help finding a mechanic

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2011, 07:38 PM

help finding a mechanic

I am in South Mississippi, and really need to find someone that can help me with some TLC for my '67 Cutlass. I have no confidence in any of the mechanics I have worked with so far around Hattiesburg. Lots of sloppy zip ties, short-cuts, lack of knowledge, etc.

I need a choke stove for the mechanical choke on my quardajet, or someone to convert the carb to an electric choke. Also, the accelerator pedal is coupled to the carb with a stretched spring and a zip tie - holy crap.

I am also considering replacing the a/c controls and refurbishing the a/c system, but I don't trust ANY a/c person to whom I have spoken.

Might be interested in installing a 200-4r, too.

I would get down and dirty and learn myself, as that would be the only way to guarantee the work was done right, but I am in a wheelchair, so crawling under and in an engine compartment is just notpractical.

so please - are there any so. mississippi/alabama/louisiana mechanics that work on antiques?
Old February 10th, 2011, 04:26 PM

I can't help , but I know what you mean .
Sounds like if you want it done right you are going to have to learn and start doing most of it yourself. There are a lot of smart guys on this board that can walk you through a few things but it is time to hit the car shows and race tracks and you will meet someone I hope.
Good Luck , nice to hear that you do not like work that is done by a hack.
Old February 10th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Oldsdruid

Justin- go over on the AACA forums www.aaca.org and ask this question. There are people on there who live in the Deep South and will know of reputable old car mechanics there. You may have to register to post, but there's a good bunch of old car people there, and the local Chapter or Region will be invaluable help searching out a mechanic who speaks old car and takes pride in his work. Hey, we're talking about people who keep brass and prewar cars running.

If you can find out who the line mechanics at the local Oldsmobile store were, they will be able to help. Remember a lot of them who were working the lines then are retired now or close to it, but you'd be amazed what they can remember.