EXHAUST CROSS CONNECTIONS

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2008, 04:56 PM
2 '66 98's

EXHAUST CROSS CONNECTIONS

I am a new member and will be jumping in with both feet. I have a couple of 1966 98's and both have dual exhaust. My convertible has a Starfire engine with factory duals and I have added duals to my Holiday Sedan. I notice that Oldsmobile did not make a connection between the exhaust pipes. I read about other brands, especially Ford and see that they consider the Y-pipe or X-pipe as vital for proper breathing. What is the difference?
Old November 26th, 2008, 05:06 PM

I am not sure on this but, I think it has something to do with equalizing exhaust pulses or something like that. I have noticed that exhaust with an x or h pipe does sound better.
Old November 26th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Old(s) Fart

An X pipe will both improve exhaust flow and slightly reduce sound level. The X pipe allows each exhaust pulse to see both mufflers. I prefer the X pipe to an H pipe since it flows more smoothly.
Old November 27th, 2008, 09:45 AM
2 '66 98's

Thanks for the comebacks guys. Do you think I should consider cutting in a connector pipe on my existing system? I am running a 425 with a Edelbrock Torker and Mass Air Flow fuel injection. It runs "decent" but would not win any drag races. It does get good milage - 20 mpg on the Turnpike. It also has an AOD trans (200R4).
Old November 27th, 2008, 11:02 AM

exhaust

I have recently done it to my 72 supreme.I already know the benefits because I've put an x pipe and h pipe on different vehicles.My 96 impala ss has a h pipe and it sounds mean.It gives it a louder hollower sound.You get more power out of the x pipe but it quiets it down.

I say go for it.You'll be happy with the exhaust note.
Old November 28th, 2008, 05:57 AM

Definitely go for an X pipe. Your local exhaust shop should be able to do it for a decent price.
Old November 28th, 2008, 09:09 AM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
An X pipe will both improve exhaust flow and slightly reduce sound level. The X pipe allows each exhaust pulse to see both mufflers. I prefer the X pipe to an H pipe since it flows more smoothly.
I've heard that the reason a car runs better with an "Open" air cleaner is that it "Sees" more atmosphere ...
Old November 28th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by mugzilla
I've heard that the reason a car runs better with an "Open" air cleaner is that it "Sees" more atmosphere ...
Any modification that increases the flow of air into or out of an engine will improve power (assuming the carb or FI accommodates the additional airflow). Having said that, unless you have back-to-back track data to prove it, be wary that the "improvement" from an open element air cleaner or louder mufflers may just be psychological due to the additional noise.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 06:03 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Any modification that increases the flow of air into or out of an engine will improve power (assuming the carb or FI accommodates the additional airflow). Having said that, unless you have back-to-back track data to prove it, be wary that the "improvement" from an open element air cleaner or louder mufflers may just be psychological due to the additional noise.
Turns out my car is geared well for the 1/8th mile, it tops out in 2nd at the finish...

They give fractional times so you can really monitor your performance ...
Old December 3rd, 2008, 06:28 PM

"X" is much better than "H"
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:24 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by Redog
"X" is much better than "H"
I've had lots of other a-bodies, GTO,GS,(other GMs' better left unmentioned) and I like that my non-w baseline engine is nice and juicy.

:buffet: ...