6 blade fans are the same, and only the clutches are different. Be careful some non olds non ac delco clutches will not bolt up to these. 55 plus shipping for that 7 blade and 140 plus shipping for the haydon clutch and thay may not mate -up. I can offer you an OEM 19 in 6 blade mounted up to a used/ operable clutch for 100.00 shipped to your door; and if it does not work out at least u know what you have to re-sale.

Last edited by lunaboy; June 9th, 2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old June 10th, 2014, 04:53 PM

You can get a hayden clutch from your local parts store or from online such as ebay. The original fan blade was 6 blades, however, a 7 blade unit will work as long as it is 19 inches, and is curved. Generally, the 7 blade units came on large cars. Your choice. The hayden clutch is about $50.00
What about this one? It's even the pn that's in the assembly manual

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401372-TX2-C...2dfb31&vxp=mtr
Old June 10th, 2014, 05:39 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by DJS70cutlass
What about this one? It's even the pn that's in the assembly manual
It looks like the right one for your car, but $140 seems a bit steep, especially with a used clutch that may be bad and need replacing for $50.

As noted, darn near any 6- or 7-blade fan should work (there were some bigger ones used on trucks), so they're not hard to find.

You probably want the Hayden 2747, which is listed as "heavy duty" for your application.
I use a 2797, which is almost definitely overkill, but which lets me feel safe if I get stuck in traffic on a 100° day.

There is some discussion of this here (and a few other places as well, though this is the one I bumped into first - search "hayden" for the closest results).

- Eric
Old June 10th, 2014, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
It looks like the right one for your car, but $140 seems a bit steep, especially with a used clutch that may be bad and need replacing for $50.

As noted, darn near any 6- or 7-blade fan should work (there were some bigger ones used on trucks), so they're not hard to find.

You probably want the Hayden 2747, which is listed as "heavy duty" for your application.
I use a 2797, which is almost definitely overkill, but which lets me feel safe if I get stuck in traffic on a 100° day.

There is some discussion of this here (and a few other places as well, though this is the one I bumped into first - search "hayden" for the closest results).

- Eric
Yeah I kinda thought the same thing.....but the fans PN being the exact one specified in the assembly manual means something to me I guess And thanks for that clutch link.....I'll be ordering one of those soon! And switching back to the 180 degree t-stat. Which kinda sucks cause the thermostat gasket isn't leaking right now haha!!!
Old June 10th, 2014, 07:02 PM

Why not try a pusher electric fan, have one on my convert for parades, will know if it's airflow issue.
Old June 10th, 2014, 07:29 PM

The clutch is not an original clutch, and the fan blade is 19 1/2 inches. You need a 19 inch fan blade and Eric got the right part number for the clutch for your car. An original clutch looks like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1968-70-...846dfe&vxp=mtr
So like this one you posted before?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-1970-19...cd6c91&vxp=mtr
Old June 10th, 2014, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by classicmuscle.442
Why not try a pusher electric fan, have one on my convert for parades, will know if it's airflow issue.
I'd thought about going that route, but I guess I don't want to have to flip a switch on and off or have to upgrade my alt and wiring to power it.

Last edited by DJS70cutlass; June 11th, 2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old June 11th, 2014, 10:01 AM

Ok guys I decided to pull the trigger on this.....bought the fan Joe suggested, the tabs to mount the shroud on the bottom, and a 2705 Hayden clutch. In reading a few threads I decided the 2747 clutch was probably a bit overkill for my needs. I'll post back when I have everything ready to install
Old June 11th, 2014, 06:42 PM

Let us know how every thing goes. Take your time, and remember the fan shroud may need shims to be properly installed.
I sure will Joe! And yes I saw that in the assembly manual......will definitely keep that in mind
Old April 8th, 2015, 04:08 AM

