Best heads for 350 sbo

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2014 | 09:31 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Smitty275
Dude, Seriously? I work a minimum of 50hrs a week at the day job. Usually 55-60. I also run my home shop which takes another 30hrs average a week and more at this time of year since racers are getting their income return money back and want to get ready to go racing. Plus I take care of exercising 3 hunting dogs which love to run. (But no I do not hunt, Just like dogs and these three are all rescues.) Add in I have a wife who likes a lot of attention and 4 cats. If you wanted to say you have no desire to build an engine, or don't know how, then that would be one thing. But to say you don't have time means that you just don't want to. And to go to the dark side of SBC is ridiculous. Any one of us who specialize in Olds engine builds would be willing to work with you on shipping a complete ready to bolt in and drive Oldsmobile engine. That's why I try to keep between 20 and 30 cores stored.
Dude you work in a machine shop, you build engines for living how does that even compare?? I have 3 little kids that need/deserve more of my attention than your dogs or cats need from you. If I didn't have my kids I would attempt to build a motor, but I rather spent a little free time that I have with my kids that I love more than anything in this world.

I never said I would put a crate in the Oldsmobile, as a matter of a fact Mark is building a 463 for me right now. I was just saying if there was a Olds crate I would buy it. You build engines and crate motors are your worst enemy, I understand. 383 crate that I bought was for my 69 Chevelle.

Last edited by 70cutty; February 22nd, 2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by 70cutty
I was just saying if there was a Olds crate I would buy it.
How do you know that? What if it did not suit your needs or budget? I don't know how many times I can say the same thing; the demand isn't there. It just isn't. Several different engines would be needed, just like SBC. Mild 8.5 to 1, 400 HP 10./25 to 1, and on and on. That is why guys like Smitty and Mark build custom engines. Yes, they probably cost 20% more, but you know that going in when you run a Buick, Olds, Pontiac, AMC, whatever. If you want to go fast as cheap as possible, get an X-body GM or a Fox Body Mustang. Both are light, inexpensive to buy with huge aftermarket support. This is anm Oldsmobile forum.
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 10:44 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by VinMichael
I've got some #5's in my garage with some exhaust valves that are all-over-the place. Granted, I have some 441 chevy heads with exhaust valves straight-up buried an 1/8" deep.

The olds are in much better shape than the 441's but I'm still not totally convinced that the olds are fine with unhardened seats. The exhaust valves on the #5's are not great.
The problem with sunken olds seats I've run across, was always due to combination of 2 things working together to ruin it. :
1. a valve job cut that weakened the factory seat area
2. a sloppy valve guide that makes the valve swirl around on the seat like a whirlpool.

My factory F heads were raced hard, to the point of melting through 2 pistons, and were completely stock.
Upon teardown, guess what? the valves ultimately lost that battle. Seats were just fine, but the valves had the seat shapes beaten into the margins.
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 10:55 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Originally Posted by captjim
How do you know that? What if it did not suit your needs or budget? I don't know how many times I can say the same thing; the demand isn't there. It just isn't. Several different engines would be needed, just like SBC. Mild 8.5 to 1, 400 HP 10./25 to 1, and on and on. That is why guys like Smitty and Mark build custom engines. Yes, they probably cost 20% more, but you know that going in when you run a Buick, Olds, Pontiac, AMC, whatever. If you want to go fast as cheap as possible, get an X-body GM or a Fox Body Mustang. Both are light, inexpensive to buy with huge aftermarket support. This is anm Oldsmobile forum.
What??? You don't make any sense. I said IF THERE WAS A OLDS CRATE I WOULD BUY IT.
I don't race I cruise like most guys on CO, this is not an argument about going fast as cheap as possible this is about budgeting and not being lazy and building your own motor or working on our heads in our garage.
Like I said most of don't have the knowledge, don't have the tools or a machine shop at our disposal.
Please do us all a favor and read the whole thread before posting your comment that way we can understand what you are trying to say.

I am a proud owner of an Oldsmobile and I come here to learn as I wasn't born with a die grinder and a wrench in my hands. One day when my kids are bigger and I have money to play with I will attempt to build my own engine. I know this is gonna shock some of your guys but right now spending time with my kids is way more important than building an engine my self. I don't mind paying Mark to build it, I saved for 2 years and I wanna get done right the first time. If it was possible I would pay you, Mark, Smitty or somebody knowledgable to put the engine in the car so I can be with my kids instead of under the hood.
Since I don't have anybody near me that I can trust and I can't afford it I will do that part myself.

