Fuel pump failure 1964 Olds 330 engine

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2019, 10:25 PM

Fuel pump failure 1964 Olds 330 engine

A year ago I replaced the fuel pump on my 1964 Oldsmobile Cutlass engine. I was out driving tonight and the motor died and I looked at the transparent plastic fuel filter and there was no fuel in it. I have heard that the modern gas corrodes the rubber diaphramn quickly in the traditional fuel pump. I have also noticed that electric fuel pumps are suitable replacements.
Should I install an electric fuel pump at this point?? It is now very hard to find a replacement traditional fuel pump for the 330 engine. Thank you. JM
Old June 1st, 2019, 05:38 AM

May not be the pump. Be certain there is fuel in the tank, the sock (if there is one, anybody help here???) in the tank isn't clogged and that the rubber hoses at the tank to line connections are good. In short, make sure the pump is getting fuel to it to pump and make pressure. If the pump is bad, I'd stay mechanical vs. electric for originality.

Good luck!!!
Old June 25th, 2019, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jonmueller1
A year ago I replaced the fuel pump on my 1964 Oldsmobile Cutlass engine. I was out driving tonight and the motor died and I looked at the transparent plastic fuel filter and there was no fuel in it. I have heard that the modern gas corrodes the rubber diaphramn quickly in the traditional fuel pump. I have also noticed that electric fuel pumps are suitable replacements.
Should I install an electric fuel pump at this point?? It is now very hard to find a replacement traditional fuel pump for the 330 engine. Thank you. JM
I bought a fuel pump for my 330 at O'Reilleys auto parts, they had it in stock. I don't like electric fuel pumps. You shouldn't have any trouble getting a stock pump. JMO.
Old June 25th, 2019, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jonmueller1
I have heard that the modern gas corrodes the rubber diaphramn quickly in the traditional fuel pump.
This is not your problem unless the fuel pump you're buying was made in 1964. Any aftermarket replacement pump will be made of parts compatible with today's gasoline. I've replaced fuel pumps over the last 10 years on '67, '73, and '78 Oldsmobiles, and none of the replacement pumps have had any problem with current gasoline.
Old June 25th, 2019, 04:16 PM
Old(s) Fart

What Jaunty said. A more likely cause is that you have crud in the tank and it is getting sucked up against the sock on the pickup tube, blocking it. Also, check for cracks in the rubber hoses between the tank and the frame hard line, and between the hard line and the pump. Cracks can cause the pump to suck air, causing this problem.
Old June 26th, 2019, 01:47 PM

For what it is worth I just replaced the fuel pump on my 67 and found the pump at Summit Racing for $24.99