combine exhaust solutions for '67 330 CS

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2010, 02:37 PM

combine exhaust solutions for '67 330 CS

I have been searching for appropriate exhaust solutions for my 1967 CS with a 330 - I was initially looking at headers, but the availability seems to be slim. I do see a couple of interesting solutions for manifolds, assuming they will fit.

I figured I would get some suggestions on a couple I have located:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Olds-...#ht_500wt_1083

http://gawain.membrane.com/~thornton...manifolds.html

They look identical save for the coloring.

What say you?
Old May 15th, 2010, 03:26 PM

I have no idea what I meant by combine - maybe combination? sorry
Old May 15th, 2010, 03:44 PM

They should fit and for a street car less problematic than headers. Both auctions have the same part just a different seller.
Old May 15th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

I suggest that you read this thread (especially post #5) before you decide to spend that kind of money.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...manifolds.html
Old May 15th, 2010, 11:08 PM

I am in favor of capping the cross-over, but for some reason, the exhaust guy to whom I spoke said it would collect water and rust out quickly - I figured the heat would evaporate any water rather quickly. Truly, the crossover pipe has been rusting for a long time and is quite thin - but wouldn't the cross over bolt onto an inlet on the passenger side manifold?

He also said something about the down pipe bolts either not being threaded or the threads were rusted out - which is very probable - but I didn't get what he was seeing/saying, I guess. Wouldn't a new exhaust entail new bolts for the flange anyway?

For some reason, several times when I have spoken to people with shops for various work, they almost ALWAYS try to talk me into other solutions. Maybe I just look like I don't know ANYTHING, which isn't too far from the truth, but I have researched a lot of stuff before just jumping in and approaching a shop. I typically just leave and find a shop that will listen to me rather than going with their own agenda. Should I just be firm and insist that my way is right and have the work done, or is my chosen solution of leaving the better choice?
Old May 16th, 2010, 08:18 AM

Torquetech and Pypes sell performance exhaust systems; 2.5" should be nice on your car and fit well.
Old May 16th, 2010, 11:41 AM

The exhaust pipes and mufflers are no problem to have done locally - it is the manifold/header issue I am having a problem conquering.

Does a company make a cross-pipe cover, or will I have to get someone to weld/fabricate something?
Old May 16th, 2010, 12:11 PM

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/prod...products_id=96

I wonder about these Sanderson Headers - port sizes are shown.
Old May 16th, 2010, 12:28 PM

http://www.racepages.com/products/in...|0&No=0&Npp=10

?
Old May 16th, 2010, 12:34 PM

I have seen a few used Cyclone headers - listed for oldsmobile 330 - 455 - could that be correct?
Old May 16th, 2010, 08:44 PM

Someone at Sanderson Headers emailed me back stating the shorties would fit - I need to take off the manifolds and measure the exhaust port openings just to be sure re: small or large ports - I can't seem to find the measurements of the exhaust ports anywhere online.

It looks like the would be ok straight down - the muffler shop will have to bend and massage the pipes to work, maybe, but that seems to be common with headers and olds.

I am wondering if I should just take off the manifolds and have someone else plug the crossover inlet on the passenger manifold and have the pipes guy do his thing from there - a lot of stuff I have read over the weekend seems to state that olds and headers are not exactly good friends.
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:42 AM
Land Yacht Captain

I would stay away from headers IMO. They are to much of a pain in the *** always needing retightening.
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wjustinmartin
I am in favor of capping the cross-over, but for some reason, the exhaust guy to whom I spoke said it would collect water and rust out quickly - I figured the heat would evaporate any water rather quickly.
Given that the factory did it this way (including the W-31s), you would be correct. It sounds like he's looking to make a few extra bucks installing manifolds.