I Think I'm Burning Oil

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2016, 08:01 PM
Gearhead in training

I Think I'm Burning Oil

So while working on many other things ive started the engine cold with the intake off to see why my 85 toronado starts so sluggish, and upon inspection i noticed smoke coming from the driver side vacuum line coming from the valve cover. The passenger side is also moist with what i would guess is oil.

What would you guys say?

Ive read a few forums about bad valve cover gaskets and things of that nature being the culprit
Attached Images
Old October 23rd, 2016, 11:28 PM

Valve cover gaskets: Unless your car is leaking oil from under the valve cover, I wouldn't suspect the VC gaskets being leaky.

The way to check if you're burning oil would be to check the spark plugs - if they're wet with oil, there's definitely a problem.

You say there's smoke coming from the "vacuum line coming from the valve cover", I assume from the part you took a picture of? (That's your Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve, by the way. It's normal that it's covered in oil on the underside, since it can get splashed with oil from the pushrods and rocker arms.)
What kind of smoke? Is it under pressure (coming out of a hole), or is it more of a puff? Since the passenger side is also moist, it's possible that your hoses are old and cracked. I had such a cracked hose once, and it produced a very special sound once it was hot. Not exactly easy to diagnose.

Describe which kind of "sluggish" starting are we talking here? Lots of cranking before it lights up? Does it light up but choke several times? Low RPM and rough running right when it lights up? Describe the problem, please.
Old October 24th, 2016, 06:11 AM

I assume you started with the air cleaner off, not the intake!
How much oil are you adding? Engine smoking?
Answers to Seffs' questions will help.
Old October 24th, 2016, 06:38 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Engine flush may help and a good air intake cleaner sprayed down the carb, Deep Creep, Amsoil Power Foam or Kleenflo Combustion Chamber Cleaner may help as well.
Old October 24th, 2016, 09:01 PM
Gearhead in training

Talking

Seff, the smoke i spoke of was coming from the outlined vacuum line coming from the valve cover in the picture, and it was puffs of smoke in relation to the engine chugging while starting up, lasting about 15 to 20 seconds or until the engine gets itself under control.

As far as the sluggish starting, ive concluded that a bad choke pulloff valve was particularly the issue, but ive manually operated the carb and it makes no difference to the other issue which is this,

It doesnt exactly want to fire in the morning, it cranks and the starter and battery sound healthy as ever but in order to start it i have to hold the gas to the floor or at least close to it, pumping the gas doesn't do a thing when it comes to helping it start, i have to hold it down. Once it does start it is running with extremely low RPMs that slowly increase until normal

I haven't had to add to terribly much oil, its mainly the smoking that worries me.

And my bad, i definitely meant the air cleaner, im still getting versed in the lingo .

Olds 307 and 403, weve got sea foam over here, is that reputable?
Old October 24th, 2016, 11:47 PM

Puffs of smoke in sync with the cranking of the engine indicates to me that you have a cylinder pressure issue - burnt valve (pressure slipping up the valve stem) or worn rings. Can you do a compression test? What does your vacuum gauge show when you crank the engine?

As for the other issue, that does indeed sound like an incorrectly adjusted choke. Is the hot air connected to the choke housing properly? Is the choke spring cover adjusted so that (on a dead cold engine) it JUST holds the choke plate closed?
Old October 25th, 2016, 05:21 AM

Since you haven't had to add much oil you might not have a problem besides a 33 year old engine. If you have blue smoke out of the exhaust when the car is running or under acceleration that can indicate worn rings. A puff of white smoke out of the exhaust at start up would be valve guide seals. Have you done a compression test?
Old October 25th, 2016, 06:20 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Seafoam and it's Deep Creep version are worth a shot. Did you replace and adjust the choke pull off? As said, also check the choke plate tension when cold. Your issue sounds like too much choke plate tension or the pull off is leaking and slow opening. The hot air choke coil is more finicky with the coil setting vs the electric choke.
Old October 26th, 2016, 07:40 PM
Gearhead in training

Ive got a choke pulloff ordered and i plan on getting a compression test kit tomorrow, i will also check the choke plate tension afterwards.

On a different note, i actually have a potential buyer coming to look at it on Friday for $2500. I want to be able to do as much as possible to at least know for sure what the car needs. Since im a newbie to flipping cars is there anything you guys would have to offer as advice?
Old October 27th, 2016, 05:18 AM

I've thought about flipping cars in the past. I've just never worked up the bravery to do it.

FWIW, I've heard you can ask a premium price just by ensuring the car is clean and presentable. Have you buffed the paint and cleaned the engine?

Also, you can generally rent a compression test kit from your local auto parts store.