Advice on removing points and replace with a MSD ignition

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2013, 04:47 PM

Advice on removing points and replace with a MSD ignition

Took the 72 cutlass to the shop and my mechanic says I should remove the points and get an MSD for a better drive. I was wondering if you guys can give me pros and cons since I have no knowledge on MSD products. My engine is a 350. Thanks
Old January 17th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Alex72cutty
... my mechanic says I should remove the points and get an MSD for a better drive.
He's wrong, unless your engine has a pretty big cam (and / or other significant modifications).

- Eric
Old January 17th, 2013, 05:03 PM

Everything is stock as far as I know. He said the car falls flat on it face when you punch it I'm assuming. Other people have told me that MSD is a better way to go. I was thinking maybe some fine tune up on the points would do the trick?
Old January 17th, 2013, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
He's wrong, unless your engine has a pretty big cam (and / or other significant modifications).

- Eric
X2.
If stock and not into high RPM racing, you will get no real benefit.
My 72 has points with 8k miles on them and I sometimes look at the tach when stopped, thinking the engine has died.
I would not introduce a more complex way to do something you will not notice.

Eidt - Lady does not hesitate when provoked, either - she just gets up and moves!
Old January 17th, 2013, 05:53 PM

when it was new it did not "fall on its face" and it had points then too. either the points are bad or out of adjustment or the timing is off or the carb is in need of a rebuild. it is possible that it is a combination of them all. on a stock engine the only real benifit to getting rid of the points is that you will not have to adjust or replace the points. if you want to do that you can install a Pertronix unit into the original distributor. all in all I would say find a new mechanic that knows how to work on something that does not have a computer in it.
Old January 17th, 2013, 06:01 PM

this weekend im gonna do a distributor swap from a 75-80 olds v8 (any will work). I have a 73 with points i just want a little hotter spark it will run better, my advice is dont go msd just go electronic ign. if u need any more advice just holler
Old January 17th, 2013, 06:06 PM

Or a point eliminator kit is an option! something like this http://pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor2/default.aspx
Old January 17th, 2013, 06:06 PM

Thanks guys!!! Keeping all advice in mind. The carb is 2 years old. I'm not sure about the distributor and points. I have had them adjusted when I got the car two years ago.
Old January 17th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Senior Moment Member

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
when it was new it did not "fall on its face" and it had points then too. either the points are bad or out of adjustment or the timing is off or the carb is in need of a rebuild. it is possible that it is a combination of them all. on a stock engine the only real benifit to getting rid of the points is that you will not have to adjust or replace the points. if you want to do that you can install a Pertronix unit into the original distributor. all in all I would say find a new mechanic that knows how to work on something that does not have a computer in it.
X2 on this. Sounds like a carb issue to me. Get that fixed and put in some new points and I bet you'll forget all about an MSD.
Old January 17th, 2013, 08:51 PM

Points eliminator

The points eliminator is awesome, was easy to install, reliable, and fits in the stock cap, just need 8mm plug wires. Pertronix ignitor 3
Old January 17th, 2013, 09:36 PM

I will have the carb and the points looked at before I do anything. I will keep you all informed.
Old January 18th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

I will have the carb and the points looked at before I do anything. I will keep you all informed.
Good idea. I don't know how many times this has come up, but an electronic ignition system will provide NO performance benefit over points in good condition. Now, some of the new MSD units have the ability to electronically alter the advance curves, which makes tuning easier, but if the original hardware is properly set up (and I'm guessing that on a totally stock engine, it is), you will not see ANY improvement.

Keep in mind that the whole reason that GM went to the HEI distributor was for emissions. Specifically, the feds required that new cars meet emissions requirements after 50,000 miles with no tuneup whatsoever (a sad commentary on the maintenance habits of the general public). Points can't do that.
Old January 18th, 2013, 09:49 AM

I have installed Pertronix kits on several cars and boats over years. My Olds had HEI added somewhere in its past. Never had one fail and one less maintenance issue to worry about. Just set it and forget it, but no performance gain as mentioned above.

In your case, I agree with keeping points (cheap) until the other issues are resolved. Then consider some form of points replacement if you want to.
Old January 18th, 2013, 06:48 PM

I love todays "mechanics" who assume that since a car is old and has outdated technology that everything needs to be replaced with the latest and greatest new parts.

When I worked in a Buick dealership years ago a kid told the service writer that the reason the customers car hesitated and was hard to start was due to not being fuel injected. Yep, every car built prior to the mid 80s was plagued with hard starts and poor drivability. I'm guessing the mechanic who suggested the electronic ignition had never heard of setting dwell, or even how to adjust it.

People managed just fine with ignition points, carburetors, etc. Get the parts on the car working the way its suppose to and I'm sure it will run fine. However, an MSD or other electronic ignition wont need to be adjusted or require periodic maintenance. Thats about the only benefit a stock engine would have.
Old January 18th, 2013, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Keep in mind that the whole reason that GM went to the HEI distributor was for emissions. Specifically, the feds required that new cars meet emissions requirements after 50,000 miles with no tuneup whatsoever (a sad commentary on the maintenance habits of the general public). Points can't do that.
a few years ago Hot Rod or someone did a big comparison of carb vrs EFI. the reason they did it was everyone says that efi makes more power, idles better, etc, etc. they did the fine tuning on each before the test using the same engine changing only the intake. the carb made more power by a touch nearly everywhere except a couple spots in the midrange and idled as well as the efi with similar A/F ratios. the whole point in them doing it was to show that just because there is new tech it does not mean it makes it run better. cars ran for how many years with points with no major issues? unfortunately now days if the mechanic can not plug a laptop into it and let it tell him how to fix it he is lost.
Old January 18th, 2013, 07:21 PM

