Core support/radiator/air deflector questions 1972 Supreme

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2018, 07:30 PM
Chris

Core support/radiator/air deflector questions 1972 Supreme

Hi! So I was attempting to button up my core support and associated parts and I came across a few head scratchers. I have a 72 Supreme with AC and 350.
1. The Assembly manual appears to show (section 11 page 112) that the bottom of the core support should have some angled brackets to accept nut 397639 and screw 3960314 to attach the fan shroud to it. My core support doesn't appear to have those brackets (its from a 71, and not sure if it had AC. If it didn't have AC then it wouldn't have used a fan shroud correct? And perhaps therein lies my issue). If that's the case, where can I get these brackets (Scott ).
2. The Assembly manual (section 11 page 114) also shows part 406326 Seal-Side Air Baffle to deflector. Here's a link to a photo: https://www.ebay.com/itm/71-72-442-W...rd!08317!US!-1 I don't remember seeing these on my car. Did they come on every AC car?
3. Finally, another part that I am unfamiliar with is on Assembly manual section 11 page 104, and is part number 4104010 reinforcement. It appears to be a metal or plastic piece that attaches to the deflector. If this is something I need, does anyone have one for sale?
Thank you!
Chris
Old August 29th, 2018, 07:54 PM

For your third item listed, the metal air deflector reinforcement was only used on X Code W30 cars and V Code 455/M20 cars in 1972. (It should state "L77 & L75/SMT" somewhere in the diagram). Your application does not use it. It took me 15 years to find one, literally, so be glad you don't need one! There is a current thread running now about this part.

Terry
Old August 29th, 2018, 07:57 PM
Chris

OK thanks so much Terry! I'm glad you found one after 15 years!
Chris
Old August 29th, 2018, 08:22 PM

#1 - You need two stamped steel metal brackets that were spot welded to the bottom of the radiator support. Scott may have some or you can probably find them via the repro folks (most likely Inline Tube/MotorCitySupercars). You can weld them on, bolt them on or rivet them on.

The "nut" is a clip-nut or J-nut and those get pushed onto the two integral lower tabs on the FAN SHROUD....they don't attach to the metal brackets I mention above. The attaching bolts go FIRST, through these metal brackets and the into the J-nut/fan shroud tabs.

PIC BELOW shows a pair of these brackets I fabricated awhile back.

#2 - I'm aware of those but I have NEVER seen them on any of a few hundred AC-equipped '70-2 Cutlass's I've run across, pulled parts from, etc down here in salvage places. They just serve as air "directors" to possibly help concentrate air flow from the grill openings to the radiator core.

There are some foam rubber "side" fillers also used......these occupy the gap b/n the radiator tanks and the vertical "wall"/sides of the radiator support where it surrounds the radiator.

The factory typically also installed (glued) a flatter profile foam rubber strip on the underside of the radiator top plate and also on the lower "cross bar" of the radiator core....again, gap fillers.

Both those are available repro I believe but many times these survived fairly well.....Scott may have some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2112.JPG (254.6 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by 70Post; August 29th, 2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old August 29th, 2018, 08:41 PM
Chris

70 post, thank you for the detailed info. Ok so I'll look for those brackets. If i can't find any do you have any more that you made? They look nice!
chris
Old August 29th, 2018, 08:56 PM

Hi Chris,
i have those two metal tabs shown in Patton’s post for mounting the lower portion of the fan shroud, they are originals, I will PM you.
Old August 29th, 2018, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Oldssupreme
70 post, thank you for the detailed info. Ok so I'll look for those brackets. If i can't find any do you have any more that you made? They look nice!
chris
Chris - Yes, I probably have another pair that I made. I also have new J-nuts/clip nuts - correct size for the fan shroud tabs and should have decent used rubber strips for the top/bottom rails of the radiator as well as the foam "side" seals that fill the gap on each side of the radiator (these are typically "squished" up a bit but still soft, etc)

If you can't find any of the parts elsewhere - 442crzy has a pair of original brackets and probably has the foam strips I mention as well - let me know.

Thanks
Old August 30th, 2018, 07:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldssupreme
I have a 72 Supreme with AC and 350.

My core support doesn't appear to have those brackets (its from a 71,
You do realize this is a bigger problem, right? The 72 core support has a "bump" to clear the 72 Supreme grills. The 71 does not.
Old August 31st, 2018, 05:06 AM
Chris

Hi Joe! Yes I am am aware of this issue with the lack of bumps from another one of your posts a while back. For right now I will be restoring a pair of 71 supreme grills and installing those. (I know I know). Before I scrapped my 72 support I cut out the two ends with the bumps so I can weld them in one day and go find a set of 72 supreme grills again.
Thanks!
chris
Old September 16th, 2018, 05:01 PM
Chris

So I received a nice used set. I know these were originally welded to the bottom of the core support but Can I bolt these to the cor support? If so where on these pieces should I drill out? And will they line up with the existing small holes in the core support near the fan shroud mounting points? Thanks!