A few wiring, vac connections I am unsure of

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2014, 06:44 PM

A few wiring, vac connections I am unsure of

Welp, I am almost ready to start my car after having to rebuild the top end.
I had a few wiring connections which I was unsure of, as well as a few vacuum connections.
This would be on a 67' Cutlass Supreme sedan, with the 330 V8 and 4-barrel carb.
I think I will post my miscellany in order, I was curious if any of you guys could help me figure out how this all hooks up so that I can get this running and start tuning the engine for driving again.

The first wire is back by the brake booster/master cylinder, and has this rubber boot on it. It seems like it fits over a small nozzle...

0520142008_zpsbc3548e8.jpg

The next wire should be the ground for the distributor - please don't mind the color, I had to rewire it when I replaced the internal parts of the dizzy:

0520142007b_zps150d98e7.jpg

Next up, I have the power into my coil pack, what wire hooks up here (shown is the aftermarket resistor before the coilpack):

0520142007a_zps9d56dd81.jpg

Next, the battery power and ground cables. I know where they start (lol), but where do they terminate?

0520142006c_zps0c47bdb1.jpg

This wire, I have no clue where it starts or terminates. It is long, black, and with a slide on type of connector on one end, a washer type terminal on the other...:

0520142005_zps78859c7e.jpg

Again, no idea about this wire neither. It is short and purple and has a boot style connector on one end, a slide on type of connector on the other.

downsized_0520142006b_zpsda79edf7.jpg

Finally, there was one other wire which was two together, on the passenger side towards the back - with one yellow wire and one white? colored wire connected to a single hook type connector. I meant to get a picture, but I must have missed it.

In regards to the vacuum, I am just not sure what all connects to what...
I have two connectors on my intake manifold, vac on the distributor, vac for the brakes, a pcv outlet from the passenger side valve cover, a vacuum secondary carb, and then this guy at the far back of the engine bay:

0520142008a_zps49db6812.jpg

Besides those things, I just gotta reseal my water pump with some decent gasket sealer, find some carb hold-down bolts, and a new bolt for the air breather (the new carb has a smaller sized hole) and this girl should be running. hopefully by the end of tomorrow, which is my birthday!
Any and all help would be very much appreciated.
Old May 20th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by CarCrazyChemist
The first wire is back by the brake booster/master cylinder, and has this rubber boot on it. It seems like it fits over a small nozzle...
Probably the brake warning light from the differential valve (I believe that '67 had a dual circuit brake system...)

The next wire should be the ground for the distributor - please don't mind the color, I had to rewire it when I replaced the internal parts of the dizzy
The distributor is grounded directly to the block - it doesn't have a ground wire.

If you mean the (+) distributor wire that goes to the (-) coil terminal, then this must be it.
If it is, then you need to replace it, because this is much too stiff a wire to go to the points plate, which is in constant motion with variations in engine vacuum.
The original was soft like a wet piece of string.

Next up, I have the power into my coil pack, what wire hooks up here (shown is the aftermarket resistor before the coilpack)
One terminal to the coil (+), the other to the Ignition circuit.

Next, the battery power and ground cables. I know where they start (lol), but where do they terminate?
Black (negative) to the block, Red (positive) to the horn relay (if I recall my '67s correctly).

This wire, I have no clue where it starts or terminates. It is long, black, and with a slide on type of connector on one end, a washer type terminal on the other...
Neither of those terminals is original - I have no idea.

Again, no idea about this wire neither. It is short and purple and has a boot style connector on one end, a slide on type of connector on the other.
Purple is usually the starter motor circuit, other than that, I don't know.

Finally, there was one other wire which was two together, on the passenger side towards the back - with one yellow wire and one white? colored wire connected to a single hook type connector. I meant to get a picture, but I must have missed it.
Original wire to the (+) coil terminal.
This is the resistance wire, and the yellow goes down to the starter solenoid R terminal.

... and then this guy at the far back of the engine bay
Air conditioning vacuum reservoir. Connects to manifold vacuum and to the A/C system. It has a check valve, so it won't work if you connect it backwards.

Good luck!

- Eric
Old May 20th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Do you have a wiring diagram that you can confirm these connections prior to applying power?

The first wire goes to the distribution block for the brakes.

The second wire, if it comes from the distributor goes to coil -.

The negative battery cable went to the engine block, the positive battery cable goes to the stud on the horn relay. It's bolted to the drivers fender well.

The fused wire? also goes to the stud on the horn relay and maybe part of the blower circuit, the wire with the slide on spade I have no idea but also may be part of the blower circuit. The resistor should not be there since you still have a resistor wire and maybe part of the blower circuit(see below the white and yellow for the coil +).

I believe the black wire with the boot goes to the blower motor on the firewall under the passenger fender. The purple should be for the starter solenoid. However if its the other end of the wire with the boot I'm thinking the resistor that you think is for the ignition may be for the heater blower.

The yellow and white that are together go to the coil +.

As far as vacuum. You have a transmission modulator connection to the manifold. Distributor is to ported on the carb. PCV to manifold. Brake booster to manifold. I'm thinking the black thing that my car does not have will be to manifold.