Building my first 350 rocket

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2014, 01:23 PM

Building my first 350 rocket

I saw another member doing this and I thought it was an awesome idea. Matter of fact he's been giving me some real helpful advice. Anyways, I'm doing this project with my deployment money but I'm on a pretty tight budget because I'm going back home to Florida for good this summer and I need to save enough money to buy a house. This 71 cutlass I'm building is more or less my trophy to take home and cruise around in. So I got the block and heads in the shop right now getting all kinds of work done to them. I'm trying to pull as close to 400hp as possible. I got mostly everything figured out and what brand, size, measurements etc I want to use but I just wanted to see if anyone on here had some left over parts lying around that they could toss my way for a decent price. Things I need are the edelbrock intake manifold, some rocker arms, headers, rear end limited slip or posi unit and gears edelbrock 750 manual choke, springs, valves, timing chain, flywheel, 442 ram air hood, and a stall converter. I'm surrounded by chevy and ford fans so oldsmobile parts on craigslist don't exist. I do have paypal so I can pay you direct if we work out a deal. So if anyone would like to help out,sell, donate, please let me know.

Semper fi

Ps. For some reason I can't upload more than one photo so as I start building this ill starting posting the pictures

Last edited by 19cutlass71supreme; February 7th, 2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old February 7th, 2014, 01:25 PM

Before anyone asks ... 1971 cutlass supreme.
Old February 7th, 2014, 01:43 PM

Thank you haha.. And what's with the 350 and 350 turbo trans. I would like an msd set up if anyone has one. Complete set up would be great but saving cash on the distributor is my main focus. I also have small block chevy parts if anyone is interested in trading. Intakes and a circle track msd distrubutor with 2 boxes

Last edited by 19cutlass71supreme; February 7th, 2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old February 7th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I got a set of headers I got from a member here I'm not using. You are going to need collectors welded on but that's not a big issue you can buy collectors for 30 bucks and band clamp them or have someone good with a welder weld em up. I have a new jegs 2300-2700 stall new in the box never used I was going to use it but never did. Should be enough stall for the howards cam I told you I was running. I paid 135 and sipping pay me 100 plus the ride and its yours. You can have the headers free I got them for free and don't really need them. I will check and see what I have here.
Old February 7th, 2014, 01:50 PM

Procomp sells a nice hei for 55 bucks I hve one in my dads olds powered pontiac with one of my old 350's. Works like a charm no issues.
Old February 7th, 2014, 03:23 PM

You got a deal copper cutlass. Just pm me please on how to want to work the payment and thanks a million
Old February 7th, 2014, 07:02 PM

First let me get a price for shipping. I think the converters run close to 30 and headers about 30 aswell. let me figure out how im gonna box the headers and I can get you a price for that. I tend to forget things so just pm if im taking too long in the midst of work and projects and everything else I forget stuff lol. I will try to get prices on Monday.
Old February 7th, 2014, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by 19cutlass71supreme
I saw another member doing this and I thought it was an awesome idea. Matter of fact he's been giving me some real helpful advice. Anyways, I'm doing this project with my deployment money but I'm on a pretty tight budget because I'm going back home to Florida for good this summer and I need to save enough money to buy a house. This 71 cutlass I'm building is more or less my trophy to take home and cruise around in. So I got the block and heads in the shop right now getting all kinds of work done to them. I'm trying to pull as close to 400hp as possible. I got mostly everything figured out and what brand, size, measurements etc I want to use but I just wanted to see if anyone on here had some left over parts lying around that they could toss my way for a decent price. Things I need are the edelbrock intake manifold, some rocker arms, headers, rear end limited slip or posi unit and gears edelbrock 750 manual choke, springs, valves, timing chain, flywheel, 442 ram air hood, and a stall converter. I'm surrounded by chevy and ford fans so oldsmobile parts on craigslist don't exist. I do have paypal so I can pay you direct if we work out a deal. So if anyone would like to help out,sell, donate, please let me know.

