Dropping Gas Tank - 70 Cutlass Supreme

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2014, 10:16 AM

Dropping Gas Tank - 70 Cutlass Supreme

Before I do something stupid, again....I wanted to ask first. What's a good way to siphon fuel from a tank that has the anti-siphon coil in the neck?

Lastly, as this is unfamiliar territory to me, I also want to replace the gas tank once it's empty, but how do I verify which type as OPGI, YearOne, etc have multiple types such as 1, 2, 3 vent, etc. It's a stock tank with a stock Olds 350 fuel pump that's never seen a replacment and it's due.

Apologies if this has been asked before, I did a quick search on the forum and found some similar postings but didn't find one addressing this specifically.
Old October 13th, 2014, 10:36 AM

First thing.....check RockAuto.com for great pricing and great shipping rates. I think you will find their prices (and shipping charges) are A LOT BETTER than Year One and OPGI (which typically have the highest prices on repro parts compared to others).

If it's a non-California car then the Spectra Premium GM34Q is what you would use. The designation of "w/2 vents" in their description means there are the two separate metal vent pipes sticking out of the P side top corner of the tank....this is where the 2 hoses of your "surge tank" (the white plastic piece with the two hoses attached to it) attach.

Save yourself some good money and look at RockAuto.com.....

AND.....check in the "General Discussion" part of this site for the "Rock Auto Discount Code" thread. There will likely be a currently applicable discount code you can use with your order to save another 5% or so.
Old October 13th, 2014, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by 70Post
First thing.....check RockAuto.com for great pricing and great shipping rates. I think you will find their prices (and shipping charges) are A LOT BETTER than Year One and OPGI (which typically have the highest prices on repro parts compared to others).

If it's a non-California car then the Spectra Premium GM34Q is what you would use. The designation of "w/2 vents" in their description means there are the two separate metal vent pipes sticking out of the P side top corner of the tank....this is where the 2 hoses of your "surge tank" (the white plastic piece with the two hoses attached to it) attach.

Save yourself some good money and look at RockAuto.com.....

AND.....check in the "General Discussion" part of this site for the "Rock Auto Discount Code" thread. There will likely be a currently applicable discount code you can use with your order to save another 5% or so.
I default to RockAuto.com for most of my parts however for my 70' Supreme there are no options for a tank replacement which caused me to search on OPGI and YearOne's pages. Thanks for the explanation though.
Old October 13th, 2014, 11:37 AM

Go back to Rockauto GM34Q look under 442. Its $124.79 I cant imagine it would be different for a CS than a 442. You can look under your car to be sure how many vents you have.
Old October 13th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by steverw
Go back to Rockauto GM34Q look under 442. Its $124.79 I cant imagine it would be different for a CS than a 442.
It's not different. They use the same tank.

And to the question of how to empty the tank, I've gotten most of the gas out by disconnecting the rubber line that goes into the pump, directing it into a gas can, and using compressed air in the filler neck to force the gas out of the tank. I use a rag to seal the blow gun in the tank filler neck.
Old October 13th, 2014, 09:33 PM

x3.....Rock Auto has some "bad" info on their site when it comes to tanks and Olds Abody Supremes or convertible Supremes. I spoke with them A LONG time ago about this and they claimed it had something to do with info they got from Spectra.

Regardless...they apparently haven't "fixed" their info...but as already mentioned the tanks are the same and it is made for your body style (as well as the others....same tank).
Old October 17th, 2014, 09:41 AM

I have a new tank with a new GM sending unit/pickup you can have for free if you come get it. It's maybe 8 months old, I switched to an EFI tank. It's a Spectre GM34 with the fuel neck, ready to bolt in. Can post pics if you are skeptical. I'm in Northern VA, right outside of DC.

If you don't plan on using the old tank, just use a phillips head screw driver and punch a hole in the bottom, with a pan under it to catch it as it drains. Obviously, get it as low/empty as you can first. Can use a cheap electric, hand pump, or pressurize it as Joe P suggested. A garden hose and a wet rag works too, just blow in it.