That being said I will conclude this argument by saying that I like CO. I have learned a lot here and I don't come here to argue I come here to learn. You guys forgot more than I will ever know about Oldsmobiles. But when somebody calls me lazy cause I don't wanna do something that I don't know how to do and don't have a place to learn how to do, it pisses me off.
I am a father first and everything else comes second even the car believe it or not.

Last edited by 70cutty; February 22nd, 2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 10:55 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I never said I would put a crate in the Oldsmobile, as a matter of a fact Mark is building a 463 for me right now. I was just saying if there was a Olds crate I would buy it. You build engines and crate motors are your worst enemy, I understand. 383 crate that I bought was for my 69 Chevelle.
I've had one on ebay for almost a year. 375/400 Olds 350. drop in and go, for $4300.

I get nothing but stupid questions that are already stated in the ad.

Like:

"is it bore out"?
"does it have a cam"?

Seems to me that Olds guys would rather
A: Grind on their stuff for themselves
or
B: pick a guy on one of the sites like smitty or mark and build it piece by piece, and month by month. Sometimes year by year

I have no idea why the cards flop that way, but that is the way it is. I have been on these Oldsmobile sites for 10 + years
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 11:03 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
I've had one on ebay for almost a year. 375/400 Olds 350. drop in and go, for $4300.

I get nothing but stupid questions that are already stated in the ad.

Like:

"is it bore out"?
"does it have a cam"?
I had my Olds 350 on craigslist for 2 weeks and they are driving me crazy with stupid questions. I have it listed carb to pan, one guy said "I just need the block you can keep the rest, how much". If he was standing in front of I would probably be arrested for an assault or worse. The other guy is asking me what's the top speed of the engine? It's like WTF where do these idiots come from?
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 11:03 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

That being said I will conclude this argument by saying that I like CO. I have learned a lot here and I don't come here to argue I come here to learn. You guys forgot more than I will ever know about Oldsmobiles. But when somebody calls me lazy cause I don't wanna do something that I don't know how to do and don't have a place to learn how to do, it pisses me off.
I am a father first and everything else comes second even the car believe it or not.

Good. Don't let it ruffle your feathers too much. It's just the internet.
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 11:05 AM

What??? You don't make any sense. I said IF THERE WAS A OLDS CRATE I WOULD BUY IT.
I read that, you don't have to yell, and I stated, "how do you know you would buy it?"

"Crate motor" can mean anything. What if it was a 250 HP engine for $7,000, would you buy it? Or, what if it was an 11 to 1 engine with a huge cam, would you buy it?

You are missing the point I have stated repeatedly, everyone wants something different. There is no one combination that would suit the majority of consumers. Chevy crate motors come in a bunch of different performance levels. Why? Because the market is there. There are a LOT of smart businessmen in the world. Do you think that if there was money to be made, none of them would cash in on this "opportunity"?
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 11:09 AM
Beer Connoisseur

I read that, you don't have to yell, and I stated, "how do you know you would buy it?"

"Crate motor" can mean anything. What if it was a 250 HP engine for $7,000, would you buy it? Or, what if it was an 11 to 1 engine with a huge cam, would you buy it?

You are missing the point I have stated repeatedly, everyone wants something different. There is no one combination that would suit the majority of consumers. Chevy crate motors come in a bunch of different performance levels. Why? Because the market is there. There are a LOT of smart businessmen in the world. Do you think that if there was money to be made, none of them would cash in on this "opportunity"?
Thank you for taking the time to explain that. Now I understand what you meant and you are right. You can literally set your goal open Summit or whatever and buy it.

I apologize for yelling.
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 11:11 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I also find it amusing that Olds guys can always find $1700 for a used running engine with 250 horse but just don't ever get to the point of dropping the 6k for a new and reliable one with twice the power.

These are hobby cars, and a half used up engines last a loooong time when you only take the car out of the garage 5 times a year.
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 12:49 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I finally read completely what 380 said. 380 If im on your ignore list then why bother quoting me. IM proud of my relatively low effort 350 that ran 13.86 through the mufflers . Im not going to sit here and whine because you get all butt hurt because im cheap. Sorry if you feel that your approach is correct and I offend you with my approach. I don't want to go as fast as you. With my current combo I think I'll be dipping into the 12's ultimately that's my overall goal. Run 12's on pump gas with my small block that I built. Im sure if I had the funds I could build an even faster engine but that's not what I want. Im just a guy who loves to work on cars. I do it day in and day out , At home , I work on my car my dads car my fiancé's k5 blazer. I know my way around a car very well and if I don't I figure it out and learn. I don't think I would be working for lexus if I didn't know my way around a car. Im also proud to say im the only body man in the shop @ 25 I think that aint bad. I don't brag about that very often .,so I might be cheap but I got enough skills to do my own stuff and enough ***** to give it try and just dive in head first. I know from the get go what can happen from using old parts and hand me downs . It's a risk im willing to take I don't mind pulling an engine every winter to go over it. I got more time than money and a garage full of tools.