Bringing this back cause the car is gonna be coming out of storage soon and this project will be started on soon after!!! One thing I remembered after a winters worth of thinking is with the engine warm so the thermostat is open.........there's virtually no coolant flow through the radiator at idle (about 850 rpm) Considering there'd even be a bit less flow once in gear I think this is a large part of my getting hot when stopped issues. If the rpm is increased even a small amount the flow becomes much more pronounced. I installed the water pump probably 10 years ago and I know it's a cheap offshore reman.....so it surely has the crappy impeller on it. Is the only way to get a reman pump with the good impeller to find an original pump and have it rebuilt myself?
Old April 8th, 2015, 04:18 AM

proper HDC pulleys in place now?

pump output might be affected by the speed it operates at.
Old April 8th, 2015, 04:38 AM

Try finding a reman pump. I've had better luck with pumps that were not from the big box auto stores.
Old April 8th, 2015, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
proper HDC pulleys in place now?

pump output might be affected by the speed it operates at.

No it still has the original pulley setup on it now......same as in the pics I posted on the first page.
Old April 8th, 2015, 03:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Chris,
Just wondering if just the water pump pulley will be enough on that conversion. I know there are different size water pump bell depths that might work if the OP gets the lineup figured out. Just a thought.
Old April 9th, 2015, 06:04 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Looks like it is a short water pump. Measure when swap on your clutch fan. I know Flowkooler has the shorter 5.6" pump in cast iron. Honestly, if you have a 7 blade fan with a good heavy duty clutch and shroud it should lower the temp a good amount. I ran the stupid under drive pulleys, your non A/C pulleys look more under driven but not a huge amount. I also had a bad Mr Gasket high flow thermostat. Once I put on factory A/C pulleys and a EP Stewart modified 160 high flow thermostat, my cooling issues were gone. I have the Flowkooler pump but it wasn't enough to over come the under drive pulleys.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; April 9th, 2015 at 06:15 AM.
Old April 13th, 2015, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Looks like it is a short water pump. Measure when swap on your clutch fan. I know Flowkooler has the shorter 5.6" pump in cast iron. Honestly, if you have a 7 blade fan with a good heavy duty clutch and shroud it should lower the temp a good amount. I ran the stupid under drive pulleys, your non A/C pulleys look more under driven but not a huge amount. I also had a bad Mr Gasket high flow thermostat. Once I put on factory A/C pulleys and a EP Stewart modified 160 high flow thermostat, my cooling issues were gone. I have the Flowkooler pump but it wasn't enough to over come the under drive pulleys.

Yes it seems to measure in at about 5 1/8th from the timing cover, but it's a bit tough without taking anything apart. I'm gonna take the belts and pulleys off tomorrow night to get an absolute read on the pump length. I looked at the FlowKooler site and found this pump.....

http://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/...duct_info.html

Seems to be the one I need once I verify the pump length!

Are you saying the factory non-ac pulleys are underdrive? Am I right in assuming the AC ones are smaller to spin the pump faster?
Old April 13th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

That looks like the right pump. The factory A/C pulleys are somewhat overdriven, your pulleys look about even in size. A good clutch driven 7 blade fan with shroud will make a big difference.
Old April 16th, 2015, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
That looks like the right pump. The factory A/C pulleys are somewhat overdriven, your pulleys look about even in size. A good clutch driven 7 blade fan with shroud will make a big difference.
I haven't gotten around to accurately measuring the pump length yet.........but I did notice that my existing wp pulley is LARGER than the crank pulley. Thus underdriven. In doing a lot of searching of ebay for the pulleys in the pic Allan posted on the previous page, I noticed the AC wp pulley is 2 INCHES smaller than my stock pulley That's gonna make a BIG difference in wp speed! So I'm gonna try that first (just swapping pulleys and belts to get rid of the underdrive)......I ordered the pulleys last night! Should arrive soon!!

Last edited by DJS70cutlass; April 16th, 2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old April 16th, 2015, 09:00 PM

Try putting 350 motor monts under ur car will lify it up to make the shrud and fan clear
Old April 18th, 2015, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyjaws
Try putting 350 motor monts under ur car will lify it up to make the shrud and fan clear

Actually I already thought of that and replaced them.......so there brand new!!