Distributor removal

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2023, 11:55 AM

Distributor removal

Have a 67 C/S 330, rebuilt 2 years ago. Just getting around to priming the oil system for its first start.
Having an issue with removing the distributor. I can raise the hold down collar and shaft about 1/4”.
that’s all she wrote, damm
How aggressive should I be with a pry bar or such to remove the distributor???
Old April 29th, 2023, 12:08 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by brianbeez67
Have a 67 C/S 330, rebuilt 2 years ago. Just getting around to priming the oil system for its first start.
Having an issue with removing the distributor. I can raise the hold down collar and shaft about 1/4”.
that’s all she wrote, damm
How aggressive should I be with a pry bar or such to remove the distributor???
Unfortunately this is quite common. There are two potential causes. First, the o-ring on the distributor housing gets hard with age, and coupled with burned-on oil and rust in the hole in the block, it can get stuck. Second, the oil pump driveshaft routinely gets wedged in the hex recess in the distributor gear. The shaft has a pressed-on retainer that is intended to prevent it from falling out of the block if you have it inverted on the engine stand without the distributor in place. Unfortunately, you now have to drag the distributor and shaft up until this friction-fit retainer slides off the end of the shaft and drops into the pan. Either way, it takes brute force. Just be careful not to damage the aluminum distributor housing.

Old April 30th, 2023, 12:08 PM

Well after some fiddlin, I popped it out. Ran the oil pump, got oil out of most of the push rods. I said most, is it critical for all of them to push oil at this point?
should I attempt to rotate the engine and run the oil pump again to try and get oil thru all push rods? Is there any time limit on running the oil pump, counter clockwise in this fashion? I did smell something, could it be the black (anodized?) shaft I used for running the oil pump with my drill.

Old April 30th, 2023, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Try rotating the engine in 90* increments until you see oil out of all the rockers.