Last edited by coppercutlass; February 22nd, 2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 04:12 PM

I'm done with this topic. I have a wife and my daughter was eight when I started racing. My job didn't pay a lot nor did my wife's. I started out buying cheap half shot parts. I soon learned to buy high quality when I could.........they lasted much longer. This whole time I had to battle diabetes, heart problems, and also threw in there severe migraine headaches. But I kept on fighting to do the sport I love. I also love my 3 grandkids. So don't tell me how hard you got it boo-fukin-hoo.
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 04:21 PM

ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh . I didnt ask about your personal life.i have my own set of responsibilities , and issues. I never once complained Im making do with what i have so your coment holds no water sir. I dont have to state my health issues or stuf like that. Im not in a pissing match match here. Im just simply saying i have to do what i have to do. I DONT CARE how you did it do you not get it i can care less what you have to say ! I dont care what you have accomplished ! I dont care what hoops you had to jump through or your battles. Are you making it a point to brag about how bad you had it becasue im not im simply saying i gotta do what i gotta do. I dont care what you ha to go through. I HAVE the money to finish up my new engine that im working on but i find it more important to have a rainy day fund vs. buying new parts . I could go out and buy a set of procomps and not batt an eye but i dont know whats down the road and i dont like having debt so that is why the way i am. I know you have had your close calls but i almost died at 17 was in i.c. for one week . But im sure you can care less about that. Just saying we all have are lifes issues you me and lots of members here im sure. I dont have to go on about it and say how it gets in my way i make it work.

Last edited by coppercutlass; February 22nd, 2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 04:24 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by 380 Racer
I'm done with this topic. I have a wife and my daughter was eight when I started racing. My job didn't pay a lot nor did my wife's. I started out buying cheap half shot parts. I soon learned to buy high quality when I could.........they lasted much longer. This whole time I had to battle diabetes, heart problems, and also threw in there severe migraine headaches. But I kept on fighting to do the sport I love. I also love my 3 grandkids. So don't tell me how hard you got it boo-fukin-hoo.

Pfffft hey man my jocks off 2 you, unless you've got a headache, who was boo-fukin- hooin ??
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 04:43 PM

My this thread has degraded!
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 04:44 PM

Well,... That escalated quickly lol
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 04:52 PM

Thank you for taking the time to explain that. Now I understand what you meant and you are right. You can literally set your goal open Summit or whatever and buy it.

I apologize for yelling.
Just keep in mind, you CAN do the same thing, pick up the phone, make a call, and have a complete engine delivered. You just need to call an Olds builder instead of Summitt, tell him what you want, ask him how much and when it will be done. Yes, it will cost a bit more and take a bit longer.
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 05:04 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Best head

I find it quite entertaining.
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 05:10 PM

R.O.P is the best entertainment!
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 05:17 PM
Hookers under Hood

Entertainment at its best, I'm getting ready for a good head start tonight. Lay it out on the pillow top and have my wife flow test it. She'll Just have be careful going thru the rpm ranges to keep it all together. No time slips needed !!
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by 76olds
Entertainment at its best, I'm getting ready for a good head start tonight. Lay it out on the pillow top and have my wife flow test it. She'll Just have be careful going thru the rpm ranges to keep it all together. No time slips needed !!
I see what you did there! Lol well played good sir
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 05:23 PM

Lmfao ! 76Olds. Yeah the finace will drag ot that last gear for a while until he rpms peak lol
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 05:25 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Just keep in mind, you CAN do the same thing, pick up the phone, make a call, and have a complete engine delivered. You just need to call an Olds builder instead of Summitt, tell him what you want, ask him how much and when it will be done. Yes, it will cost a bit more and take a bit longer.
Yes I know, I did that. Saved for 2 years to be able to do this right and that's why I ask Mark to build it for me. I wish I had the time or the knowhow to do it myself. I mean I could do it what would be the result...who knows. So not to take any chances with my hard earned money I got one of the best builders to do it.
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 05:27 PM
Beer Connoisseur

LOL 76olds.