Semper fi

Ps. For some reason I can't upload more than one photo so as I start building this ill starting posting the pictures

I would recommend you should be more specific about the parts you are looking for. I might have some stuff for you, depending on if you're after stock parts, or aftermarket. I think you meant to say flexplate, not flywheel, unless you're building a stick shift car. I have some good used valves. What size are you looking for? If you want new valves, I have a good source reasonable. Which Edelbrock intake are you looking for? I might be able to ship some stuff with Coppercutlass.
Old February 7th, 2014, 10:31 PM

Yes it is an automatic. Good catch and I am after aftermarket parts as far as engine goes. Later I'll be looking for stock trim parts but for now I'm focusing my budget on getting this car down the road with some serious power. I'm waiting in my heads to come back from the shop befor I decide what size valves I'll need. I'm also looking for the 7111 high rise intake or better
Old February 7th, 2014, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
First let me get a price for shipping. I think the converters run close to 30 and headers about 30 aswell. let me figure out how im gonna box the headers and I can get you a price for that. I tend to forget things so just pm if im taking too long in the midst of work and projects and everything else I forget stuff lol. I will try to get prices on Monday.
That sounds good thank you
Old February 8th, 2014, 09:12 PM

I would recommend you put the largest valves that will fit into your heads. I'm doing a set of #5s right now with 2.07" intakes & 1.68" exhaust valves. You can see them in the "Home Porting Techniques" thread. You might also want to open up a thread in the parts wanted section, but try to be specific about what your after. Can you tell us more about your car? That might help us to try to figure out what's going to work best for you. Coppercutlass is a good guy, and he really knows how to stretch the dollar. You should check out his thread "the new sbo budget build that classicoldsmobile gave me"
Old February 8th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Beer Connoisseur

ferrea valves in. 2.075 exh. 1.710 #6 heads ported.

Old February 9th, 2014, 08:47 AM

Well I'm trying to get as much horsepower as possible on a pretty tight budget. I'm looking for performance / after market parts new or used. My car is a 71 bone stock. I pulled the motor out sent it to the machine shop and now I'm gathering all the parts

Last edited by 19cutlass71supreme; February 9th, 2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old February 9th, 2014, 09:21 AM

I think what he means is what do you need as far as what do you have. You gotta have a game plan In mind. ON my current build I spend a better part of months jumping between 3 different cams that where pretty close but each one cost different. You need to know what valves you want to run , what pistons etc. Hit the classifieds of this forum and you will find alof of smallblock stuff but you need to stay on top of it and look every day. My current build is going on well over a year because to build anything you need 2 things time or money. I need to save money so I take my time and buy parts as I see them come my way. The shortest time I spent building an engine was 7 months.
Old February 9th, 2014, 09:28 AM

Ok I understand and thanks for the pointers. Right now I need the 7111 edelbrock intake. I'm looking to run an msd distributor with the 6al box. I already have the cam in mind, some members are selling me headers torque converter, roller rockers set up and one is still debating on wether or not to sell me his 7111. I'm still looking for valves and springs but not sure what I should go with yet. Mainly I need top end parts. The block, piston and rods, and bearings are all taken care of. I also need some gaskets
Old February 9th, 2014, 09:30 AM

My plan is to gather up parts that I know I can use. I wish I could show progress so I can generate a better list but I'm still waiting on my engine to come out the shop and start putting it together
Old February 9th, 2014, 02:05 PM

My opinion on these ridiculously oversized valves; without SIGNIFICANT work, they are waste of time and money, the valves will waaaay outflow the ports, especially on the ex side. JMHO.
Old February 10th, 2014, 06:32 AM

valves

Originally Posted by captjim
My opinion on these ridiculously oversized valves; without SIGNIFICANT work, they are waste of time and money, the valves will waaaay outflow the ports, especially on the ex side. JMHO.
Well Jim I'm not so sure about that. Even on a small block head, it seems the valves are the biggest restriction. It's pretty easy to see significant gains by just going with the largest valve that will fit. Here's an un-ported BB example that Milan put together that put out 482HP & 520 torque-
http://realoldspower.prophpbb.com/topic2913.html
Old October 26th, 2019, 04:06 PM
O'smobile

Flat top pistons can be a good thing if you are okay with increased compression of 10.25:1.
Old October 26th, 2019, 04:51 PM

Most flat top pistons on a 350 with the typical .025 piston to deck which is common with the speed pros and an untouched deck surface and the usually 68-72 cc's of the combustion chambers usually brings the compression to the 10 to 1 range. It will go up if you deck the block and mill the heads.
Old October 26th, 2019, 07:03 PM

5 year old thread.

The original poster hasn't been on the board since 2016.
Old October 26th, 2019, 08:46 PM

I simply responded to the compression issues i saw. 5 year old or not its been debunked info.