Another issue

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2008, 10:22 PM

Another issue

This is what happened. First the timing was off; fixed that. Drove the car home after getting a full tank of gas and parked it in the garage and everything was fine. I had to go back to the interior shop to have them fix something they skipped (they covered the rear interior lights with leather). On my way to the shop (about 2 miles from my home on a two lane highway) in the middle of me accelerating the car just turned off. Good thing there was a parking lot and I was able to get off the road. I tried to start it and no luck. I got it towed home and noticed I wasn’t getting any fuel to the carb. So I changed the fuel pump and gas is flowing to the carb. It started once and car ran for about 30-40 sec then died. I tried to start it again and again and it started for a few sec and then dies. I got it started again and tried to give it gas and died again. I checked the fuel lines and they are good, and the carb is about a year old so I don’ think it is either one of the three stated above. Has anyone experienced this and what did you do to fix it? Thank you for your help.
Old August 12th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Just the facts...

is the fuel filter in the inlet of the carb. good(not clogged)?
if the filter is ok...
it's time for a fuel pressure test and a fuel volume test.

fuel pressure should be 5-7 p.s.i.
fuel volume should be about a quart during 15 seconds of cranking.

other possibilities are leaks(air) in the fuel supply lines from the pickup(in the tank), to the fuel pump.
or, a clogged in-tank filter(sock).

bill
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by nohn
This is what happened. First the timing was off; fixed that. Drove the car home after getting a full tank of gas and parked it in the garage and everything was fine. I had to go back to the interior shop to have them fix something they skipped (they covered the rear interior lights with leather). On my way to the shop (about 2 miles from my home on a two lane highway) in the middle of me accelerating the car just turned off. Good thing there was a parking lot and I was able to get off the road. I tried to start it and no luck. I got it towed home and noticed I wasn’t getting any fuel to the carb. So I changed the fuel pump and gas is flowing to the carb. It started once and car ran for about 30-40 sec then died. I tried to start it again and again and it started for a few sec and then dies. I got it started again and tried to give it gas and died again. I checked the fuel lines and they are good, and the carb is about a year old so I don’ think it is either one of the three stated above. Has anyone experienced this and what did you do to fix it? Thank you for your help.
This is usually an indication of crud in the fuel tank. The crud gets sucked up against the pickup screen, cutting off fuel flow. When the engine shuts down, the fuel pump stops sucking and the crud falls back into the tank, to be sucked up again.
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:39 AM

If you do have debris in your tank then you can clean and repair it with a rebuild kit from POR 15. I haven't used it yet on my fuel tank; however, I have used some of their other products. I highly recommend them. Oldsguy used it on one of his Oldsmobiles.
Old August 14th, 2008, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the information. I did a little test to see if it was crud blocking the fuel from the tank by bouncing the rear end of the car for a few min on both the driver and passenger side. I let it sit for about a minute and then tried to start it. It started like a champ. Ran for a few min, gave it gas with no problem. Then it died again. So once again the olds family hit the nail on the head again and I am waiting on my order of POR 15 fuel tank restoration kit. I will post the results after it arrives and have a chance to work on it. The next time it gets started I will be taking her straight to the lot to have her shipped back to the states. Thanks again.
Old August 14th, 2008, 12:18 PM

When you start applying the POR 15 make sure you use gloves and a good mask. I bought a $30 respirator and it helped immensley. They include a 3M dust mask in their kit but IMHO that doesn't cut the mustard. POR 15 is some NASTY stuff, but it sure works well.
Old August 14th, 2008, 06:07 PM

Some radiator shops will flush and reline the gas tank. Only thing I did not like is they put a drain *** on the tank. Other then that $125, and it is like new. No mess.
Old September 1st, 2008, 04:24 AM

Thumbs up Right on time

Thanks Hamm36,

The order I placed with POR 15 was canceled due to living over seas ad shipping HASMAT. So I ordered a new tank from Fusick and that was canceled due to size limitations. On Saturday I removed the gas from the tank and I will be taking it to a shop to have it cleaned on Wednesday. This post couldn’t come at a better time! I was getting worried because my time is about to end here in Naples and I need to ship the car A.S.A.P. A few guys here offered to buy it if I couldn't get it fixed in time to ship it. Back to San Diego, nice try, but that isn't going to happen. I will have her back on the road by the end of this week and ready for her boat ride back to America. Thanks again
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:20 PM

