Cam

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2010, 07:01 PM

Cam

Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold
Edelbrock Performer Carburetor 600CFM 4 barrel
LUNATI OLDSMOBILE 262/268 VOODOO CAM & LIFTERS #60802LK
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_2554wt_947)

Does the cam fit with the performer rpm and carb for a 350 Rocket?
Old November 6th, 2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by BigTrav
Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold
Edelbrock Performer Carburetor 600CFM 4 barrel
LUNATI OLDSMOBILE 262/268 VOODOO CAM & LIFTERS #60802LK
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_2554wt_947)

Does the cam fit with the performer rpm and carb for a 350 Rocket?

Yes but imo the carb is too small. Stock heads?
Old November 6th, 2010, 12:07 PM

How large of a carb would you recommend? Yes the heads are still stock, I was told they were perfect for the car and should keep those. I'm really not too big on the mechanics of the car and this is the first one I'm having rebuilt. I have another question for you. Besides the obvious manifold, carb, and cam, what other things need to be replaced for sure when rebuilding an engine? I'm seeing on some sites they are recommending timing chains, lifters, springs, and other things. I'm just wondering what definitely needs to be replaced...no issues on buying the parts I just don't want to waste money that could be spent on other things in the car.
Old November 6th, 2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by BigTrav
How large of a carb would you recommend? Yes the heads are still stock, I was told they were perfect for the car and should keep those. I'm really not too big on the mechanics of the car and this is the first one I'm having rebuilt. I have another question for you. Besides the obvious manifold, carb, and cam, what other things need to be replaced for sure when rebuilding an engine? I'm seeing on some sites they are recommending timing chains, lifters, springs, and other things. I'm just wondering what definitely needs to be replaced...no issues on buying the parts I just don't want to waste money that could be spent on other things in the car.
Need more info but in a nutshell, Cam, lifters, timing chain and gears, rings, bearings and gaskets. The other stuff depends on your budget and ulitimate goals.
Old November 6th, 2010, 01:21 PM

Well, originally I wanted alot of power but now I'm just trying to have a dependable engine with a little kick when I step on it and a decent exhaust. The only things I have thus far are the three pieces mentioned earlier(carb,cam,mani). I'm currently just trying to purchase the parts for a decent setup so I can have the engine rebuilt on about a 3k budget.
Old November 6th, 2010, 04:47 PM

Gear, compression ratio? Tranny?
Old November 6th, 2010, 05:01 PM

That's where I need the help at?? The transmission is still the original transmission that came in it. I was planning on keeping it the same. Some have told me to go with 3:23 gears, others have said 3:73 gears. As far as compression ratio I have no idea @ all. As you can see I'm not a genius at all when it comes to the rebuilding of engines...
Old November 6th, 2010, 07:36 PM

You have to decide what you want. But imo go with a 3.23 or 3.42, 9.0-9.5:1 compression. That'll give you the luxury of having a few more choices for a cam, and still be very driveable.