Trash Talk:71' SX Conv't or 71' 442 Conv't

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2011, 03:31 PM

Trash Talk:71' SX Conv't or 71' 442 Conv't

What's the opinion on better of the two? (Value, braggin' rights, etc...)
Old January 23rd, 2011, 11:48 PM

Like you I also have a '71 SX Convertible, and if you've ever looked at SX455.com you probably know they are the lowest production numbers for any SX. And as much as I like the appeal of the SX, I don't think it yet translates into the same resale value of a 442. So while the SX is a cool car, and to me the ultimate Olds sleeper; I think the edge in value will go to the 442 because more people are aware of them. Mechanically, the cars are the same minus the fiberglass hood and OAI set-up. The upside of that is we didn't spend as much to get into our cars as someone who bought a similar 442 convertible.

Last edited by oldsonharmont; January 23rd, 2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old January 24th, 2011, 01:37 AM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by oldsonharmont
Like you I also have a '71 SX Convertible, and if you've ever looked at SX455.com you probably know they are the lowest production numbers for any SX. And as much as I like the appeal of the SX, I don't think it yet translates into the same resale value of a 442. So while the SX is a cool car, and to me the ultimate Olds sleeper; I think the edge in value will go to the 442 because more people are aware of them. Mechanically, the cars are the same minus the fiberglass hood and OAI set-up. The upside of that is we didn't spend as much to get into our cars as someone who bought a similar 442 convertible.
Absolutely agree. Swap "resale value" with "investment value" when we're talking about comparable classics and it's no contest between an SX and a 442. Good 71 442s are starting to pull really big bucks, even to the point where clones are fetching comparable money to SXs. I've been watching that particular market for a couple of years now which is why I ended up with a '72 442....... couldn't get as nicer '71 for the same money or anything close. The 442 will hit the point where the asking price becomes questionable at which time the SX will attract more atention and see a significant increase in value because its a true BB muscle car.
Look at Mopars. The hemi cars are out of reach of most enthusiasts and so are the 6-packs so now any big block is pulling good dollars and the small block A bodies have also seen good increases, ie 340 Dusters.
I think there's excellent investment potential in an SX. Give it a couple more years.
(This opinion has not taken into account your personal circumstances or financial objectives. It is the opinion of the author only and shoud nt be relied upon when deciding between an SX and a 442 for investment purposes)