Headders for a conv

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2007, 10:17 PM

Headders for a conv

This is my question.
I have a 71 cutlass supreme conv. I have heard that you cannot
put headders on this car due to the size of the frame.
But today I saw the same car I have and it had headders.
I was not able to locate the owner to ask how he got them on.
Does antine know if I can buy headders that will fit or anyone has put them
on a conv.
Old April 29th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have a 72 convertible with a 350. I have read dozens of posts about this subject. From what I understand, most headers will fit a convertible. They are going to be a pain in the butt on any Olds. They will require moving the proportioning valve and you will have to grind and probably make a few dings and dents to get them in. I have a set of Sanderson headers I bought on ebay. They just came out with these in the last year or so. They are shorty headers and exit on the rear of the engine where it doesn't hit the crossmember. I have heard mixed reviews about their customer service. They are pretty famous for their street rod headers. They have a good website. I am not recommending them since I have not installed mine yet. I just mention them as a possibility. Good luck.
Old April 29th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by mp71conv
This is my question.
I have a 71 cutlass supreme conv. I have heard that you cannot
put headders on this car due to the size of the frame.
But today I saw the same car I have and it had headders.
I was not able to locate the owner to ask how he got them on.
Does antine know if I can buy headders that will fit or anyone has put them
on a conv.
As you've already seen for yourself, this is an urban myth that won't die. The frames for the convert and hardtop are identical forward of the firewall, so there is absolutely no issue. Just buy the headers of choice and install them. As was mentioned, you WILL have issues. The proportioning valve on the driver's side frame rail needs to be moved. The shift linkage to the steering column may need to be modified. Starter clearance will be tight. This is normal for all Olds header installations.

I've had good luck with Thorley and Hooker headers. I've also heard that Kooks fit very well but have not tried them. Since the whole purpose of headers is to tune the length and diameter of the primary pipes to enhance airflow through the engine, I fail to see the benefit of "shorty" headers. You might as well keep the stock manifolds and avoid the cost. If your car is a street-driven 350, just stick with the small diameter headers (1 3/4" primaries). This will be more than enough flow and will help with fit.

Consider a mini starter as well, though this is not necessary. At a minimum, rebuild the starter while it's out for the header installation since dropping it later almost always requires the header on that side to be loosened. Also, spend the money on copper gaskets.