Aluminum Radiator install

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2010, 07:34 PM

Aluminum Radiator install

Figured I post information concerning the new radiator I just put in, should someone else have the same idea.

I used this radiator at this link:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedw...ator,5391.html

I assumed that it would just bolt right in. Well, you know how that story ends.

So, I get the package and take the radiator out of the box and go to set it in place. The tanks did not line up with the lower support brackets. So I measured the core dimensions of the new and old radiator and they matched. So I scratched my noggin and looked at the tanks of the old and new one. The new radiator tanks are symmetrical where the old radiator's main tank (the one with the fill cap) is almost double the size of it's tank on the opposite side. Consequently, the tank seams (that rest in the lower brackets) off the new radiator were not the same location as the old radiator.

So, on with the fabrication. I chiseled off lower support brackets and drilled new holes in the brackets and support and bolted them in the new location. I had to trim the edges of the lower support brackets to accommodate the thickness and welds of the new tanks. I also had to trim upper support brackets as well for the same reason.

Instead of relocating the upper control brackets, I left them in place and elongated the holes of the radiator shroud in order for the bolts to find their mates.

All in all everything was off about 7/8". I got everything to fit and it does not look too bad. The only obvious change (other than the aluminum radiator) was the fender washers I used to hide the holes that I elongated on the radiator shroud. Everything lines up real well, no new bends in the transmission lines or radiator hoses, etc.

It took a day to do everything, and if I wasn't so ticked off that the radiator was not a "replacement" I would have had the patience to take pictures of everything.

The radiator is performing well so far. I have it paired up with a 160* thermostat and I am running 169* on average at highway speeds.

Anyway, I figured this may or may not prevent someone from doing this in the future.

d1
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:42 PM
GM Enthusiast

Good write up. Unfortunately, been there, done that! I bought a 4 core aluminum radiator for my 69 Cutlass from a company that advertised USA made radiators on ebay. Supposedly direct fit but I had to do the same mods you did. I did get excellent results, just more work than I planned.
Old May 19th, 2010, 04:29 AM
this is not my car lol

ugh...ditto here...my 3 row all aluminum was about 8 inches short.

i returned mine and am waiting for the replacement unit ..delays delays delays

so far the guys have been very accommodating in fixing this problem. they admitted they screwed up in posting the wrong year in the ad