Last edited by HWYSTR455; October 17th, 2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old October 17th, 2014, 10:14 AM

Buy 4 feet of 3/8 hose. Weight one end down (I attached a piece od dipstick tube) so it goes to the bottom of the tank. Cut a small slit about an inch or two from the other end. Stick a nozzle from your compressor in the slit, aimed toward the end and blow. The stream of air will get the fuel flowing without you drinking any of it.
Old October 17th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by tgilligan
Before I do something stupid, again....I wanted to ask first. What's a good way to siphon fuel from a tank that has the anti-siphon coil in the neck?
1970 does not have an anti siphon coil. What are you trying to describe? Is it the neck vent by any chance? I used the method described in the CSM which is the same as what Joe P posted. Works great. If you don't have compressed air, better have some clean water and mouthwash handy...gas in your mouth tastes bad and burns too.
Old October 17th, 2014, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
1970 does not have an anti siphon coil. What are you trying to describe? Is it the neck vent by any chance? I used the method described in the CSM which is the same as what Joe P posted. Works great. If you don't have compressed air, better have some clean water and mouthwash handy...gas in your mouth tastes bad and burns too.
You never suck when you syphon, you blow. If you put the hose in the tank, wrap a wet rag around the opening to make a seal, you blow, the tank pressurizes, and when you stop blowing, it comes out the hose. You can put your thumb on the hose and blow several times to build pressure. Drop the hose lower than the tank neck and into a can. It will start flowing and begin the syphon.

I know a lot of you guys lived during the odd/even days and some of the other gas crunches, you had to have syphoned gas before!

Old October 17th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Naw....really?? My 73 Custom Cruiser thought gas was free. So did my 78 Caddy. You can't imagine how horrifying it was to see gas at 42¢/gallon back then!
Old February 12th, 2018, 03:20 PM

Old thread update: Rock Auto no longer offering Spectra fuel tanks for Cutlass/442.

Edit from info in posts below: Rock Auto does offer Spectra fuel tanks. Search under "Cutlass" (not Cutlass Supreme or 442).

Last edited by Toms cutlass; February 12th, 2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old February 12th, 2018, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Toms cutlass
Old thread update: Rock Auto no longer offering Spectra fuel tanks for Cutlass/442.
Tanks, Inc has them, pretty much the same price Rock Auto had them for:

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...cat/cat127.htm

Jeggs carries the GM Resto ones (Gold Star) for $115:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Golden-Star...paJwFX&vxp=mtr

But I've never held the Gold Star ones in my hand, so not sure of the quality.

If you're close enough to the supplier, you can pick them up at their' location for $80:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-GM-Rest...xXwY76&vxp=mtr

Old February 12th, 2018, 04:05 PM
344879M363895

Ordered mine from Amazon but it is only 3rd party sellers on the listing now.
Amazon Amazon
Old February 12th, 2018, 04:06 PM

RockAuto does still stock and sell the Spectra tanks but it’s indexed under the ‘Cutlass’ rather than the ‘Cutlass Supreme’. However as long as you find the right tank to match venting and any misc connections they should be interchangeable. I picked up my Spectra tank from RA under the base Cutlass for my Supreme and it was a direct fit.
Old February 12th, 2018, 06:13 PM

Thank you all for your replies.

I searched Rock Auto under both "Cutlass Supreme" and "442." I also searched Spectra part # GM34Q. Tgilligan, I stand corrected, RA does offer them under "Cutlass."

I found the Spectra GM34Q on Amazon as well as multiple sellers on eBay, one that offers it in stainless steel.

Thanks again.
Old February 13th, 2018, 02:32 AM

Just curious, has anyone noticed any inside corrosion or other internal problems due to using 10-15% ethanol gas? Would a stainless steel gas tank hold up better? I have heard of carburetors having problems but has anyone seen anything after taking their gas tank out?
Old February 13th, 2018, 03:35 AM

I just dropped my tank. Pitting on the bottom of the tank ( inside). Pick-up tubes filter-sock was also deteriorating.
Tho, its 40+ years old.. Id just say given its age, its normal.
Like who knows if it has been sitting 2 years under tree, tank empty?