Update

She is up and running now. The fuel tank was cleaned and all fuel lines were flushed. One of the hoses from the tank to the fuel pump had to be replaced. On Monday I will take her to get detailed then drop her off to get shipped back to the states. Thanks for all the help.
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:48 PM
car guy

. One of the hoses from the tank to the fuel pump had to be replaced.
As soon as a read this that was my first thought. I had a 68 convertible that had been sitting for several years. I was having the same problems and chased it down to the supply hose had a tiny crack. Its was sucking just enough air to loose suction but did not leak any fuel. Glad you got it figured out.
Old September 20th, 2008, 08:39 PM

I was getting worried because my time is about to end here in Naples and I need to ship the car A.S.A.P.
I have been to Naples, although I don't remember much about it. I was in the Marine Corps on the USS Fairfax County, 91-92. Getting off ship and getting drunk were the only goals in life at that time.

Were you in the Navy their? If so thank you for your service to our Country.

I learned about tank vent lines when fuel was poring out of the side of my tank. It was only dry rot in the vent line with a full tank. I replaced all the vent and fuel line rubber when I redid the tank. Highly recommend, cheap fix to prevent future problems.
Old September 24th, 2008, 06:37 AM

Hamm36,

Yes I'm in the Navy, and it’s ok if you don’t remember much about your visit to Naples. If you’re not into history you didn't miss anything. No problem Hamm36, I'm just doing my part.

I had the fuel tank cleaned and everything turned out good for now. I just needed a quick fix to get her shipped back to the states. I will be leaving Naples in about a week heading back to San Diego OH YEAH!! My time here went fast and slow at the same time. I can't wait to get back to all the luxuries the US has to offer. If you think you have it bad in the states, take a trip to a not so wealthy county, set back look around and think about all that the states has to offer. Here is a question for everyone. What would you do without a fast food joint on every other block and the only restaurants to eat at you have to sit and order food (no drive throw windows In Naples)? I sound good at first because all your food is fresh, but on that late night after work and you’re tired don't feel like cooking and you can't speak the local language that well , what are you going to do?

I'm ready to come back home to the US. Please everyone do one thing for me. I would like to have all of the Olds family to be at the San Diego airport on OCT 3rd for my home coming. Thank you and I will see you all there. Just joking! If anyone is in San Diego I hope to see you driving around one day. Take care!
Old September 24th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Past Administrator

Good for you. I remember homecomings so fondly. Family on the pier with everyone else, scanning the crowd for that one special face. Even if you don't have that special someone to come home to, seeing all your shipmates greeting their family, wife and kids. It is a great feeling and something I will never forget. Then, second to that, the elation of finally driving down an American street and being able to see four to five fast food joints within a quarter mile, seeing banks on the corner, American iron everywhere, guys on Harley Davidson bikes, dogs on the street, kids on skateboards, Quick Trips, bowling alleys, etc. I understand your excitement my friend, and know how you look forward to it. Enjoy it for every moment it is worth.
Old September 24th, 2008, 11:12 AM

What would you do without a fast food joint on every other block
We probably wouldn't be so fat!
Old September 24th, 2008, 11:32 AM

Happy Homecoming and welcome back

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
able to see four to five fast food joints within a quarter mile,
What No Mickey D's in Diego Garcia?
Old September 24th, 2008, 09:26 PM

If you think you have it bad in the states, take a trip to a not so wealthy county, set back look around and think about all that the states has to offer.
For that matter go to any other county with your eye open and see. I have herd for years, for example, "Were going to Mexico for vacation." I respond, "Go to the Smithsonian, or some where here in the States. Quit feeding the problem and see your County." Major problem with civilians they do not appreciate the U. S. of A..
"Job well done, Sailor." from your family here in Texas.
Old September 25th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Official Tire Kicker

hey

I am in San Diego. Where are you going to be stationed at here? I work on 32nd Street at the Fleet Industrial Supply Center. I am a MM and I am on the Fleet Assist Team over there. You can PM me through this board when you get here and I can tell you where a bunch of the local motorheads meet up on Saturday night. They are mostly MOPAR guys but I could use another Olds guy to help me fend off their BS sometimes!

Last edited by Willidog; September 25th, 2008 at 12:46 AM.