budget 350

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Where were you in '72?

Smile budget 350

I have a SBO 350 with just over 100k (factory Quadrajet and dual pipes with crossover), it is currently dissassembled and on an engine stand. I wanted to perform a real cheap cleanup on it to last me till I can replace with either a crate or a 455 power plant at some point in the future. I've never seen the engine run but was told it was running fine before dissassembly (no unusual noises, didn't burn much oil) in fact when inspecting the bores and pistons looked like new with very slight ridge at the top of the bore. I was planning on honing and re-ringing, replacing the cam with a mild upgrade, replace the lifters and a general engine cleaning. My question is three part...is this a resonable path assuming the engine seems to be sound? ...if I were to replace the cam what would be the best replacement as I don't want to upset the current valvetrain geometry? ...is there any other issues I should be aware of? Thanks
Old December 3rd, 2009, 11:13 AM

Cheap cleanup?
Did you pull it out to rebuild it, or swap heads out, or just to make it look pretty?
Do you have factory pistons?
Did you remove a steel shim head gasket, or a composite gasket?
How much crosshatch is left on the bores?
Factory timing set? This is what usually goes out 1st in an Olds engine-IMO
Did you do a Compression test?
Leakdown test?
If this is a short term engine, would it even matter on any of these issues?
Food for thought.
Jim
Old December 3rd, 2009, 01:14 PM
Where were you in '72?

Thx. Jim,
I had the engine given to me on a skid, it was pulled out of a '72 cutlass s driven by a little old lady ('no kidding'). I'm building up a '72 442/350 with a very tired engine (not #'s matching) and was going to use the "little old lady" engine. There is a lot of sludge in the engine, although it cleaned up nice, everything looks stock, metal gasket, no crosshatches...there's wear on the cylinders as I can feel a very slight ridge at the top of the cylinders. "Short term" is a relative term...I just want to get her on the road with a little extra getup without spending a lot of dough and when my priorities change, I'll upgrade.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 01:24 PM
Where were you in '72?

I spoke with a local machine shop today, and was told that I could get the heads rebuild (bronze valve guides, seals, valve seat grind, head shave, valve cleanup), comp cam kit (@ around .455/470, w/lifters) and new springs for around a grand...that's not bad! I'm not sure if I need to work the cylinders if I end up doing the heads, can I just ream and hone the cylinders and replace the rings...do I oversize the rings?
Old December 3rd, 2009, 02:26 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by boondocker
can I just ream and hone the cylinders and replace the rings...do I oversize the rings?
Obviously this depends how out of round your cylinders are.
I'm running 6 thou piston to wall clearance right now and it seems to be fine.

You can buy file fit middle and top rings and set the ring gap yourself by fileing the ends.
If I remember correctly, my end gaps were set around .025"

I guess it would still physically run at 15 thou piston to wall but it wouldn't be that great of a motor.
Old December 4th, 2009, 06:33 AM

spoke with a local machine shop today, and was told that I could get the heads rebuild (bronze valve guides, seals, valve seat grind, head shave, valve cleanup), comp cam kit (@ around .455/470, w/lifters) and new springs for around a grand
I thought you said you wanted to do this on the cheap? If you want to save money just put a cam in it, replace the lifters and valve guide seals, and assemble it. If it turns over with a wrench and there wasn't any bearing material in the oil pan it will run fine. Comp Cams makes decent "factory muscle" cams that aren't too radical.
Old December 4th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Where were you in '72?

Yes, I digress...you know how these things go, I've got the engine apart and it just kind of snowballs. My original question was to replace the cam and lifters...and I believe my question has been answered (on a parallel post).
Old December 4th, 2009, 10:32 PM

It sounds like the engine is pretty sound. If it was me, I would polish the crank, install std. rings and rod brgs, main brgs. trimming chain set, new oil pump(shim pressure spring .250"). You can ball hone the cyl. A std valve job and cam a lifters and put it back together and run it. Be sure to dial in the cam. A low dollar job.
One step farther, deck the block to make sure it is straight. Mill the heads for the same reason. A 3 angle valve job. A nice scratch stone hone. A little more money.
Be sure to enlarge the oil holes in the main brgs to match the oil holes in the block.
Gene