HELP! Can't Get Motor Started...1968 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2010, 08:39 PM

HELP! Can't Get Motor Started...1968 Cutlass

Just did an HEI conversion as well as alternator conversion and cant get motor started. Basically new everything. Battery, alternator, starter, HEI, cap, rotor, plugs and wires. Pulled #1 plug, put finger in hole, and cranked until compression stroke. lined up balancer timing mark right in middle of pointer. Stabbed the distributor with rotor facing right at #1 cylinder. Installed cap and wired up 18436572 firing order. HEI getting power from new 10 gauge wire that was replaced at the fuse block on firewall where "resistor" wire used to be. Cranked and cranked and cranked, and no start. Plenty of fuel, plenty of spark, plenty of compression, but never started. Restabbed the dizzy thinking maybe 180 off, but still nothing. Any suggestions on how to go about getting this thing cranked again. My buddy last cranked it with the points a few months back, I would think it would be easier with the new HEI and components, but nothing. Any help would really really be appreciated.

ADPOSTEL
Old November 30th, 2010, 09:06 PM

Do you have spark at the plugs?
I also had a problem like that. I found that the ground strap in the cap with the coil was missing.
Gene
Old December 1st, 2010, 12:47 AM

check everything

As advised, be sure there is spark at the plugs. However, be careful while checking. Try to avoid getting the full HEI voltage through your body. If you've got a borderline heart it could be your last conversion.
Also, be sure the carburetor is actually delivering fuel into the manifold.
Don't get CW & CCW confused when putting the wires in the distributor cap. This is not a Chevy! The Olds goes CCW.
If it ran a few months ago, the problem should be either no fuel, no spark, or spark at the wrong time.
There are weird things like teeth broken off the cam's timing gear, but they are highly unlikely.
I once had some similar difficulty getting a 1955 Olds going after a distributor change. It turned out to be a "new" condenser which I had installed. New doesn't always mean good.
Old December 1st, 2010, 04:53 AM

WAIT WHAT? The Olds is CCW, so the firing order is the same as Chevy, but the wires on the cap go the opposite direction....CCW? Uh oh, did I read that right. Yes I put the wires on the cap CW, starting with #1 at where the rotor was pointing, then going CW (Like Chevy) 18436572...SO THAT IS WRONG? Oh and BTW, yes, we have spark at the plugs. Took the wire off the plug and held it close with a pair of insulated pliars while cranking, and definitely spark. Man I sure hope it is the CW vs. CCW issue......

Last edited by adpostel; December 1st, 2010 at 04:55 AM.