Electronic ignition is reliable and maintenance free, up 'til the day it just dies on you without warning. From my two experiences on two other vehicles, this occures far from home after it gets nice and hot. Had I had points, a screwdriver and maybe a file could have saved me from the tow truck.
Old January 18th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Senior Moment Member

I may have told this one already. When I owned my Speed Shop, Straightline Performance in New Lenox Illinois, I had a kid working there who went to Wyotech and thought he knew everything. They were rebuilding my Vette motor. The kid said it was nearly ready, all it needed was the distributor dropped in so he had to wait for the head wrench. I asked him why? He told me he didn't know how to do it! His knowledge was in coil packs etc. LOL!
Old January 19th, 2013, 04:01 AM

I got my car back today and MSD is out of the picture. He said something about a carb rebuild and I'm thinking that changing the spark plugs would be an added plus. I've driven about 13,000miles since my last tune up in two years..Geesh!!!! Does anyone know a good mechanic in the DFW area that is well trained on points and carb?? I'm open on the location.
Old January 19th, 2013, 07:06 AM

Does anyone know a good mechanic in the DFW area that is well trained on points and carb?? I'm open on the location.
Only ones I know of are members of this forum!
Old January 19th, 2013, 10:30 AM

only reason Im switching to pertronix is to avoid the upkeep of points. I heard the pertronix can deliever and better burn which can increase fuel mileage but I dont know how true this is...
Old January 30th, 2013, 01:05 PM

I put an original pertronix set up on my 350 about 6 years ago....havent had a problem yet. Cost me about 80 for the unit, and 40 for the coil. saves headaches if you just hate messing with points.
Old February 4th, 2013, 07:26 AM

Comes out that my points was bad. I replaced them and reset the timing and replace my fuel filter and car runs like new. Setting the dwell was a pain in the butt. I think changing to an HEI and getting rid of points will be a good way to go.
Old February 4th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

Comes out that my points was bad. I replaced them and reset the timing and replace my fuel filter and car runs like new.
Yet again, try the easy/cheap things first before throwing hundreds of dollars at a problem...

Setting the dwell was a pain in the butt.

Sorry, but apparently you're doing something wrong. The Delco window distributor is THE easiest for setting dwell. Simply insert an allen wrench in the points through the window in the cap and you can adjust the dwell while the engine is running. Of course, you need to recheck the timing after setting the dwell properly.
Old February 4th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Hot Rod Has Been

Comes out that my points was bad. I replaced them and reset the timing and replace my fuel filter and car runs like new. Setting the dwell was a pain in the butt. I think changing to an HEI and getting rid of points will be a good way to go.
just wondering why setting the dwell was so tuff?
Old February 4th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Setting the dwell was a pain in the butt.
To echo Joe:

• Start engine
  • Clip two or three meter leads to battery (+), battery (-), and coil (-)
  • slide open little metal cover
  • Insert allen key (or fancy spring-shaft tool like I've got )
  • Turn until meter needle is on "30°"
  • Disconnect meter, slide door shut.

Total time maybe three minutes. Maybe.

What did YOU do?

- Eric
Old February 4th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Hot Rod Has Been

If you don't have a dwell meter you can get it close by turning the allen wrench in until it mis-fires then back it off until the misfire stops...
Old February 4th, 2013, 09:39 AM

Well maybe it was my Allen wrench was short. Plus, it was my first time doing it.
Old February 4th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

What you really need is one of these:

Failing that, a ball-end Allen key will be much easier to use than a regular one.

- Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
GM Points Adjuster.jpg (39.9 KB, 154 views)
Old February 4th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

Well maybe it was my Allen wrench was short. Plus, it was my first time doing it.
Just remember, it's not the SIZE of your, ahem, allen wrench, it's how you use it... But yeah, the first time can be a problem.

(sorry, SOMEONE had to say it )
Old February 4th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

And apparently Eric's allen wrench is longer, but also more flexible.

OK, I'll stop now.
Old February 4th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Doesn't matter, Joe, as long as it hits the right spot .

- Eric
Old February 4th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Not even going there.
Old February 4th, 2013, 02:58 PM

Lol.... Hopefully soon I will convert over to HEI, but thanks for that picture. I will get on just in case
Old February 4th, 2013, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
And apparently Eric's allen wrench is longer, but also more flexible.

OK, I'll stop now.
maybe Eric has a big allen wrench because he is over compensating for something else.
Old February 4th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
maybe Eric has a big allen wrench because he is over compensating for something else.
Nope. That's why I shoot .45 ACP and .44 Mag, and not 9mm . Gotta compensate somehow.

Reminds me of my favorite haiku, though:

My P___s is small
Perhaps this will compensate
Harley Davidson

- Eric
Old February 4th, 2013, 09:41 PM

Hey, in my "72 Olds 350/350, 4bbl, I just threw in an HEI from the garage pile I had. Everyone was telling me too. They were exciting me with talk of better starts (true), and more speed and power.and I wasnt a member here yet (wouldnt have done it, if I was).
I installed a stock HEI from a 77 Olds, and MSD cap, with a "more powerful coil", and the "performance" ignition module. Set the timing and I was done.
My engine already ran great, and timing and carb was top notch.
A couple of hours max (including trips back & forth to the beer fridge), job done.
Other than an immediatly noticeble smoother idle, I was expecting something miraculous when I stomped on the long pedal but..... yawn.... just more smoothness. So, In my opinion, if want want more smooth, this is a good add on. Im sure theres a gain in power somewhere, but it aint much.

Did I mention its smooooth now????

Oh well. Back to my wiring.........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
My Olds.jpg (99.5 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Gone Johnson; February 4th, 2013 at 09:45 PM. Reason: forgot something