Crankpulley very unstable/shaking

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2015, 04:36 AM

Crankpulley very unstable/shaking

When i had my 307 running i see the big crank pulley is very in not balance and shaking when running,, what could be the reason for that?

All 4 bolts ar tight.. My plan was to install this on the bbo cause its bigger dim and make higher rpm on the alternator/servopump pulley than the bbo crank pulley that is a little smaller...
But i dont know .. Are they selling new crank pulleys around in same size maybe?
Old June 10th, 2015, 04:48 AM

Is it the pulley or the balancer? Sometimes the rubber in the balancer can go bad causing problems.
Old June 10th, 2015, 05:00 AM

Previous owner of my car changed the timing chain, which required removal and reinstallation of the balancer. He must not have held the flex plate to fully torque the balancer, because it got loose. I guess he tightened it until the engine turned and figured that would be tight enough. It wobbled and really tore up the balancer and enlarged the keyway to about 1/2 wide. Fortunately it didn't damage the crank snout and a new balancer fixed it...torqued properly.
Old June 10th, 2015, 10:21 AM

No the balancer turned fine as i could see,but not the pulley,, hmm strange, Well i have that engine out anyway now so i will take it of and see.. If its big senter hole enought to install on the wheel balance machine on my work i will try it there to see if is still shaking. Lol

I didnt know it was rubber in the balancer, so maybe it could be that problem too.. But i could not see balancer shaked.
Old June 11th, 2015, 12:24 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

The balance consists of a center steel disc keyed to the front the crankshaft, and a rubber layer with the outer mass of the balacer bonded via the rubber.
If the rubber deteriorates it can eventually result in the balancer coming apart, with very expensive consequences if the engine is running.
It sounds like your balancer is starting to fail. There is a simple cure, replace it!.

Roger.
Old June 11th, 2015, 02:03 AM

Hello, its not the balancer, its the pulley, the steel is not 100% i checked it today in the tire balance machine and try to have press on it to make it 100% flat again, but it looks a little difficult to bend the steel back again. I will check the pulley later after it have stand some hours with press. Lol

About balancer,is it possible to get a new one same as older one? Or need things need to be balanced again,? Just wounder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_1517.JPG (2.49 MB, 33 views)
DSC_1515.JPG (3.16 MB, 33 views)
DSC_1511.JPG (2.85 MB, 31 views)

Last edited by Oldsragger; June 11th, 2015 at 03:49 AM.
Old June 11th, 2015, 04:03 AM

That's a lot of effort for a pulley

What if you were to read the ID marks on the pulley, or measure its OD and overall width, provide that info here, and see who has a good replacement pulley that you can use?

You can be done in like an hour plus a few days' wait time for shipping to Norway??

Shipping cost will probably exceed the part cost

usps has global flat rate boxe at around $30
inquire at usps. com
Old June 11th, 2015, 04:18 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Octania
That's a lot of effort for a pulley
I think he's just having fun with the toys in the shop.

- Eric
Old June 11th, 2015, 05:53 AM

Yeah well i can see if i can find any nr, this pulley have been on a 307, but would be ok to have one with non shaking at all, hehe..

Maybe the engine have been stored in some way with weight on the pulley in front or something... well i see they selling crank,servo and alternator pulley kits on ebay too, but im not sure if the v belts will line up straight,,

Last edited by Oldsragger; June 11th, 2015 at 05:55 AM.
Old June 11th, 2015, 07:30 AM

Didnt find any numbers, only "P" and "LR,,

My plan was to replace it with a smaller pully on my bbo, but i have a little bad alternatorpulley, so maybe its better to replace that pulley with a bigger one if i can find something that will fit.... Just to get some more rpm on alternator when charging....

Let me say this too.. My alternator is 300amp so it should have some speed when idle. It was ok rpm with the big 307 crank pulley above here. Will see what i could find..

Anyway i have not drive the engine/car yet so i dont know yet how the servo act with turning and alternator charging. I will find out..
Attached Images
DSC_1518.JPG (2.85 MB, 13 views)
Old June 15th, 2015, 04:33 AM

Until now the stock small crankpully on the bbo work fine. Easy steering and charging is ok, so i will not swap over the sbo pulley ..

Maybe i will go for a complete pulley kit later in aluminum instead.
But first i need to get the correct servo pulley to make the v belts line up right.