Yeah I am about to go home and get my head massaged and polished to improve the flow.
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 05:40 PM
Hookers under Hood

oh you guys are entertainment at its best lmao, Put-r-ther . hey Oldskool , do you know what the best head to perform is now. You got it Rite here on the friendly CO forum. Cheers buddy, Just show your wife how to make a dam good pistol grip shifter and keep your head up.
Oldskool don't say your starting a new thread on whats the optimum lockup with a torque convertiner.

Last edited by 76olds; February 22nd, 2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 06:49 PM

I'm amazed that married people still want to touch each other.
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 06:53 PM

Hey someone has to do it., it aint touching it's self .
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 07:47 PM
Hookers under Hood

Lmao , I still have all 10 fingers and toes as does my wife. Did you fabricate something you would like to share with us. Does it have to be shipped crated or bubble wrapped ? I like to play too touching is the bonus!!
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 08:15 PM
Beer Connoisseur

It's all about the size of the bore and whether you got enough stroke or not. If your fluids spill after the first pass you will be disqualified. You have to have (in words of 76olds) a stout ram rod rocket that can last more than one pass. If not your head will not be polished and flow will be affected. Your rocket must perform well or she will find another camshaft to open up her valves.

Chemistry man, people get married for all the wrong reasons. 9 years in and 3 kids later and it's better than ever.
You have to be creative.
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 08:37 PM
Hookers under Hood

It's all about the size of the bore and whether you got enough stroke or not. If your fluids spill after the first pass you will be disqualified. You have to have (in words of 76olds) a stout ram rod rocket that can last more than one pass. If not your head will not be polished and flow will be affected. Your rocket must perform well or she will find another camshaft to open up her valves.

Chemistry man, people get married for all the wrong reasons. 9 years in and 3 kids later and it's better than ever.
You have to be creative.

Lmao Put-r-ther I just chocked on my drink and it came out my nose reading this , oh my washers are wearing out.

Creativity is a one button keyless entry....Fire 'er' up and get that water pump flowing thru the heat cycles . Somethings work better as the washers wear out specially when you develop a kiddie pool on the pillow top after a good priming. Ride on thru the nite !!!
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 08:43 PM

I'm far from a prude, but honestly see no real need for all this nonsense. You sound like a bunch of little kids. Oh wait............ JMHO.
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 09:15 PM
Hookers under Hood

Ah capt. sometimes you just have to add a little humor into life. One day I'll grow up and be uptight and somewhat prudish myself, but for now were just enjoying life with a little humor is all. Sorry to have dragged you into the nonsence. Oh wait .... you are far from a prude.
Old February 22nd, 2014 | 09:22 PM
Hookers under Hood

Well I'd hate to be a prude but its time I put the landing gear down and pilot my sweet ride waiting for me .

Cheers guys hard feelings comin on here now !!
Old February 23rd, 2014 | 04:38 AM

I'm far from a prude, but honestly see no real need for all this nonsense. You sound like a bunch of little kids. Oh wait............ JMHO.

And yet they bitch about ROP. They need to find a **** site to do their bragging. Oh ya........JMHO.
Old February 23rd, 2014 | 04:50 AM

coming from the guy who gets his panties all in a bunch because I use cheap parts you are just as bad as the rest of em.
Old February 23rd, 2014 | 05:47 AM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
coming from the guy who gets his panties all in a bunch because I use cheap parts you are just as bad as the rest of em.

lmao panties if that's all it was a man could understand. Lord tunderin geez, I'm thinking some were implanted with too many female hormone chips at birth.
Old February 23rd, 2014 | 05:49 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Was there a point in your guys life where you had a sense of humor and knew how to have a little bit of fun or were you always so uptight? Or is it just the age difference?

I apologize if our previous comments touched a nerve, but there is a medical solution for that problem.
Old February 23rd, 2014 | 05:58 AM
Hookers under Hood

My CO friends please forgive me I'm looking into some over 50 meds , Please forgive me in the name of my father-inlaw , my mother-inlaw and holy $hit ahman !!
Old February 23rd, 2014 | 06:01 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Obviously at some point this thread has taken a wrong turn due to some of the members need to prove that they are right every time and everybody else is wrong. We were simply trying to change the subject with a little humor and diffuse the situation.
I know this may be shocking to some of you but around here guys and girls are known to get together, have a few drinks, talk some smack and have a little fun. Sometimes this takes place in the garage, other times in the backyard over a bbq or even inside the house.

Last edited by 70cutty; February 23rd, 2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old February 28th, 2014 | 04:14 AM

I got my ProComps from Bernard via Ebay, they are still listed there.