First Time Degreeing Cam

Old January 28th, 2012, 04:22 PM

First Time Degreeing Cam

Need some serious help here.

I bought a degree wheel kit from Summit and am attempting my first degreeing

Getting true TDC was easy enough after I made a piston stop. The heads are off and am now checking the cam. Here's where progress comes to a grinding halt.

First - do I really need a solid lifter for a hydraulic flat tapper cam? I don't have one. I read you can put the indicator needle on the top of the lifter as long as its not the cup.

Second - I can't get the indicator far enough down to reach the lifter without using a bad angle that does not represent the angle of lifter travel. Do I need to get an indicator extension or am I just an idiot?

Third - once I get issues one and two worked out, how do I set my readings for the indicator? Does it matter where the cam is positioned when I set the indicator?

Appreciate the help on this
Old January 28th, 2012, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by rkk69olds View Post
Need some serious help here.

I bought a degree wheel kit from Summit and am attempting my first degreeing

Getting true TDC was easy enough after I made a piston stop. The heads are off and am now checking the cam. Here's where progress comes to a grinding halt.

First - do I really need a solid lifter for a hydraulic flat tapper cam? I don't have one. I read you can put the indicator needle on the top of the lifter as long as its not the cup. Get a flat tip for the indicator to ride on top of the lifter.

Second - I can't get the indicator far enough down to reach the lifter without using a bad angle that does not represent the angle of lifter travel. Do I need to get an indicator extension or am I just an idiot?
on. You just need an extension.

Third - once I get issues one and two worked out, how do I set my readings for the indicator? Does it matter where the cam is positioned when I set the indicator?
Once you rotate the crank around to intake lift on #1 cylinder you'll see everything move.
On your cam you're looking to have the degree wheel read 6 degrees BTDC when the lifter is at .050 lift. That will be a 106 intake cneterline, then you're good to go.

Appreciate the help on this
Hope this helps.