another spun bearing?

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2012, 05:57 PM
NôôB

another spun bearing?

yeah i am about to give up on cars here lol. This time its the rallye making the noise...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5JnE...ature=youtu.be

What you guys think.
TIA
Sicky
Old January 6th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You sure that's not a rocker pedestal loose?

- Eric
Old January 6th, 2012, 06:05 PM
NôôB

i originally thought it was a head gasket so i went and replaced the head gasket and in putting it back together i retorqued (to specs) all the rocker pedestals, unless they can still be loose like that, i am willing to try anything so as i dont have to rebuild 2 motors lol
Old January 6th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Could it be a collapsed lifter ? Never had an issue like this but if it is bad lifter being stuck in the down position torqueing the pedastals wont help. Go through the valves see if any are loose in the closed position. It seemed like it was running really rough when you reved it up which leads me to think it could be a valve train issue . Could be wrong just throwing that out there others can correct me here . You mentioned your car would run but then die I had an issue kinda like this when i broke my current engine in during brake in it just shut off . It turned out one of the rockers got loose and it just stopped running since one of the valves was not working.

Last edited by coppercutlass; January 6th, 2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old January 6th, 2012, 06:28 PM
NôôB

so most likely not a spun bearing? i like the sounds of this lol.

If youhave seen my other thread of me disassembling it you guys said that 8 looked fishy, think that could be the culprit?

And to check for a stuck lifter do i have to take the heads off again?

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...e-my-luck.html
other thread i mentioned
Old January 6th, 2012, 06:41 PM

To check the lifters you can do it with the heads on just take the valve covers off. let each lifter bleed down so turn the engine by hand and let each valve open for a minute or so run throuh all 16 then check for lifter travel by pushing down on the pushrod if one does not work like the others thats it. That's what we did for my friends sbc 350 to find his bad lifter . Like i said im no pro so my techniques might not be correct .
Old January 6th, 2012, 06:53 PM
NôôB

sweet i will have to try that when it gets lighter outside lol
Old January 6th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by sicky olds
... i retorqued (to specs) all the rocker pedestals, unless they can still be loose like that...
Wellllll...

The pedestal can't be loose, BUT the mating surfaces of the pedestal and the rocker arm CAN be worn, creating play that is just the same as a loose pedestal.
If that's the case, you should be able to feel it with the lifter on the heel of the lobe - you should be able to shake the rocker all over the place.

If you don't see or feel anything with the valve covers off, I'd try running the engine at idle, and feeling each rocker as it moves to see if one just doesn't feel "right."
Failing that, look at the mating surfaces of each rocker and pedestal pivot - if the pattern on one looks different from the others, that's your culprit.

- Eric
Old January 6th, 2012, 07:40 PM

I had one that sounded like that. I shut the engine off one day and it shook funny as it shut off. I fired it back up and it rattled and ran rough. turns out a valve spring broke when I shut it off. put a new spring on it and it ran fine. sometimes the things will drive you nuts.
Old January 7th, 2012, 04:14 AM
NôôB

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
I had one that sounded like that. I shut the engine off one day and it shook funny as it shut off. I fired it back up and it rattled and ran rough. turns out a valve spring broke when I shut it off. put a new spring on it and it ran fine. sometimes the things will drive you nuts.
the springs looked fine to me but iwill have to double check them i guess...
Just hope i dont have to remove the heads again lol.

Next question is on my radiator, it seems to be draining but i am not sure where to? any ideas on that one?
Old January 7th, 2012, 06:05 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Next question is on my radiator, it seems to be draining but i am not sure where to? any ideas on that one?
Into your #8 cylinder.

Seriously, though, did you take a close look at your head gasket at the #8 cylinder? It could have had a coolant leak into #8, which might explain the cleaner appearance.

Aside from that, there are many possibilities.
How much are you losing?
Does your exhaust smell like antifreeze?

- Eric
Old January 7th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Administrator

If you run the engine with the valve covers off you will be able tell right away if its a valve train issue. Just follow the noise. Olds engines are notorious for rocker and collapsed lifter issues. The rockers and pedestals are still available at your local parts store. I've also seen alot of concaved lifter bottoms on hi mileage olds engines over the years.

Last edited by oldcutlass; January 7th, 2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old January 7th, 2012, 07:16 AM
car guy

This one sounds like valve train to me. Step one pull both valve covers off and disconnect the ignition so it won't start. I would pull the plugs too to make it easier and save battery life. Now either rig a remote starter button or have a friend run the key from inside. Bump the motor over until you one on the valves on number 1 open and then closes completly. Once closed one more small bump and you are now on the base circle for that valve. Take your fingers and grab the pushrod. You are checking for up and down slack and how hard it is to spin in you fingers. Make a note of that valve and do the same thing with the other valve on number 1.

Keep doing this until all 16 valves are checked. You should know where your problem is when you are done.
Old January 7th, 2012, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Into your #8 cylinder.

Seriously, though, did you take a close look at your head gasket at the #8 cylinder? It could have had a coolant leak into #8, which might explain the cleaner appearance.

How much are you losing?

- Eric

good eye, i also spotted that clean piston top and thought water
Old January 7th, 2012, 02:51 PM

You can compare the sound with mine,wich was bearings. Wish you good luck and hope is something simple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdSc1...e_gdata_player
Old January 7th, 2012, 03:53 PM
NôôB

Originally Posted by gearheads78
This one sounds like valve train to me. Step one pull both valve covers off and disconnect the ignition so it won't start. I would pull the plugs too to make it easier and save battery life. Now either rig a remote starter button or have a friend run the key from inside. Bump the motor over until you one on the valves on number 1 open and then closes completly. Once closed one more small bump and you are now on the base circle for that valve. Take your fingers and grab the pushrod. You are checking for up and down slack and how hard it is to spin in you fingers. Make a note of that valve and do the same thing with the other valve on number 1.

Keep doing this until all 16 valves are checked. You should know where your problem is when you are done.
can i also hand crank the motor for this?
Old January 7th, 2012, 04:03 PM

yep just use a ratchet and a 1 1/8 socket
Old January 8th, 2012, 07:14 AM
car guy

can i also hand crank the motor for this?
you can but its 100% easier with the starter
Old January 8th, 2012, 07:43 AM
NôôB

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Into your #8 cylinder.

How much are you losing?

- Eric
From the day i posted the video it seemed to drain almost all the way. Its not the radiator cause i took the one from the 69 and installed it just to see if that was the problem. Havent ran it or anything since the video either.
Old January 12th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Banned

They both sound the same, I wonder why that is ?
Old February 29th, 2012, 10:00 AM
NôôB

While on lunch i had an appiphany (epifany?). Could it be the drain plugs on the bottom of the block? like there is a small leak there? Reason i am thinking this and not the Cylinder leakage is cause of the level that the water is at on the radiator and it seems to not have changed in a while.

No running it or anything like that as well for this much drainage btw
Old February 29th, 2012, 01:22 PM

I'm getting flashbacks of a bad rod bearing but I sure hope it's not for your sake. GL
Old February 29th, 2012, 01:36 PM
NôôB

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
I'm getting flashbacks of a bad rod bearing but I sure hope it's not for your sake. GL

Yes bad rod bearing but wrong car lol. That was on my H/O and it is awaiting rebuild. I do have a temp motor going in her so hopefully she will be running soon