Covering holes on heads

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2007, 07:24 PM

Covering holes on heads

hey everyone, well, I was thinking of doing a little something for my cars performance this weekend, and Ive heard that you can remove the tubes in the heads by the exhaust manifolds. Ive heard that you remove them and put bolts to cover the holes where the tubes were. Does anyone here know if there are any adverse effects to doing this? Also, is removing the tubes and covering the holes all youre supposed to do or is there anything else?
Old November 2nd, 2007, 10:11 PM

Car will fail emissions moreso than it would without doing this, and most likely bring on a check engine light.

Don't forget to plug up the tube from the cat too
Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by olds307owner
hey everyone, well, I was thinking of doing a little something for my cars performance this weekend, and Ive heard that you can remove the tubes in the heads by the exhaust manifolds. Ive heard that you remove them and put bolts to cover the holes where the tubes were. Does anyone here know if there are any adverse effects to doing this? Also, is removing the tubes and covering the holes all youre supposed to do or is there anything else?
Removing the A.I.R. tubes from the exhaust ports on a 307 will produce exactly ZERO performance improvement - but you'll definitely waste a weekend and probably snap off at least one of the A.I.R. manifold nuts in the process.

First, there are NO easy, five minute, 20 HP improvements you can make. The entire engine is designed to work as a system and everything has to be matched to see significant benefits. The goal is to move more air in and out of the engine. Simply removing the tubes does exactly NOTHING unless you pull the heads, grind down the bosses inside the exhaust ports, upgrade to headers, and run a true dual exhaust system. Of course, at that point you need to upgrade the intake and change the programming on the timing curve. Then a new cam is in order, etc, etc.

The good news is that removing the A.I.R. tubes only will NOT trigger a check engine light...

Last edited by joe_padavano; November 3rd, 2007 at 06:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:46 AM

I believe Joe is correct. removing the AIR tubes from the exhaust won't cause a check engine light. Air is injected into the exhaust manifold to lower HC emissions on older cars. The extra O2 helps burn the unburned fuel or HC.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 11:08 AM

If I aint going to feel any improvement, then I guess I wont do it. As for the emissions and check engine light I dont really care because my emissions arent checked and my check engine light has been on since 98 when my dad got the car. Thanks for your input.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 11:14 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

A lil' electric tape will fix your check engine light right up.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 12:32 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
I believe Joe is correct. removing the AIR tubes from the exhaust won't cause a check engine light. Air is injected into the exhaust manifold to lower HC emissions on older cars. The extra O2 helps burn the unburned fuel or HC.
Just to add to this a little, the A.I.R. injection into the heads is only functional when the engine is cold, before the O2 sensor heats up. After the O2 sensor comes on line (about 2-3 minutes after startup) the A.I.R. system switches all air to the converter tap to prevent overheating the cat. The only computer interface to the system is commanding the solenoids that switch the air from manifolds to cat to dump.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by olds307owner
If I aint going to feel any improvement, then I guess I wont do it. As for the emissions and check engine light I dont really care because my emissions arent checked and my check engine light has been on since 98 when my dad got the car. Thanks for your input.

Pull the bulb out then, I did it to mine when I swapped in the 350. No CPU, Check engine light.

It's easy